You are not logged in.

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 4:46pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
Lucky for the Germans to be Satsuma's favorite Europeans. :D In regard to bolting armor that is the solution for the Arguns; that will be the Argun B modification.

Certainly useful. Though it looks like the Iberians might be some parts of SATSUMA's favorites, considering the Japanese are selling gunless Type 96s to the Iberians. Should be interesting when they're stationed on Hainan/San Hainando.

Either I'm losing whats left of my marbles, or that's something else RAM started......

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 8:35pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson

Quoted

Originally posted by perdedor99
Lucky for the Germans to be Satsuma's favorite Europeans. :D In regard to bolting armor that is the solution for the Arguns; that will be the Argun B modification.

Certainly useful. Though it looks like the Iberians might be some parts of SATSUMA's favorites, considering the Japanese are selling gunless Type 96s to the Iberians. Should be interesting when they're stationed on Hainan/San Hainando.

Either I'm losing whats left of my marbles, or that's something else RAM started......

Can't comment, myself..... :)

Saturday, December 13th 2008, 1:43pm

December 18, 1936 - Berlin

Rheinmettall had delivered the first two prototypes for the Luftwaffe's 20mm cannon project to Luftwaffe headquarters, where the two cannon were being examined. Both weapons were based on the 15mm MG-151 design, with 1 weapon using a blown-out and shortened 82mm length version of the MG-151's cartridge case and the other using a blown-out full-length version of the same 96mm case. The larger case resulted in a longer, heavier weapon, but also a flatter trajectory with projectiles of the same weight as it's sibling weapon. In many other ways, the two weapons were identical: both had the same rate of fire, both were electrically primed, both fired either API or HEIT projectiles. [The first weapon is historical MG-151/20, the second a variant on it.]

Additionally, a mockup of a 30mm cannon and cartridge were also present. The 30mm cartridge dwarfed it's distant cousins, with a 184mm case that was 50% larger in diameter, and an HE projectile that outweighed the smaller rounds by about 3 times, the cartridge was very impressive. The cannon itself was also impressive, being much longer and almost 4 times as heavy as even the larger of the 2 20mm weapons. [This is the historical MK-101. It's really too heavy and slow-firing in it's current form to see much use, but it's the basis for the later MK-103.]

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Dec 17th 2008, 2:32pm)

Sunday, December 28th 2008, 3:11pm

December 20, 1936 - Berlin

The Heer, knowing that medium panzer production capacity is limited, has enquired of the designers of the Panzer II on what enhancements can be made to that vehicle without modification of the chassis, and what modifications of the chassis are easily achievable. The Panzer II is likely to remain in service for years into the future, if hopefully being moved to a recon role, and the chassis may become the basis for other vehicles (a self-propelled 10.5cm howitzer has already been shown on the chassis, though it was rather cramped and was of questionable stability). For example, the Panzer II chassis could be used for sturmgeshutz, instead of the Panzer III chassis, freeing up the Panzer III production lines to produce more Panzer III or IVs (or StuG IIIG's, since the recoil of the 75mm/48 is going to be too much for the slightly modified Pz II chassis, and this way I'd get an assault gun that's pretty comparable to the StuG D/E and a tank destroyer that's vastly superior to the Marder for about the same price).

A possible upgrade for the Panzer IIs recon role, and for the 8-wheeled armored cars, might be the replacement of the current 2cm cannon with the 3cm cannon that Rheinmetall is working on for the Luftwaffe. While it's heavy for aircraft use, and not very fast firing, neither of those are particularly problems for a direct-fire vehicular weapon.

At the same time as the request to Krupp and MAN was sent, a request was sent to Hanomag to simplify the design of the Sdkfz 251, to lower production costs and simplify production. Also, after troop use, a request is made to make the wheels powered.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Dec 31st 2008, 1:24pm)