You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 12:15am

From what I remember the SAE's opinion was "its mine, mine, all mine"

But its all rather pointless.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 12:17am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
But its all rather pointless.

Which is why the US and Germany will simply watch whatever goes on there with bemused expressions.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 12:25am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Please re-start from the beginning.

Well you Chile said what it will allow in its claim, so how do you intend to enforce it?

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 12:27am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Which is why the US and Germany will simply watch whatever goes on there with bemused expressions.

The US is glad they invented the ice machine and so don't have to cut chunks out of the Antarctic and then ship it back.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 12:38am

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad

Quoted

Please re-start from the beginning.

Well you Chile said what it will allow in its claim, so how do you intend to enforce it?

My statement virtually issued blanket permission for the transit of scientific expeditions across Chilean Antarctic territory, with certain caveats: 1. inform us, and 2. give us copies of the maps afterwords to keep our atlases updated. What's this about enforcement?

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 12:42am

Quoted

Chile will permit non-military scientific or exploration expeditions with permission to transit Chilean-claimed Antarctic territories, so long as:

- The transiting expedition notifies the Chilean government as soon as practically possible of their trek; - Any geographical and scientific notes, maps, charts, etc taken during said expeditions are sent in facsimile to the Chilean government records office. - No permanent base camps are established in Chilean territory;
I will begin building a new Chilean Antarctic expedition myself.

Note 1: Chile would probably prefer to see the overlapping claims decided in favor of Nordmark and France, seeing as Chile has warmer (ha ha, I'm so pun-ny) relations with them than with the SAE.

It looks to me like quite a lot of things

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 1:05am

I still don't understand what you're trying to get at. Chile has historically claimed this territory, and offered blanket permission for scientific expeditions, and you're demanding I account for how I intend to enforce the three points of courtesy Chile requested?

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 1:14am

Well Persia has a lot of historical claims that mean abslotly nothing unless you are willing and able to enforce them especially in an area where there are no treaty regulating the claims.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 1:32am

Quoted

Well Persia has a lot of historical claims that mean abslotly nothing unless you are willing and able to enforce them especially in an area where there are no treaty regulating the claims.

Heh, like the historical claims to, say, Azerbaijan, or Asia Minor, or maybe Greece, in all of which Persia is completely unable to enforce their claims? :P A pity, that...

[SIZE=1]Must not taunt the Happy Fun Persia, must not taunt the Happy Fun Persia...[/SIZE]

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 2:38am

Quoted

The Dutch are sadly convinced that the Aussies would very much object to their reclamation of Abel Tasman's "Nieuw Holland".

There are elements of the Dutch political scene which advocate coming to the aid of their old allies, the Kingdom of Kandy. The people of Kandyland were brutally invaded by an Imperialistic power from overseas, men of a different religeon and ethnicity imposing thier ways on the poor denizens of Kandyland. *sniff* makes one tear up...

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Jan 27th 2009, 2:41am)

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 3:01am

then there is the whole Neu Amsterdan issue

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 3:08am

Quoted

Quoted

Heh, like the historical claims to, say, Azerbaijan, or Asia Minor, or maybe Greece, in all of which Persia is completely unable to enforce their claims? :P A pity, that...

[SIZE=1]Must not taunt the Happy Fun Persia, must not taunt the Happy Fun Persia...[/SIZE]

So building a base on the Chilean claim in Antarctica is simply a breach of courtesy then.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 3:23am

Quoted

So building a base on the Chilean claim in Antarctica is simply a breach of courtesy then.

Are you trying to provoke me into saber-rattling back at you? Because I'm not going to fall for that, thanks.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 5:02am

Modified from Canis' image, obviously. Well, all I did was add the countries so you don't have to cross-reference.

For the purpose of clarification, the Dominion of Canada inquires with the pertinent nations the exact nature of their interest in the territory in Antarctica; As Canada understands it, the continent is unsuited for settlement, and impractical for mining or other resource gathering, and would prefer not to see heated arguments develop into unpleasentness over this unspoiled natural treasure.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 5:12am

LoN conference on an Antarctic treaty?

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 5:17am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
For the purpose of clarification, the Dominion of Canada inquires with the pertinent nations the exact nature of their interest in the territory in Antarctica.

Chile's claim is a remnant of the Tordesilhas Line territories of Spain; Chile theoretically acquired these upon independence and has held them since the founding of the country. The claim previously started at 53 West but the claims east of 90 West were dropped rather than conflict with the Atlantean claim.

At the moment, Chile really has no interest in Antarctica besides maintaining status quo and enhancing scientific knowledge, particularly as Chile's claimed territory is the most remote and inhospitable territory on a rather remote and inhospitable continent. But if certain neighbors decide to deploy troops to Antarctica, Chile will review its Antarctic options.

It's unlikely Chile will deploy troops, but the Ejercito and Armada will launch a few mapping and geographic expeditions. (Please note that in OTL, Marie Byrd Land, which Chile claims, wasn't even explored until 1947.)

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 5:43am

Atlantis would welcome an Antartic treaty. We see things much the same way Canada does, theres little to no worth to the continent other than scientific research and as such find the placement of (or planning even) of troops on the continent useless and provocative.

We also feel it may be time to finalise the disputed claims and the seeming lack of recognition of the Australian claim.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 6:00am

Chile will be pleased to consider an Antarctic Treaty. I've been batting around the idea of proposing one myself for some time, so that runs along with my political strategy quite nicely.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 7:41am

As a power with antipodal interests in a similar region, but none in the Antarctic, Canada offers to host a conference and mediate any relevante disputes below the 66°S Parralel.

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 8:00am

Chile is amenable to a Canadian-hosted conference.

Though it's kinda ironic to hold a conference in the Northern Hemisphere on Southern Hemisphere territory. :P