You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, January 26th 2009, 6:02pm

Chinese Antarctic Base

Quoted

Originally posted by parador
For the protection of the new founded Sino-Chinese-Research-Station in Antarctica was the
I. Antarctic-Regiment founded, which is part of the II. Mountaindivsion.

China's deploying a regiment of troops to the Antarctic? Whatever for? I have to protest, both OOC and IC: deploying a full regiment of troops to Antarctica is 100% nutzoid, and an extremely provocative move since no other power, to my knowledge, has deployed troops in Antarctica.

Monday, January 26th 2009, 6:41pm

Since there is no Antarctic treaty they can deploy whatever they want, how they are going to keep them alive is another matter

Monday, January 26th 2009, 6:48pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Since there is no Antarctic treaty they can deploy whatever they want, how they are going to keep them alive is another matter

With an entire regiment of troops available a couple should survive after turning to cannibalism.

Monday, January 26th 2009, 6:49pm

A complete waste of time and resources, mefinks, to post 2,000 plus troops to guard a meaningless outpost.

Monday, January 26th 2009, 7:00pm

Agreed. I could maybe understand a platoon-sized unit, but anything larger is going to present massive supply headaches. A Chinese platoon would still probably be the largest military force in Antarctica at the moment, for that matter.

I know the Philippines had some Antarctic troop plans batted about in old news posts; but I'm fairly confident in saying none of the other Antarctic nations have deployed large troop formations to Antarctica. China's move - in defense of a research station which isn't even on their own land! - is highly provocative.

Monday, January 26th 2009, 7:02pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

With an entire regiment of troops available a couple should survive after turning to cannibalism.

Thats the most realistic thing about the whole issue!

Monday, January 26th 2009, 7:53pm

A Punishment Regiment perhaps! Being forced to eat each other to survive, the two remaining ones get a repriave and then executed for cannibalism.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Jan 26th 2009, 7:53pm)

Monday, January 26th 2009, 8:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
A Punishment Regiment perhaps! Being forced to eat each other to survive, the two remaining ones get a repriave and then executed for cannibalism.

*Snerk*

Sounds more like a Japanese Army unit than a Chinese Army unit.

Monday, January 26th 2009, 9:50pm

China hasn't send any troops to the Antarctis !!

Yes, there is a regiment which has the task to protect the research station, but i have never mentioned that there were send any troops !!!
And you are surely right, send a whole regiment is waste of time and material. But if you will send one platoon, you have to build others for it, because the men need time to rest and refit.

So there is no need to protest !

Monday, January 26th 2009, 10:01pm

Quoted

Originally posted by parador
China hasn't send any troops to the Antarctis !!

Yes, there is a regiment which has the task to protect the research station, but i have never mentioned that there were send any troops !!!
And you are surely right, send a whole regiment is waste of time and material. But if you will send one platoon, you have to build others for it, because the men need time to rest and refit.

So there is no need to protest !

Like I said, I could understand a platoon-sized unit being deployed; and having a rotation makes sense and so a company might still be reasonable to me. I'm not protesting that China wants to create an Antarctic presence (after all, it's in SATSUMA's charter). Nor am I protesting that they'd want the means to protect that presence; I'm just alarmed at that word regiment. The implied size of the unit raises my suspicions particularly as (AFAIK) no-one else but SATSUMA is deploying troops to Antarctica.

Since no one else has deployed troops (again, SFAICT), it makes me suspicious of what SATSUMA's intentions on the continent are.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Jan 26th 2009, 10:05pm)

Monday, January 26th 2009, 10:05pm

Are there any Internationally recognized claims in Antarctica (WWTL)?

Monday, January 26th 2009, 10:11pm

Quoted

Are there any Internationally recognized claims in Antarctica (WWTL)?

As far as I know, there's never really been any discussion on the issue of who recognizes the claims. Somewhere, though, I found a full map with the WW claims (not the map currently part of the Big Ass Map, but one just of Antarctica).

Edit: here we go.

Think the image is by Canis, from 2005.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Jan 26th 2009, 10:13pm)

Monday, January 26th 2009, 10:18pm

?( It would be interesting to know ;)

Monday, January 26th 2009, 10:39pm

Would you believe I have found a claim from nordmark here

Nordmark maintains these claims, and has proved its commitment to the Antarctic, and will soon announce a fresh research plan.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Earl822" (Jan 26th 2009, 10:41pm)

Monday, January 26th 2009, 11:02pm

Traditionally in OTL, only the powers which themselves maintained claims in Antarctica recognized the claims of other national claims in Antarctica.

I would be willing to advance Chile's recognition of the current status quo in Antarctica, with the caveat that the claims end at 60 South, and Chile will note that the overlapping claims are "undecided at present". [Note 1]

Chile will permit non-military scientific or exploration expeditions with permission to transit Chilean-claimed Antarctic territories, so long as:
- The transiting expedition notifies the Chilean government as soon as practically possible of their trek;
- Any geographical and scientific notes, maps, charts, etc taken during said expeditions are sent in facsimile to the Chilean government records office.
- No permanent base camps are established in Chilean territory;

I will begin building a new Chilean Antarctic expedition myself.

Note 1: Chile would probably prefer to see the overlapping claims decided in favor of Nordmark and France, seeing as Chile has warmer (ha ha, I'm so pun-ny) relations with them than with the SAE.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Jan 26th 2009, 11:05pm)

Monday, January 26th 2009, 11:34pm

Since Chile´s claims arent recognized they are going to attack foreign expeditions on international territory not observing Chilean demands?

Monday, January 26th 2009, 11:35pm

Quoted

Since Chile´s claims arent recognized they are going to attack foreign expeditions on international territory not observing Chilean demands?

Excuse me?

Monday, January 26th 2009, 11:37pm

Chile´s claims have been recognized? In what treaty?

Monday, January 26th 2009, 11:44pm

Please re-start from the beginning.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 12:11am

Just note that that map is wrong as it is missing the entire Australian claim, which starts next to the Filipino claimand goes from there until halfway in the SAE-French claim.

And why do people care that the Chinese are sending troops to Penguinland. Better there than elsewhere, let them freeze their butts of.