You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

howard

Unregistered

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 10:08am

About the Prince of Wales and her American Contemporaries

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval

Quoted

Second Guadalcanal is famous for what the historians DON'T really tell you.

Third Guadalcanal was the punchup between SD and Washington's crew over SD's bad case of FIGJAM.

Well seeing your support and partner cut and run out on you and then having to further play Japanese shell bait so that you can draw the pursuing Japanese off of her and onto you tends to make for bad blood between crews.

Quoted

Quoted

Your numbers are fair to middlng. Colorado was hit TWICE. You didn't say how many times she was attacked.(14)

So Colorado is an excellent design because she survived 14 Kamikaze attacks?

Did I say this? I wrote that the Colorado's crew was tired of being chased by the IJNAF. That was what I wrote. The battleship was w2ell designed but you could argue the New Mexicos were better.

Quoted

Quoted

The Japanese BUILT Kirishima themselves, and then strengthened her in a rebuild as extensive as the Italian Cavours.

Kirishima was still a 30 year old design built with 30 year old technology, metals, techniques and 10 years after her 'Best Before' date. How much money would you spend on a 20 year old car?

On a Chevy nothing. On a Rolls Royce or a Mercedes? Depends on the quality of the build.

Quoted

Quoted

KGVs on average could take two hits before something catastrophically failed.

Been playing Fighting Steel again?

Nope-reviewing such records as I could find, most recent reliable:

http://www.explorers.org/expeditions/rep…web_version.pdf

Shocking to see that the Repulse was from the description of the dive reports on the wrecks a better built ship. First source BDA. NTG.

Quoted

Quoted

Six confirmed bomb hits and one torpedo she took under weigh. No British built contemporary would have survived this. NONE.

BATTLE is proof.

Nevada survived to fight again because she sank in harbour. This supports your case how?

Cheers,

A. N. 1. Penn was in blue waters. 2. Nevada was in no danger of sinking: she was in danger of grounding nose first in the shallow entrance channel as she settled due to counter-flooding. Decision to ground elsewhere to keep the channel clear of a navigation hazard was prudent as it made traffic into and out of harbor much easier.

http://www.history.navy.mil/docs/wwii/pearl/ph59.htm

Nevada beached at Hospital Point.

The forecastle was a mess and THAT was of some concern.

This is what the USN knew of British warship bomb damage to 2 Sept. 1941.

http://www.dcfp.navy.mil/mc/museum/War_Damage/british.pdf

Note description of PoW near miss effects?

Our Navy was not impressed by this near miss result. Neither was I.

Overall report summaries for USN found here:

http://www.dcfp.navy.mil/cgi-bin/WarSummary.cgi

H.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "howard" (Nov 13th 2008, 8:27am)

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 10:54am

Quoted

Penn was in blue waters.

Penn was torpedoed anchored in Buckner Bay, Okinawa on the 12th of August and left the bay six days later under tow. Her No 3 shaft fell out on 17th October after she had been docked and 'patched' at Guam.

The only comparison between this episode and PoW is the word 'shaft'. PoW's disintergrated at maximum revs while Pennsylvania had the luxury of putting divers over the side to cut the prop off - and that the war was over.

Quoted

Only if the forward magazines had not been empty. I guess battlecruisers at Jutland would have survived that.

Quoted

I was more interested in the recomendations from the Suffolk after Norway. Note the bit futher down about starting a fire fighters school and that the USN started one too.

Cheers,

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "alt_naval" (Nov 12th 2008, 11:41am)

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 9:16am

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval

Quoted

Penn was in blue waters.

Penn was torpedoed anchored in Buckner Bay, Okinawa on the 12th of August and left the bay six days later under tow. Her No 3 shaft fell out on 17th October after she had been docked and 'patched' at Guam.

She limped into Puget Sound under her own power afterwards. Tell the rest of it. Her last sortie was to the Marshalls where she was atom bombed along with a bunch of other ships during Operation crossroads. She was towed to Kwajalein and then deliberately scuttled.

Quoted

The only comparison between this episode and PoW is the word 'shaft'. PoW's disintergrated at maximum revs while Pennsylvania had the luxury of putting divers over the side to cut the prop off - and that the war was over.

A devastating hit is a hit is a hit. The springing of a shaft mount is meaningless at the forces inviolved.You know this with the overburden forces involved with a Japanese aerial torpedo [about 300 megajoules shock.] That is about 3X the force of smash from a 16 inch naval shell or 22 times the force you need to wreck a 12 inch in diameter power shaft by the way. It wouldn't matter if it was spinning or NOT. SNAP.

You say that its not a fairr comparison?

You want me to bring up the USS Saratoga? She definitely was a battle cruiser hull that was multiply torpedoed and bombed. She took a PoW type beating several times under weigh [Wake Island, Guadalcanal, and Iwo Jima and DID NOT SINK..

Some end for her. Done in by an atomic bomb at about 700 feet. I wouldn't even try to compare the KGVs with their Amercan counterparts with that kind of data.

US battle-cruiser hulls and apparently some British battlecruiser hulls were TOUGHER than KGVs? Physical inspection suggests this from the British and American wrecks. You can't lie about BDA.

I noticed that you shied away from the BDA assessment those divers made that proves this.

Quoted

Quoted

Only if the forward magazines had not been empty. I guess battlecruisers at Jutland would have survived that.[/quote]

Only one problem.........
The bomb hits were not in the magazine spaces......they were in crew quarters and ship's stores.

I guess British battlecruisers like the Queens and Tigers were not bomb resistant . Their barbette roofs were no where near as tough as German or American ones. I doubt they could have taken a 500 kg bomb like some of our ships did..

Quoted

Quoted

I was more interested in the recomendations from the Suffolk after Norway. Note the bit futher down about starting a fire fighters school and that the USN started one too.

WHY then didn't the RN implement? Why was PACFlt teaching the BPF damage control off Ceylon in 1944 [Sri Lanka?]-specifically the USS Saratoga to the likes of the HMS Illustrious, the HMS Renown, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, the HMS Valiant, and the MdG Richileu?

Notice what was missing? No KGVs present. WHY?

Answerr. NDG.

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 9:39am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Originally posted by howard
The Japanese BUILT Kirishima themselves, and then strengthened her in a rebuild as extensive as the Italian Cavours. Calling her a slightly larger Tiger is inaccurate.

And, if you'll review what I said, I did not claim she was "larger" than Tiger... I stated "like a stronger, uglier Tiger." Please don't misquote me to make me say something I didn't say.

Quoted

Hm, more like a stronger, uglier Tiger than the Hood...

Like a Tiger- a stronger uglier Tiger. You made the direct comparison there; Brock.

KONGO was FIRST Brock. Tiger was redesigned on the weigh in response to HER and was actually nothing like her.

:P

That was why I pointed out the Kirishima was KONGO class.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "howard" (Nov 13th 2008, 9:41am)

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 11:10am

Quoted

Tell the rest of it.

Why? The rest of it has little to do with critical hit in 1941 vs critical hit in 1945. The difference is the damage control and the degree of damage and what else is happening at the same time. Why hand wavium over atom bombs? WTF has that got to do with it! Damage control and what was learnt from 1939 through to 1945 and the impact it had on saving ships at the end of the war vs the start of the war is the point I'm trying to make but I'm wasting my time.

Quoted

A devastating hit is a hit is a hit.

NO! You could pin your hand to a fence post with six nails from a nailgun, ow, ow, ow, ow ow, ow, but wont kill you. In 1939, you don't have a claw hammer in reach. In 1945, you do. OTOH you could put six nails in your head like this guy and it should be more than you can cope with - you would think.

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0awM9I23Ig69o

Cheers,

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 11:30am

On the POW torpedo issue

This is from Bob Hennemens board with details of recent diver investigations of PoW sshaft. Such widespread damge could only happen because the machinery was doing near max revolutions. Obviously this can in no way be compared to the USS Penny. It´s apples and ornages.....

Quoted

Kevin Denlay
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:28 am Post subject: HMS Prince of Wales wreck gives up a long held secret!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pardon the delay in posting this update regards the outer port prop shaft on (the wreck of) HMS Prince of Wales.

As a follow up to information gathered on our May 2007 survey (see report of Expedition 'Job 74' http://www.explorers.org/...%20Job_74_web_version.pdf) two divers were recently tasked to confirm an observation UK author/historian John Roberts made after viewing video footage shot of POW's outer port prop shaft on said expedition.

Now, given the delay in posting this info, and the 'disconnect' from an earlier thread, I'll start, more or less at the 'beginning' so the context is in order for any 'latecomers'. So please forgive the long drawn out explanation/description. If ever there was an instance where a picture would be worth a thousand (or more) words, this would be it, but................................words will just have to suffice for now.

It all 'started' when John Roberts noticed what appeared to be (and actually was) a flange on the exposed end of the outer port propeller shaft in the 2007 video we sent him. Now to us mere mortal survey divers it was just the stub of the shaft at the point where the prop and A bracket attachment had sheared off. But John knew right away that there should be no flange in this position and that the nearest flange was, or should have been, inside the shaft tunnel. So, as far as he was concerned, the only way a flange could be seen in the position it is now in (i.e. outside the shaft tunnel) was that the shaft itself must have broken or parted somewhere inside the tunnel and the now exposed shaft 'pulled out' aftwards.

So with some friends upcoming South China Sea dive trip imminent (which only included one days diving on PoW I might add) and no way to get back out there myself until next year, I persuaded two of the group, both very experienced deep wreck divers (Craig Challen and Paul Garske), whose observations/measurements I could trust implicitly, to take certain exterior measurements that would confirm (or refute) Johns observation. However, knowing that one of the divers was also a very experienced cave diver used to squeezing into tight places, I figured he just might stick his head - and body - 'down the shaft tunnel' should the opportunity arise and the tunnel itself be accessible.

And just as I had hoped my expectations were exceeded, as not only did he stick his head in the tunnel, he made it all the way up the shaft tunnel to the bulkhead separating the shaft tunnel from the Y Action Machinery Room! Now to anyone without access to the ships plans, or one of the books that display the plans, this may not mean a lot, but believe me it does. And what he saw along the way is quite a revelation.

But first to state the basics, although no doubt most of you already know, a prop shaft is not just one continuous circular 'tube' so to speak, but is made up of various tubular lengths, joined at intervals by a flange, so just keep that in mind as you read on.

Upon entering the now torn and jagged entry point of the shaft tunnel to take what would have been the last of one of his measurements, Craig found that the damage caused by the flailing shaft had opened up the passageway enough to allow him to just squeeze past the next flange and into a space where the tunnel widened up considerably. In the process he noted that the length of shaft that protrudes out from the hull was still solidly attached at the flange (that he squeezed past) to another shaft length that continued on up further inside the shaft tunnel. So far so good and nothing odd there, right? But, when he got to the end of this second section of shaft (that is, two lengths of shaft joined by one flange) the shaft simply ended at the next flange! And by 'ended' I mean there was no continuation of shaft but a huge gap of about ten meters (30 odd feet) before the next section of shaft could be 'seen'. However, that next section and the next, were no longer supported up in the tunnel but lay separated on the roof (now the 'floor' as it were, as the ship is upturned) of the shaft tunnel! Swimming further in over both of those sections he then came to the intact bulkhead at the aft end of the Y Action Machinery Room (which blocked further inward travel), from which a short length of shaft protruded slightly, in its rightful place as it were, with a flange on the end. (How did he know it was the bulkhead to Y Action Machinery Room you might ask? Shining his dive light through a small gap between the shaft and the bulkhead he could see the next room had machinery in it, so it was not just a further extension of the shaft tunnel, so this could only be the aft bulkhead to Y Action Machinery Room.)

So all told the port outer shaft has sheared at four separate flanges! One just inside the shaft gland, one two lengths up the tunnel, one at the end of next length of shaft and one at end of the next length where it abuts Y Action Machinery Room.

Or traveling in the other direction as it were, i.e. leaving the aft bulkhead of Y Action Machinery Room, we have one length of shaft separated from another length of shaft (both laying on the 'floor' of the tunnel) then a big gap of about 10m/30 odd feet, then two lengths of shaft still attached together, with one of those lengths now protruding well out through the ripped open end of the shaft tunnel where the gland once was. What this all implies is that when the port outer prop and A bracket broke off and pulled away it took with it the complete length of shaft that extended from the prop / A bracket itself all the way to the first flange (which sheared) just inside the shaft gland, tearing away the gland and hull around same in the process. And that further up the tunnel the shaft continued to 'disintegrate' at several more flanges also.

Now an astute reader will also have realized that although the diver penetrated all the way to Y Action Machinery Room bulkhead there is no mention whatsoever of the other bulkheads that separated sections of the shaft tunnel. That is because they are no longer there! When John Roberts was sent the measurements and diagrams from this recent dive he said "It would seem from your descriptions that the shaft did even greater damage than anyone, including me, ever suspected, tearing up not only the bulkhead seals but ripping large sections out of the transverse bulkheads themselves. It seems likely that other damage was done to the side structure in the shaft tunnels causing side flooding as well as that fore and aft. I suppose, given the amount of power in the shaft when running at high speed this is not so surprising if the outboard end of the shaft was flaying about unsupported by its A bracket - certainly seems to have destroyed its plummer blocks."

And if discovering the separated shaft wasn't enough, the diver found something else. On his way out he examined more closely what is now the floor of the shaft tunnel (which in 'real life' was actually the roof or 'ceiling' as it were under the deck above). What he found in the area where the second (going out) of the two separated pieces of shaft lay, was at least one (and he 'thinks' he saw more) of the hatches along there to be open, whether by human failure to close or by inrushing water pressure forcing open is of course hard to say. Sadly, with his allotted dive time running out and already an extensive decompression obligation ahead of him - and a long way back to the up-line to boot - he did not have the time, nor the inclination, to investigate the area more thoroughly.

Needless to say, if several of the hatches there are found to be open, and from John Robert's belief of other possible damage, it is no wonder that the compartments inboard and above the shaft tunnel flooded so quickly. Unsurprisingly then, given the incredible noise created by that shaft tearing itself apart as it did, and the inrush of water up the shaft tunnel and through those open hatches, etc, it is no wonder that seamen in that general area erroneously thought that another torpedo had hit abaft the rear funnel.

So now, for the first time since the sinking (see following 'note'), it can be 100% confirmed that the port outer shaft did break internally (i.e. 'shear' at flanges to be more precise) and one long section of shaft was actually carried away with the prop and A bracket. (Note: At the time of PoW's sinking a Y Action Machinery Room sailor is said to have reported that the outer shaft had broken - see page 198 of Battleships: Allied Battleships in WW11 by Garzke and Dulin - but his 'report' seems to have been discounted over the years as there appears to be no other mention of it anywhere else in the numerous accounts of the event written over the years.)

So there you have it. If it wasn't for the sharp and practiced eye of John Roberts (and the inquisitive nature of some divers) none of this may have come to light.

Oh, and as an aside, in my humble opinion, given what has now been found, the disintegration of the shaft would have happened immediately after the torp first hit (between the A bracket and where the shaft entered the hull at the gland) when the A bracket itself pulled away - with a now flailing and unsupported prop spinning at high speed - not later when the shaft was restarted.

Regards,
Kevin

PS. Re the unresolved 'debate' about the long concave indentations we found/recorded on both sides of PoW's hull just below the amour belt described in our summary report; there is still no explanation from the experts on that one. It's got everyone stumped!

There also is an add-on to the above later.

Quoted

Kevin Denlay wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:57 pm Post subject: Re: HMS Prince of Wales wreck gives up a long held secret!

Gents,

Pardon dragging this old thread back up but I would like to make a correction with regards the above 'conclusion' from my initial post that started the thread.

It is now the opinion of several naval architects / experts who have since studied our survey data in detail and compared it to the actual builders plans of PoW, that the diver penetrated further along the shaft than at first thought. Taking into account the number of shaft segments the diver reported seeing (a 'segment' being from one flange to the next), the length of the shaft section he measured that protrudes out aft from the torn open shaft tunnel, and his description of the "short length of shaft that protruded slightly" from the bulkhead that stopped his further inward progress, they have come to the firm conclusion that he actually reached the aft bulkhead of the Diesel Dynamo Room, not 'just' to the aft bulkhead of Y Action Machinery Room.

Since my initial post I myself have also acquired a (half size) copy of the actual builder's plans of PoW (as opposed to the dimensionally/compartmentally accurate but much less detailed 'builders plans' published in several books; i.e. Battleships by Garzke and Dulin and British Battleships by Raven and Roberts). As one might expect, the actual builders plans are so detailed that they show the individual shaft segments and the flanges where they join. From these plans one can ascertain the actual lengths of individual segments of shaft, and how many 'segments' (i.e. shaft length flange to flange) there are between the A Bracket and the aft bulkhead of the Diesel Dynamo Room. And when the diver's measurement/description is correlated with these plans it unequivocally equates with him reaching the aft bulkhead of the Diesel Dynamo Room. Given that fact it now means that along with all the other damage to the bulkheads/plummer blocks in the shaft tunnel itself, the aft bulkhead to Y action Machinery Room is also destroyed.

One oddity remains and that is why the diver did not report seeing machinery in what he originally thought was the last section of the 'shaft tunnel' (but proves to be Y Action Machinery Room). He/we have no real explanation for this except that he was focused on / orientated towards what was below him - where the shaft lay - while whatever machinery may have been in Y Action Machinery Room would have been suspended above him as it were. Given also that it was an 'unplanned' penetration - his original task had been to only measure the length of shaft protruding from the wreck, but when he found he could squeeze past the next flange he made an on the spot decision and continued on in to the tunnel - it is not surprising given the circumstance that a diver would simply focus on the original task, observing the shaft, at the expense of all else.

In retrospect, without the aid of the detailed builders plans showing the actual shaft segments, our initial conclusion (as to him 'only' reaching the aft bulkhead of Y Action Machinery Room) was primarily influenced by his not noticing any machinery in the vicinity of the last separated segment of shaft he saw. But as I said above, when one compares what he observed regards the shaft with the actual builders plans, i.e. the number of shaft segments the plan shows prior to reaching the aft bulkhead of the Diesel Dynamo Room, and the 'unique' short length of shaft with a flange protruding from that bulkhead, then what he reported seeing and the plans are a perfect match up to that bulkhead. (Note well: Prior to his penetration up the shaft tunnel the diver had never seen any plans of PoW/KGV before, so what he reported was in no way influenced by what he may have 'expected to see'.)

So to recap. On the builders plans of PoW there are five segments of shaft and five flange joints between the A Bracket itself and the aft bulkhead of the Diesel Dynamo Room (there is no flange at/near the A Bracket). Of these five flanges four have separated and one remains intact. When the port outer prop broke off it not only carried away the A Bracket enclosure itself but approximately 17m/56ft of shaft i.e. the complete length of shaft from the A Bracket to the first shaft flange, which was forward of the gland inside the shaft tunnel. The shaft also 'broke' - or more factually 'separated' - at three more flanges, the innermost separation being at the flange just aft of where the shaft exits the bulkhead of the Diesel Dynamo Room. Over this distance only one length of shaft remains 'intact' - i.e. two segments of shaft still joined at a flange - and this is the length which now can be seen exiting the ripped open hull - while two segments of shaft lay separated further inside the wreck. In the process of breaking apart the shaft not only ripped open the hull in the vicinity of where the shaft exited at the gland but it also destroyed all the bulkheads and plummer blocks up to the aft bulkhead of the Diesel Dynamo Room.

So, allowing for this new 'correction', if one were to reread my initial post in this thread, the words "Diesel Dynamo Room" should actually be substituted wherever the words "Y Action Machinery Room" appear.

My apologies for any confusion this 'update' may cause but thought it best I attempt to at least correct in words our earlier erroneous 'conclusion'. I had hoped to have a recently produced PDF report extensively detailing the stern survey with pics, diagrams and excerpts from the builder's plans (for direct comparison) available to link this post to, but alas it is not up on the web yet.

Regards,
Kevin

The thread it came from: http://www.bobhenneman.in...postorder=asc&start=0

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 2:42pm

Quoted

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

The Japanese BUILT Kirishima themselves, and then strengthened her in a rebuild as extensive as the Italian Cavours. Calling her a slightly larger Tiger is inaccurate.

And, if you'll review what I said, I did not claim she was "larger" than Tiger... I stated "like a stronger, uglier Tiger." Please don't misquote me to make me say something I didn't say.

Quoted

Hm, more like a stronger, uglier Tiger than the Hood...

Like a Tiger- a stronger uglier Tiger. You made the direct comparison there; Brock.

KONGO was FIRST Brock. Tiger was redesigned on the weigh in response to HER and was actually nothing like her.

:P

That was why I pointed out the Kirishima was KONGO class.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Thank you.

The Splendid Cats were like Jenny Lind. The Kirishima et al were like geisha samurai pretending to be Jenny Lind. The Tiger was Jenny Lind trained as one of the Coldstream Guards.

It would have been better if Tiger had gotten the crew from HMS New Zealand. Maybe she would have done better at Dogger Bank and Jutland; but then again, there WAS the minor factor of Beatty to overcome, rather than just the Germans...

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 4:19pm

Howard, would it kill you to admit your wrong? Its not like you're loosing a kings ransom of money if you do. I'm starting to think your simply doing this to irritate the board.

You simply cannot argue that a hit on a stationary shaft and one at full revolutions is going to produce the same damage. In fact I doubt Penny would have held up as long as POW had she recived the same hit as POW and had her shaft disintigrate. She certainly would have sunk after being hit by the next 4 while dead in the water.

Quoted

You want me to bring up the USS Saratoga? She definitely was a battle cruiser hull that was multiply torpedoed and bombed. She took a PoW type beating several times under weigh [Wake Island, Guadalcanal, and Iwo Jima and DID NOT SINK..

Lexington sunk on just two bombs and two torpedo's....

Quoted

WHY then didn't the RN implement? Why was PACFlt teaching the BPF damage control off Ceylon in 1944 [Sri Lanka?]-specifically the USS Saratoga to the likes of the HMS Illustrious, the HMS Renown, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, the HMS Valiant, and the MdG Richileu?

Answerr. NDG.

KGV under refit at Cammell Laird from Feb to July in prep for transfer to Pacific, breif stops in the Med along the way, arrived in December.

DOY at Scapa, acting as distant cover for convoys vs. Tirpitz, under refit between Sept. 44 and Mar. 45.

Howe at Devonport under refit jan to April, arrived at Cylon in July.

Anson covering against Tirpitz untill June, under refit between June 44 and March 45.

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 5:26pm

RE: About the Prince of Wales and her American Contemporaries

Substituting quantity for quality in cited evidence is not an adequate alternative. Good, solid information cannot be satisfactorily replaced by material that is inaccurate, irrelevant, or both--even if such stuff is heaped together in great mounds.

Quoted

Nevada was in no danger of sinking

Except that she did in fact sink. As Wallin notes, "nearly the whole ship was flooded including the machinery spaces" and "only a few compartments were found partly dry when the ship was eventually docked." In fact, the Summary of War Damage, offered by howard to support his case, explicitly describes her "manner of sinking" as "settled bodily" as opposed to capsizing or plunging. The only thing that prevented Nevada from submerging completely was the harbor bottom. If PoW had been fortunate enough to have a harbor bottom beneath her, she would have similarly avoided completely submerging. So the citation of Nevada is inaccurate, but it's also irrelevant--the example is not instructive of anything relating to the PoW comparison.

Quoted

Note description of PoW near miss effects? Our Navy was not impressed by this near miss result.

The near-miss result was not at all impressive. It was typical mining damage that any ship might suffer. However, it is possible to cite the incident in a scornful, dismissive tone to create a false impression that the result somehow indicts the PoW design.

Quoted

It wouldn't matter if it was spinning or NOT. SNAP.

It's also possible to preface a blatantly false assertion with a word salad tossed about to camouflage the lack of foundation. The key factor in transmitting catastrophic damage up PoW's shaft alley was the fact that the shaft was turning. Until an analogous incident can be cited, there is no basis for comparison.

Quoted

You want me to bring up the USS Saratoga?

You mean the ship that was crippled by a single torpedo hit? No, because her experience was not comparable to PoW's, not in any specifics that make the comparison instructive.

Quoted

She took a PoW type beating several times under weigh [Wake Island, Guadalcanal, and Iwo Jima and DID NOT SINK.

A false statement in triplicate is a false statement. Not one of these incidents involved a "PoW type beating." In order for this statement to be true, then every instance of significant damage would have to be comparable. If that were the case, then perhaps we could harness the "power of smash" concept into something useful here. We could look at Sara's sister Lexington that sank after a couple bomb hits and two or three torpedoes, and pretend it was comparable.

Quoted

I guess British battlecruisers like the Queens and Tigers were not bomb resistant . Their barbette roofs were no where near as tough as German or American ones.

I'm not sure what Queens or Tigers are referred to here. There was a Tiger. There was a Queen Mary. They both had 62mm NC on the flatter roof plate. Derfflinger had 80mm NS. Lexington, much later and larger, had 127mm Class B. None of these is PoW, so the relevance remains a mystery.

Quoted

Tiger was redesigned on the weigh in response to HER and was actually nothing like her.

Inaccurate and irrelevant. Tiger was not redesigned in response to Kongo. She did, however, include a 3in underbelt copied from Japanese practice. That is the only design feature that can be traced to Japanese origin. The actual design history for Tiger can be found in Roberts and in Burt. You can try Parkes, but this was not his forte.

Quoted

You could pin your hand to a fence post with six nails from a nailgun, ow, ow, ow, ow ow, ow, but wont kill you.

I remain unconvinced. You don't know what a wimp I am.

HoOmAn

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 7:49pm

The Nail Gun versus Prince of Wales

Quoted

Originally posted by Tiornu

Quoted

You could pin your hand to a fence post with six nails from a nailgun, ow, ow, ow, ow ow, ow, but wont kill you.

*ROFL*

What a nice first post!

Welcome to the board, Richard!

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 7:58pm

RE: The Nail Gun versus Prince of Wales

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more to say if I can detach myself from the fence.

HoOmAn

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 8:05pm

Hehehe

Poor Roger, looks like he started something with this nail gun theme. Guess this will become our new running gag soon. Xo)

Btw, if you like to introduce yourself you may find the right place here . It´s worth (no pun intended) to take a look as it was nearly hijacked with some odd posts about Halsey....

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 8:07pm

Welcome, Tiornu! I presume you're the same Tiornu who's fiction I've read?

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 8:42pm

I do believe I'm the only Tiornu. I certainly hope so. It'd be a shame if there are more of me running around.
My novel RETURN TO KALEVALA is still in print. What could make a better Christmas gift than a tale of early Iron Age bloodshed?

HoOmAn

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 8:57pm

This debate obviously happens at the wrong time in the year. o.O

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 10:41pm

RE: About the Prince of Wales and her American Contemporaries

Quoted

Quoted

Did that once(as in 1 nail), and to a piece of decorative moulding not a fence post, and I definately would not recommend it!!

Friday, November 14th 2008, 2:13am

Quoted

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more to say if I can detach myself from the fence.

Hey Richard, welcome to the board! Need a claw hammer?

Friday, November 14th 2008, 3:06am

Sure! Either that or a saw.

howard

Unregistered

Friday, November 14th 2008, 5:37am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Howard, would it kill you to admit your wrong? Its not like you're loosing a kings ransom of money if you do. I'm starting to think your simply doing this to irritate the board.

You simply cannot argue that a hit on a stationary shaft and one at full revolutions is going to produce the same damage. In fact I doubt Penny would have held up as long as POW had she recived the same hit as POW and had her shaft disintigrate. She certainly would have sunk after being hit by the next 4 while dead in the water.

Quoted

Lexington sunk on just two bombs and two torpedo's....

Quoted

Answerr. NDG.

KGV under refit at Cammell Laird from Feb to July in prep for transfer to Pacific, breif stops in the Med along the way, arrived in December.

DOY at Scapa, acting as distant cover for convoys vs. Tirpitz, under refit between Sept. 44 and Mar. 45.

Howe at Devonport under refit jan to April, arrived at Cylon in July.

Anson covering against Tirpitz untill June, under refit between June 44 and March 45.

I would admit what the data admits. I don't deal in MYTHS.

Sorry, but distant cover is navalese for RISK AVERSION.

The rest of it is physics, but hey what do I know about Japanese plate armor which was very good and British which wasn't?

Or that the Lexington took more hits than you stated?

Two torpedoes, three bombs. Sher hung on for seven hours afterwards and was SCUTTLED by two more torpedoes to prevent capture.

I've already discussed shaft alley physics. I don't intend to repeat it.

Tiornu, the FACT I was able to prove the presence of German dud ammunition aboard the PoW inside her citadel negates your ENTIRE argument.

By the way, welcome aboard.

Howard.

PS. Its not a question a about "RIGHT". Its about "ACCURATE". I get ticked off when people bash Italian tech or Russian tech of the era or overrate the German stuff when they buy into the myths.

The KGVs and most of the British carriers of the era were compromises in design. They were built on the cheap and they suffered qualitatively for it. FACT.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Nov 14th 2008, 5:47am)

Friday, November 14th 2008, 6:56am

Quoted

I would admit what the data admits. I don't deal in MYTHS.

Apparently thats been brought into question.

Quoted

Sorry, but distant cover is navalese for RISK AVERSION.

Complete and Utter rubish, your opinion is not FACT.

Quoted

The rest of it is physics, but hey what do I know about Japanese plate armor which was very good and British which wasn't?

Why don't you demonstrate what you know.

Quoted

Or that the Lexington took more hits than you stated?

Two torpedoes, three bombs. Sher hung on for seven hours afterwards and was SCUTTLED by two more torpedoes to prevent capture.

I have several sources that state that, as do others as well. AMERICAN sources.

Quoted

I've already discussed shaft alley physics. I don't intend to repeat it.

You don't need to, you've been proven wrong. Admit it and stow the bravado.

Quoted

PS. Its not a question a about "RIGHT". Its about "ACCURATE". I get ticked off when people bash Italian tech or Russian tech of the era or overrate the German stuff when they buy into the myths.

The KGVs and most of the British carriers of the era were compromises in design. They were built on the cheap and they suffered qualitatively for it. FACT.

Your opinion is not FACT, particularily when its disputed by many others including VERY reputable sources. A word of advice, your quickly erroding any patience I and other moderators are demonstrating in allowing you to remain on these boards to spew your bravado and arrogance. I can't say I'm optimistic about your future on these boards.

Consider this a warning, take it as you wish.