You are not logged in.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 6:45pm

It´s all a bit difficult and from a roleplaying point of view you have to factor in how such international help affect opinion of the common people. For now it just sounds as if dozen countries send their ships (including warships) in some non-coordinated way to meddle into local souvereignity.

However, there is a lot of minesweeping to do once the conflict is over and the SAE is sure it will not ignite again immediately. So help from the Netherlands, Atlantis or Britain is welcome SHOULD RSAN forces be overwhelmed by the task. In that case the SAE will officially contact these governments.

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 8:21pm

I see Hoo's point but as Argentina I lack the proper ships and numbers to do the job without assistance.

Opening the River Plate is foremost to get trade going again for all of us. I don't want to lose the cattle markets another year, it hurts the balance of payments! WW needs beef and I can supply!

Also any LoN force needs Argentine, Brazilian and African naval officers in charge purely because we know where our own minefields are. There's no point a load of foreign ships bumbling up and down the coast trying to find mines. I guess loose/stray mines will be a hazard for many years to come.

Thursday, December 11th 2008, 7:47pm

This page has some interesting stats regarding minesweeping in Finnish waters...

Quoted

...in Finnish territorial waters about 30-40 vessels operated each summer during the years 1919-1923. The Navy cleared 3 000 km2 and destroyed 1 000 mines. The Navy losses were sweepers T 5 in June 1919 and MP 1 on 5 July 1919. Four men were lost during the mine clearance, two men when MP 1 was lost. Two merchantmen were lost.

Quoted

During World War II the Gulf of Finland was the most heavily mined area. After the war, by the order of the victors, clearing of the mines was Finlands duty. After the Armistice in 1944 some of the most important sea lanes were sweeped. These were mainly routes that Soviets needed to attack Germany. During a 40 days period over 700 mines, drifting mines and anti-sweeping devices were destroyed. Three vessels were lost. Twelve men were lost and nine wounded. During the main cleaning operation in 1945-1950 over 35 000 km2 was sweeped. 9276 mines or anti-sweeping devices were destroyed, about 10% of these were drifting. 28 men were lost and 37 wounded. This sweeping force was second largest in the world with 2 000 men and 200 vessels. Only Japan had a larger force.

Friday, January 9th 2009, 12:09pm

So, are these forces being sent, to help clean up the mines laid in various waters?

Friday, January 9th 2009, 4:58pm

My own ships will already be deployed to help Argentine and Brazilian sweeping operations; no SAE waters are being swept, as it appears the SAE does not want help at this time (like Brazil and Argentina do).

Friday, January 9th 2009, 5:28pm

I'd assume the Atlantean ships would sweep the Brazilian waters and perhaps Argentinian waters too if they need the help ASAP.

Friday, January 9th 2009, 5:34pm

So, should the German contingent start in Argentinian or Brazillian waters?

Friday, January 9th 2009, 6:02pm

Atlantis will devide its forces as follows.

The Destroyer depot ship Diaprepes and the MS-34, MS 35, MS-36 and MS 37 from Pappeete will head to Argentinian waters

The MS-5, MS-6, MS-14, MS-15, MS-30 and MS 31, from the Carabbean, along with the Oil Tanker Sea Lark, the Coastal force depot ships Boa vista and Orinoco and Repair Ship Assistance will head for Brazilian waters.

Germany could count on Atlantean vessels to assist if needed wherever they choose to operate.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 8:26am

The Dutch will heed RSAN wishes and only send fleet and coastal MS help if asked.

The Dutch will inform the LON and former combatents that the Paramaribo coastal MS squadron is available for aid if requested.

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 3:05pm

German sweepers can start in Argentine waters.

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 2:22pm

Should we post progress on this project here, or create a new thread, or in our own news threads, or ???