You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, September 12th 2008, 9:13pm

ShinRa Munitions small arms catalog

MR-2890 "Restrictor" Rifle firing a .303 British round (10 round clip)
MC-2900 Carbine firing .276 Pedersen round (15 round clip)
SR-1700 "Sniper CR" Sniper rifle firing a .50 BMG round (Bolt-Action)
SMG-4401 "Zolom" Submachine Gun firing a .45 ACP round (30 round magazine, 50-100 round drum)
HP-65 "Scarlet" Backup weapon firing a .45 ACP round (2 shot capacity)
CST-770 "Supershot ST" Combat Shotgun (6 round, pump action)
GSA-45 "Quicksilver" semi-automatic pistol firing a .45 ACP round (8 round clip)

Friday, September 12th 2008, 9:16pm

Argh! Cannot see pictures when I'm at work!!

Saturday, September 13th 2008, 2:52am

Okay, now that I can see the pictures, I can offer critique.

First of all, the positives. The carbine looks good - period, probably would have decent specs, and looks useful.

The shotgun - glad to see someone else paying attention to these. Always under-appreciated for military use.

The pistol looks like a 1911clone with bells and whistles tacked on. Personally, I'd stick with the 5" barrel rather than the 6" barrel shown: there's no need for a match pistol as a sidearm.

---------------------------

Okay, so I have some bones with this, too.

The SBR looks generally acceptable, though I have to question the gas return arrangment - it's straight off an M14. 1957. Secondly, the magazine... is backward. .303 British rounds are slightly tapered due to being a rimmed round: hence the curved magazines of the Bren gun. The Enfield MkIII has the "low end" of the magazine facing forward for this exact reason. In order to push the rounds up, the spring is generally made level with the bottom of the magazine and in line with the natural curve of how the rounds fit together. The magazine, left in this state, will cause the rifle to jam every single time it's fired. I'm 100% certain of that. The SBR's also missing the rear sights.

The sniper rifle is about fifty years too modern. The thumbhole fully-adjustable synthetic stock matched with a .50cal round is at least a 1980s invention. The rifle shown is basically the art of an Accuracy International AWM, chambered in .338 Lapua... a Very Nice rifle. Introduced in 1997. Oh yes. The magazine is backwards.

The SMG uses the AK47 gas system, I see. Not bad. However, the sliding stock is similarly very early, and its positioning appears to cover where both the bolt cocking handle and the ejection port ought to be. I THINK I see the cocking handle there, but it's awkwardly placed, IMHO. The sights are... terrible, as the front post is particularly low in comparison to the rear post, which is elevated even over the AK47's style. Your enemies will end up with exceptionally well-aerated hats. :P Also... the magazine is backwards. And it's also excessively long for a .45ACP round.

The holdout pistol is... extremely big and long-barreled for only holding two rounds. A holdout pistol is usually intended to be fired when it's physically shoved into your opponent's epiglottis: this derringer looks like a sniper variant.

The shotgun barrel looks abnormally thin. A good 12-gauge would be about twice that size. I'd also be preferring a shoulder-stock.

What's with the funky horns on the bottom of the pistol? That'd cause hangups when holstering or drawing it.

Oddly, the carbine is the only one with a correct magazine. :D I'd DEFINITELY pursue this design more closely.

By the way - what's all that stuff hanging off the front of some of those guns? Looks like some kind of gas mask or something.

Saturday, September 13th 2008, 3:26am

I know even less about firearms than I do about aeronautic engineering. For the technical problems, blame Japan, that's all concept art from the weapons in FF7: Dirge of Cerberus (Except the shotgun, that's from the original game). For the ones with magazines facing the wrong way, I can fix that, but pretty much everything else is greek to me. Might've scaled the hold-out weapon wrong, but I couldn't think of any other purpose for it due to the lack of any visable ammo capacity...

I did think the Sniper's look was a bit too modern (I could kitbash to remove the modern-y stock), but the general concept of using a .50 BMG round for a sniper/anti-material weapon doesn't seem like a technical problem, just an inspirational one.

As for the junk on the end of the DG weapons...no clue. Something devious, I'm sure. I've got other, stranger stuff in the concept art, too. :P

Saturday, September 13th 2008, 5:15am

Well, in that case I'll take the short specs at face value. Do you have any more details?

Saturday, September 13th 2008, 6:51am

Not really, just a lot of concept art. Hit me on AIM if you're interested (Enterprise)

Saturday, September 13th 2008, 2:09pm

The thing to keep in mind about the telescopic sights of the period is that they are expensive and FRAGILE by comparison to modern scopes, the recoil of a .50 BMG rifle would almost certainly break the reticle of a 1930s period telescopic sight within a few shots. And a scope with a broken reticle is a miss waiting to happen.