You are not logged in.

Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 10:22pm

1937 in Wesworld

In 1937...

- The US, confused by the foreign alliances, asks to join them all.
- Russians dispense with the fuzzy garbage-man hats.
- Germany builds a giant tank and relocates Berlin on top of it. Berlin migrates randomly around Europe.
- Japan declares eternal war on amusement parks, and sends armies of girls in short skirts, commanding giant robots, to shut them down.
- Arthur returns to the United Kingdom and kicks out that pansy Edward. London is renamed Camelot.
- The Indians set up their first telephone helpdesk. The Dutch form neighborhood Telephony Kommandos to defeat this insidious world domination attempt. The war continues until 2136 AD.
- The French set out to mine lunar cheese. They monopolize the industry until the 24th Century.
- Australia throws some shrimp on the barbie and invites the whole world to help them eat it. Little do the other nations suspect the insidious truth...
- The ambassadors of the SAE, Argentina, and Brazil conduct a game of rock, paper, scissors; the game goes scoreless for eighty-nine rounds before the Brazilian ambassador flees and hides in a New York hot-dog stand.
- An Atlantean excavator in Egypt finds a magnificent giant ring buried in the desert. It ends up stored in a warehouse alongside the Ark of the Covenant.
- Iberia announces that, yes, you really should suspect the Iberian inquisition.
- A high-performance Italian fighter plane accidentally gets sucked through a wormhole, where the pilot has many adventures aboard a spaceship crewed by alien political prisoners.
- Annoyed at being constantly called a FAR lackey, Turkey sneakily replaces Persia's oil reserves with Folgers coffee crystals. (Let's see if the shah notices.)
- An ethnic Bulgarian invents the modern computer.
- A Nordish band invents metal music. Within minutes, old geezers everywhere are shouting "Turn that crap off!"
- The Philippines install "No Smoking" signs on the bottom of their swimming pools. Chaos ensues.

One of these things is 100% true. Which one is it? :D

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Dec 9th 2008, 10:24pm)

Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 10:39pm

- Germany builds a giant tank and relocates Berlin on top of it. Berlin migrates randomly around Europe.

That is actually a plot from a SF series I read to my nephews! One of the cities in "De vandrande städerna" by Philip Reeve (sorry dont know the original name) is called Panzerstadt Berlin

Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 10:44pm

1 - No, not going to happen.

3 - No, no engines powerful enough, and the torsion bars would be huge.

6 - This is the most likely one to be true.

14 - Konrad Zuse, as far as I can tell, is German.... not to mention that depending on the source, his Z1 was finished in 1936. :)

Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 10:58pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
14 - Konrad Zuse, as far as I can tell, is German.... not to mention that depending on the source, his Z1 was finished in 1936. :)

Ok, ok... it was a specific type of computer. But he WAS an ethnic Bulgarian. :D

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad

That is actually a plot from a SF series I read to my nephews! One of the cities in "De vandrande städerna" by Philip Reeve (sorry dont know the original name) is called Panzerstadt Berlin

Yes, I was totally ripping that idea off. The book is published in English as Mortal Engines, I believe.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Dec 9th 2008, 11:01pm)

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 12:45am

But 2 of them are true!!!!!

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 8:42am

Quoted

- A high-performance Italian fighter plane accidentally gets sucked through a wormhole, where the pilot has many adventures aboard a spaceship crewed by alien political prisoners.

You just think its an accident until the spaceship shows up in orbit...

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 4:40pm

Quoted

- Japan declares eternal war on amusement parks, and sends armies of girls in short skirts, commanding giant robots, to shut them down.

We declare war on the ones in other countries so that everyone who wants to visit an amusement park will have to visit Japan. :D

Quoted

- An Atlantean excavator in Egypt finds a magnificent giant ring buried in the desert. It ends up stored in a warehouse alongside the Ark of the Covenant.

Well, as far as I know, only the Antarctic one was found (by the Japanese) so the one in Egypt is still there. However, it is more likely that it is stored next to the Holy Grail as one cannot find the Ark without the Headpiece of the Staff of Ra... which hangs around the neck of a Japanese admiral. :)

Quoted

- Iberia announces that, yes, you really should suspect the Iberian inquisition.

Should it not be "expect"? (Since the line is "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.")

Quoted

- An ethnic Bulgarian invents the modern computer.

He should work faster to catch up with the Japanese then. He's 6 years behind. :D

Quoted

- A Nordish band invents metal music. Within minutes, old geezers everywhere are shouting "Turn that crap off!"

Nordish? It probably has a Grave name then. :D

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 5:40pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
Well, as far as I know, only the Antarctic one was found (by the Japanese) so the one in Egypt is still there. However, it is more likely that it is stored next to the Holy Grail as one cannot find the Ark without the Headpiece of the Staff of Ra... which hangs around the neck of a Japanese admiral. :)

Why do you say that? Orriginally the only reason why the one in Antartic was found was because it was accidentially dialed up in a malfunction. Who's to say a certain ship wasn't found stuck in the northern ice shelf carrying a mysterious cargo and a very unusual hole in her side above the waterline hmmm? Paradox's, gotta love em!

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 6:59pm

you left out Canada holding a massive fleetex near 41°432553N 49°562453Wÿ, and subsequently deploying a continental shield system. (:

Thursday, December 11th 2008, 10:44pm

So when can we start 1937?

Friday, December 12th 2008, 1:27am

Quoted

My vote would be after Christmas, maybe I might have a chance to scratch myself by about the 7th of January!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Dec 12th 2008, 1:28am)

Friday, December 12th 2008, 1:57am

So I won´t be missing anything during my visit to my parents.

So other than the destruction of Serbia/Yugoslavia any other interesting story arcs planned?

Friday, December 12th 2008, 2:04am

I have one for 1937, but I'm interested to see if someone figures it out before I pull my reveal! :D

And I agree, after Christmas might be best for moving on.

Friday, December 12th 2008, 10:06am

I actually have some interesting stuff that will be going on in Brazil in 1936, but im not telling. :D

Friday, December 12th 2008, 4:56pm

Hopefully that stuff is confined to Brazil only!

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, December 15th 2008, 6:57am

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

My vote would be after Christmas, maybe I might have a chance to scratch myself by about the 7th of January!!

That would be good timing for me.
Just finished one project, have a week of lax time then Christmas. After Christmas I have some vacation and can do Q4 writing and reading this past week+'s posts then start Q1 1937.

No interesting stories specifically planned. I have planes/trucks to introduce, some military formations, an RFP for a Belgian tank, etc. I may make yet another attempt at writing up an exercise, the two (three) prior ones have perished several pages in.

Quoted

The Indians set up their first telephone helpdesk. The Dutch form neighborhood Telephony Kommandos to defeat this insidious world domination attempt. The war continues until 2136 AD.

At least the world will realize our cause is just, if only we can defeat the dreaded "hold".