You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

howard

Unregistered

Monday, September 29th 2008, 6:19pm

New BAM aircraft.

The Cuckoo is now undergoing windtunnel tests. The prototype is under construction and is expected to undergo initial flight testing beginning 4Q1936.

Pending completion of the flight testing of the El Konk Model 300 aero engine-currently undergoing development, the slated engine for prototype flight testing is the DeHavilland Gypsy Six.

Specifications (Gipsy Six I)

Data from: Jane's
General characteristics

* Type: 6-cylinder air-cooled inverted inline piston aircraft engine
* Bore: 4.646" (118 mm)
* Stroke: 5.512" (140 mm)
* Displacement: 4646 in³ (9.186 L)
* Length: 62.1" (1578 mm)
* Width: 19" (485 mm)
* Height: 32.4" (823 mm)
* Dry weight: 468 lb (213 kg)

Components

* Valvetrain: OHV
* Fuel system: Two downdraught Claudel-Hobson A.I.48F carburettors
* Oil system: Dry sump, gear-type pump
* Cooling system: Air-cooled

Performance

* Power output: 200 hp at 2,350 rpm (on 70 octane fuel)
* Compression ratio: 5.25:1
* Fuel consumption: 10 gph (45.4 L/ph) at 2,100 rpm
* Oil consumption: Up to 4 pints (2.4 L) per hour.

Comments?

Monday, September 29th 2008, 6:20pm

**Cannot see flickr-hosted images at work...**

howard

Unregistered

Monday, September 29th 2008, 6:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Based off a heavily-modified DH-88 racer.

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Sep 29th 2008, 6:34pm)

Monday, September 29th 2008, 6:39pm

Quoted

Originally posted by howard

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Based off a heavily-modified DH-88 racer.

H.

**Cannot see photobucket-hosted images at work, either!** :P :P :P

But I know what the DH-88 looks like.

Monday, September 29th 2008, 8:23pm

Agreement with the UK?

howard

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 5:56pm

This is a trunk feeder airliner, based on the failed Czech A-204 that later was morphed RTL as the Sibelius Si-204.

It is severely underpowered.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 6:11pm

Well.....

I assume you are referring to the Siebel Si 204 (engl .) ?!?

I´ve never heard of a Sibelius Si-204.

Please also note that this never was a Czech plane. Based on the successful Siebel Fh 104 she was developed for the Luft Hansa and first build in the city of Halle before production was transferred to SNCAN in France and KD/BMM in Czechoslovakia (then Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren) after 15 prototypes.

I never read she was underpowered for the purpose she was designed for. Could you please state a source?

Thanks and cheers,

HoOmAn

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 6:15pm

The Siebel Si 204 wasn't underpowered, but his version has El Konk engines of 300 hp, vs the Argus As-410 engines of almost 500 hp that the historical plane had. THAT will make it underpowered, badly.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Sep 30th 2008, 6:19pm)

HoOmAn

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 6:22pm

I see.

Thanks for explaining it.

howard

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 6:29pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
Well.....

I assume you are referring to the Siebel Si 204 (engl .) ?!?

I´ve never heard of a Sibelius Si-204.

Please also note that this never was a Czech plane. Based on the successful Siebel Fh 104 she was developed for the Luft Hansa and first build in the city of Halle before production was transferred to SNCAN in France and KD/BMM in Czechoslovakia (then Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren) after 15 prototypes.

I never read she was underpowered for the purpose she was designed for. Could you please state a source?

Thanks and cheers,

HoOmAn

Thinking Opera again. Well anyway, the Aero Company was assigned production design work on the Si-204 iin 1940. They went back to their A-204 as their build pattern and reworked it to make the plane when the Germans demanded it as a night flight trainer. The Fh-104 was a German touring aircraft that bears no resemblance at all to this particular Czech-built aircraft.

The French were also involved in this aircraft which they manufactured for the Germans and themselves as the N-701 SNCAC Martinet. It again, as French reworked, bears no resemblance to the original Si-Fh-104.

The changes were that radical.

H.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "howard" (Sep 30th 2008, 6:34pm)

HoOmAn

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 7:39pm

What are your sources? That story is new to me and when I look at pictures of the french plane in question I think she looks a lot like the Si 204.

And the more sources I look at, the more I am told the Si 204 is a sclaed up Fh 104 ....

More than 20 sources in the web I have browsed now, like this , but failed to find any proof of your claim.

I also know I have nothing in my books at home as I´ve heard this story about the Si 204 being a Czech model for the first time just here.

So I´m really curious..... Looks like there is something new out there....

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 8:25am

Different wingbox and engine mount from the Czech C-3 design, HoOman. Also that is a postwar plane-a SNCAC 701 Martinet I believe?

H.

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 10:14am

The confusion between the pre war Aero 204 and C-3 (Si-204 built by AERO) are quite common possibly because they were both built by AERO after the occupation. If you choose the A.204 then you also can easily explain the introduction of the A.304 later

HoOmAn

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 10:41am

Quoted

Different wingbox and engine mount from the Czech C-3 design, HoOman. Also that is a postwar plane-a SNCAC 701 Martinet I believe?

H.

You still seem to be in error regarding those planes.

This is about the Aero A 204 and it may help with all the confusion which plane is actually meant:

"A 204 usually signifies Aero A 204. This Czechoslovakian airliner was flown in just its trial product form. Its manufacturer was Aero Vodochody. The primary user of the plane was the Czech Airlines. But it was quite shocking as well as not up to scratch that a British product, called the Airspeed Envoy, was chosen over Aero A 204 by the national airlines. As the plane failed to capture any customer, Aero started to develop the military version of A 204 known as A 304.

When Nazi Germany occupied Czechoslovakia, the Siebel Si 204 was manufactured by Aero. The pattern of A.204 and Siebel Si 204 were almost identical. People often get confused about these 2 models. C-3 is the accurate Czech designation for the Siebel product. A 204 discusses that this 2-crewed airliner could hold 8 passengers at a time. 2 Walter Pollux IIR engines of 360 hp or 110 kW were used as power plants. The wing area and empty weight of the plane was 46 meter square or 495 square ft and 4,300 kg or 9,500 lb respectively.

The wingspan of the aircraft was 19.20 m and 63 ft 0 in whereas its length was 13.20 m or 43 ft 4 in.A 204 describes that the Aero A.204 aircraft could attain a maximum speed of 320 km/h or 170 knots or 200 mph. The service ceiling and rate of climb of the plane was 5,800 m or 19,000 ft and 4.2 m/s or 820 ft/min in that order. The Aero A.204 was a large fixed-wing aircraft. The basic function of this plane was the carrying of paying passengers.

This fixed-wing aircraft was a heavier-than-air aircraft. In this case, for the production of lift, the movement of the wings in relation to the aircraft is not used. From small trainers and recreational aircraft to large airliners and military cargo aircraft- all can fall within the fixed-wing aircraft category. The maiden flight of Aero A.204 took place in 1936. But it did not enter into production at all. The Aero A.304 1st flew in 1937."

Your original statement below needs to be corrected.

Quoted

Well anyway, the Aero Company was assigned production design work on the Si-204 iin 1940. They went back to their A-204 as their build pattern and reworked it to make the plane when the Germans demanded it as a night flight trainer.

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 7:15pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
The confusion between the pre war Aero 204 and C-3 (Si-204 built by AERO) are quite common possibly because they were both built by AERO after the occupation. If you choose the A.204 then you also can easily explain the introduction of the A.304 later

The A-304 was a bomber.

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 7:19pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn

Quoted

H.

You still seem to be in error regarding those planes.

This is about the Aero A 204 and it may help with all the confusion which plane is actually meant:

"A 204 usually signifies Aero A 204. This Czechoslovakian airliner was flown in just its trial product form. Its manufacturer was Aero Vodochody. The primary user of the plane was the Czech Airlines. But it was quite shocking as well as not up to scratch that a British product, called the Airspeed Envoy, was chosen over Aero A 204 by the national airlines. As the plane failed to capture any customer, Aero started to develop the military version of A 204 known as A 304.

When Nazi Germany occupied Czechoslovakia, the Siebel Si 204 was manufactured by Aero. The pattern of A.204 and Siebel Si 204 were almost identical. People often get confused about these 2 models. C-3 is the accurate Czech designation for the Siebel product. A 204 discusses that this 2-crewed airliner could hold 8 passengers at a time. 2 Walter Pollux IIR engines of 360 hp or 110 kW were used as power plants. The wing area and empty weight of the plane was 46 meter square or 495 square ft and 4,300 kg or 9,500 lb respectively.

The wingspan of the aircraft was 19.20 m and 63 ft 0 in whereas its length was 13.20 m or 43 ft 4 in.A 204 describes that the Aero A.204 aircraft could attain a maximum speed of 320 km/h or 170 knots or 200 mph. The service ceiling and rate of climb of the plane was 5,800 m or 19,000 ft and 4.2 m/s or 820 ft/min in that order. The Aero A.204 was a large fixed-wing aircraft. The basic function of this plane was the carrying of paying passengers.

This fixed-wing aircraft was a heavier-than-air aircraft. In this case, for the production of lift, the movement of the wings in relation to the aircraft is not used. From small trainers and recreational aircraft to large airliners and military cargo aircraft- all can fall within the fixed-wing aircraft category. The maiden flight of Aero A.204 took place in 1936. But it did not enter into production at all. The Aero A.304 1st flew in 1937."

Your original statement below needs to be corrected.

Quoted

Well anyway, the Aero Company was assigned production design work on the Si-204 iin 1940. They went back to their A-204 as their build pattern and reworked it to make the plane when the Germans demanded it as a night flight trainer.

I suppose I should amend that to read that the Si-204 was the reworked Siebel aircraft that Aero used their A-204 design jigs and blueprints on?

H.

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 7:47pm

Quoted

Quoted

The A-304 was a bomber.

And? It was used as an Liaison/Trainer/Patrol aircraft

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 8:05pm

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted

The A-304 was a bomber.

And? It was used as an Liaison/Trainer/Patrol aircraft

http://www.geocities.com/bulgarian_aviat…lti/Aero304.htm

Bomber.

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 8:33pm

Its a recon according to your link, but not the point are you saying that it can only be used as a bomber?

howard

Unregistered

Sunday, October 5th 2008, 7:32am

Quoted

Its a recon according to your link, but not the point are you saying that it can only be used as a bomber?

I was quite clear in what I wrote? What is your question?