You are not logged in.

Sunday, October 5th 2008, 1:20pm

Its militarized airliner like the b-18, why couldnt BAM in the future reverse the process

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, October 5th 2008, 2:35pm

Howard,

I don´t expect you´ll amend anything. That would be a surprise. But what´s your source on the Siebel 204 and the design work done on her by the Czechs?

Bach home this weekend I just checked Heinz J Novarras "Die deutsche Luftrüstung 1933-1945" volume 4 (see here on ebay) which holds information on the Siebel aircraft company (as a former Klemm spin-off) and aircrafts. There I found nothing about the Czechs being ordered to work on the 204s design. It is this source that also states the French SNCAC build the Si-204A as NC702 while the Si-204D was labelled NC700.

I also browsed about 20 sites in the web to find more information on the issue but despite comments that the A204 and the Si-204 are often mixed and misidentified I found little else.

So if you could lead me to a reliable source that backs up your assertion your help would be much appreciated. Best would be some german primary or secondary source that is easiy to access.

howard

Unregistered

Monday, October 6th 2008, 3:15am

Shrug, I just amended what I said HoOman. Aero used their 204 jigs. Even your own sources say that.

-------------------------------

Vuk. Do you seriously understand what you do to modify an airliner to make it become a bomber?^1

Just redesigning the barrel to incorporate a bombbay changes the airframe and the total mass distribution loading and the WING loading in the aircraft to the point that you do a total redesign.

So from your last posting, I don't think you do understand what is involved.

That is why the Heinkel 111 and the Junkers 86 "airliners" brought derisive laughter from Boeing engineers when they first saw them. They understood that the engineers of Heinkel and Junkers were doing bombers in airliner livery to cheat on Versailles.

H

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Oct 6th 2008, 3:27am)

Monday, October 6th 2008, 3:45am

Yes very well, I also know that the A.304 had no bomb bay and finally I know the difference between a passenger aircraft and a mailplane ;)

BTW I wonder how much the German engineers laughed about the Bolo and Boeing condor....

howard

Unregistered

Monday, October 6th 2008, 3:56am

http://www.hiller.org/condor.shtml

Those who remain aren't doing much laughing at all. They respect the work for what it is-an early testbed that is leading to the B-3 and that resulted in birds like Global Hawk .

Douglas Aircraft made the B-18. Boeing had nothing to do with it.

H.

Monday, October 6th 2008, 4:14am

My mistake I was thinking of the Curtiss Condor, but the the statement was that it was "impossible" to use the same basic airframe for bombers and transports.

howard

Unregistered

Monday, October 6th 2008, 4:40am

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
My mistake I was thinking of the Curtiss Condor, but the the statement was that it was "impossible" to use the same basic airframe for bombers and transports.

It is. The redesign for the Bolo was quite extensive. It is nothing really like the DC-2 at all.

The B-2 was a total joke.

H.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, October 6th 2008, 11:55am

Quoted

Originally posted by howard
Shrug, I just amended what I said HoOman. Aero used their 204 jigs. Even your own sources say that.
H

Well, my book does not speaks of Aero using their A204 jigs, neither do Luftarchive.de nor luftfahrtmuseum.com for example and german wikipedia also says nothing about Aero doing design work on the Si-204 or using their jigs and tools from the A204:
"Wegen der Auslastung der Siebel-Werke durch den Bau der Ju 88 wurden nur die 15 Prototypen in Halle fertiggestellt. Die Produktion des Reiseflugzeuges A-1 und der zugehörigen Vorserie fand bei SNCAN in Frankreich zwischen April 1942 und November 1943 statt. Die Firma KD/BMM im Protektorat begann mit dem Bau der Vorserie D-0 (45 Flugzeuge) im Januar 1943. Die Serie D-1 lief im März 1943 bei Aero an, bei KD vermutlich im Juni 1943. Ab August 1943 lieferte auch SNCAN die ersten Flugzeuge der Serie D-1. Im Oktober 1944 startete Aero die Fertigung der Serie D-3, die sich durch Holztragflächen sowie Leitwerksteilen aus Holz von der D-1 unterschied. In Frankreich lief die Serie D-1 nach 53 gebauten Flugzeugen im August 1944 aufgrund der Kriegsereignisse aus, so dass insgesamt 168 Si 204 bei SNCAN gebaut wurden. BMM baute das Flugzeug bis Oktober 1944, um dann auf Ersatzteilfertigung umzuschalten. Geplant war, dass die D-1 bei Aero im März 1945 nach 486 gebauten Flugzeugen auslaufen sollte, während gleichzeitig die D-3 mit 30 Flugzeugen pro Monat weiterlaufen sollte. Die Produktion bei Aero endete aber vermutlich schon nach 541 gebauten Flugzeugen im Januar 1945. Damit sind 1.216 Si 204 inklusive der Prototypen produziert worden.

Nach Kriegsende lief in der Tschechoslowakei die Produktion bei Aero nochmals an und wurde bis 1949 fortgesetzt. Von den beiden Trainerversionen Aero C-3A und C-3B, der Passagierausführung C-103 sowie dem militärischen Transporter D-44 entstanden insgesamt 179 Maschinen."

About the Aero A 204 english wikipedia says:
"The Aero A.204 was a Czechoslovakian airliner that flew in prototype form in 1936. It was developed specifically for SA, but much to Aero's surprise and disappointment, the national airline selected a British product instead, the Airspeed Envoy. Unable to find a customer, Aero began to develop a military version instead, as the A.304.

Whilst Czechoslovakia was under occupation by Nazi Germany, Aero manufactured the Siebel Si 204 under licence. Similar in configuration to the A.204, these two aircraft are occasionally confused, but the correct Czech designation for the Siebel product is C-3."

I found no evidence whatsoever that there is any link between the Aero A204 and the Siebel Si204 and you failed to provide anything reliable. So I go with what I have at hand - two different planes, both of which were build by Aero but without noticable know-how transfer.

howard

Unregistered

Monday, October 6th 2008, 8:31pm

Shrug. Suit yourself. You were wrong about the gun, I could be wrong on the A-204.

Not a big deal to me.

H

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, October 9th 2008, 9:05am

The aircraft is undergoing flight testing.