You are not logged in.

Tuesday, February 3rd 2009, 3:54pm

Historically, the ownership/control of the Canal wasn't much of an issue because the US was the only major power in the Western Hemisphere. The European powers used it, but it wasn't critical to them (Suez was more important). Here in WW, I'd expect Iberia to have concerns about the Canal being in US or Atlantean hands if there was only 1 canal, because Iberian relations with those countries have historically been tense at times and Iberia's west coast of the Americas possessions really need Iberia to have naval access to them.

As far as size goes, Panamax was an issue in US defense planning, as up until the Montana and Midway class ships, previous designs were all carefully sized to fit through the canal. For civilian shipping, no, it wasn't an issue during the 1930s.

Tuesday, February 3rd 2009, 5:10pm

I'd expect some friction with Iberia if the Panama canal was in Atlantean hands. Atlantis would effectively have Iberia's Pacific possessions over a barrel. I'd likely have to be dealing with Mexico's mis-trust and I suspect Atlantean/American relations wouldn't be as rosy either.

Atlantis has no Pacific possessions, just allies. If Atlantis had built the canal I suppose some moves to aquire territory in the pacific would have been made perhaps even at the expence of the Atlanteans historical rival, Iberia. They might have lost the central American territory's they have now.

If the U.S had the canal Iberian/American relations would likely be worse than they are now, America's monroe doctrine might be as historical and include all of South America.

Tuesday, February 3rd 2009, 8:43pm

ok, I must be missing something.....

Did Bernard start something with the US and Atlantis?

Because I know of no moves on my behalf that would cause such tension?

I can appreciate the Iberian American war, ok, but what else is there?

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 5:26am

Iberia for a short time controled portions of Atlantis before Atlantis drove them out. Following that you have the countless minor wars/skirmishes between Atlantis and Iberia that ended about the time America was becoming a threat to Iberia. Also durring this time Venezuela joined the Atlantean confederation and Colombia became independant from Iberian influence peacefully as a sort of bribe to keep Atlantis from assisting the U.S. vs. Iberia.

Bernard and I deduced that the Atlantean fleet formed in basically the same way vs the Iberian fleet as the American fleet did in its war of independence vs Britain, small skirmishes that eventually atrited Iberians limited resources.

Also in the wars of independence in South America Atlantis sent many mercenary's in support much the same way as the French helped the U.S. vs. Britain.

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 5:31am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Also in the wars of independence in South America Atlantis sent many mercenary's in support much the same way as the French helped the U.S. vs. Britain.

Which, I think, is probably the reason the Chilean Navy buys so many Atlantean ships, rather than buying British as historically they did. Chile might be able to claim Bold Cochrane, but maybe I should add a small history of Atlantean officers serving under him?

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 6:58am

You could likely. The Chileans also seem to have had lots of help from Nordmark too.

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 7:06am

Which reminds me that somewhere Ithekro detailed a bit of that era's history... I wonder.

((I need some more "Capitan" names for my warships, so I'm kinda on the hunt...))