You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 9:31pm

Talons Over Cordoba 1936

[I feel by now that most players have assumed that the SA war would be over by Q4 1936. There will be no cliffhangar spoliers here suffice to say that when this event takes place the fighting will be over. As a player in the interests of keeping up with other players and meeting inpatient demands for aerobatic fun I have decided to stick with my decision not to wait another year.]

Today the Ministry of Transport and the Fuerza Aerea Argentina annouced that the 1936 Talons Over Cordoba Fighter Meet will take place between Nov 1st-10th 1936 at Cordoba Airbase.
Damage caused by the recent war shall be fully repaired to the aerodrome by this time and in the interests of peace and goodwill to all nations the event is open to all nations.

Argentina shall be represented by;

No1. Lieutenant de Aero Roja [Holder of the Argentine Nation to the Valour in Combat Medal (Medalla La Nacion Argentina al Valor en Combate) and the Order of the Liberator General San Martin (Orden del Libertador General San Martin) Comendador Grade] flying his silver FMA I-01 Buchon fighter

No2. Flight Capitan S. Castro [holder of Argentine to the Wounded in Combat Medal (Medalla La Nacion Argentina al Herido en Combate)] flying his personal all-black FMA (Tucan) I-100C fighter

RULES OF ENTRY AND COMPETITION
Amended for this year's event after protests at the last event.

1. Any nation can enter a maximum of two fighters, that is to say the primary role of the aircraft must be to intercept and destroy enemy aircraft; they can different types or the same and may be twin-engined types
2. Carrier based fighters are also welcome
3. Entries must be production machines, that is to say they must be in regular service or approaching the end of testing and entering service within six months. This does not cover any modifications to service machines
4. Engine tuning is allowed and superchargers may be fitted to improve performance. Fuel additives are prohibited. Special racing spec engines are prohibited. Each team can bring two engines for each aircraft entered but both must be the same model and set up identically and one engine must be a spare only, to be fitted after qualifications. It cannot be fitted once the main events begin
5. No armament to be fitted, ballast to weight of guns must be added
6. All aircraft must be fitted with at least a radio receiver for safety reasons
7. Pilots must have over three years of flying experience on single-engined types, offical state or company test pilots are allowed to compete but other civilian pilots are not. Rank of the pilot is not an issue.
8. All monoplanes and biplanes will compete in separate race events, all duels will also be separate but an extra Grand Final Duel will feature both types of fighter. Bombing and altitude and cross country races will be of mixed groups. Pilots will score points and these will be tallied to declare a winner.

ENTRY
For my ease of calculations and information please supply names and rank of pilots, full technical data especially speed, rate of climb and weight figures. Numbers assigned will be in order of application from No.3 onwards. If you wish you can apply by PM.

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:14pm

[SIZE=3]SWEET!![/SIZE]

Ireland, Bulgaria, and Chile will ALL send planes and pilots.

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:20pm

A clarification on point 7, 3 years on any kind of single seater or 3 years on the type participating in the meet?

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:24pm

The Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Kingdom of the Kongo will not be attending.

The Kingdom of Belgium will attend. I will PM you later with the details.

The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg lacks an airforce, and so will not be attending.

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:58pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
A clarification on point 7, 3 years on any kind of single seater or 3 years on the type participating in the meet?

It has to be the former, as point 3 allows for new aircraft just coming into service

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 11:43pm

I should have read more carefully

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 1:48am

Whoohoo!!! *enters ten different aircraft for each country...*

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 2:04am

Excellent!

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 2:11am

Any chance we could move Talons to the news section? I honestly don't check Aircraft design too much, and this seems to be news, more than design.

Also;

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
4. Engine tuning is allowed and superchargers may be fitted to improve performance. Fuel additives are prohibited. Special racing spec engines are prohibited. Each team can bring two engines for each aircraft entered but both must be the same model and set up identically and one engine must be a spare only, to be fitted after qualifications. It cannot be fitted once the main events begin

I'm interpreting 'two engines per aircraft' to mean '1 spare per engine on aircraft', as I don't see why twin-enginge aircraft wouldn't be allowed to bring spares...

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ShinRa_Inc" (Sep 4th 2008, 2:30am)

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 6:16pm

Chile will send Capitan Jaime Uloa and Teniente Martin O'Higgins de Santiago, flying Atlantean-manufactured Accrisius F-12 Aves.
Aircraft Specifications:
- Speed: 329 mph at 15,000 ft
- Rate of Climb: 1,617 fpm
- Weight (maximum): 7,500 lbs
- Weight (empty): 6,211 lbs

Bulgaria will send Kapitan Stoyan Zvedev and Podporucik (Lt.) Lidiya Ivanova, the former in a Bulgarian-made Avia B-135, the latter in a British-made Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I.
Aircraft Specifications: - Avia B-135
- Speed: 332 mph at 15,000 ft
- Rate of Climb: 2,660 fpm
- Weight (empty): 4,548 lbs

Aircraft Specifications: - Supermarine Spitfire
- Speed: 367 mph (582 km/h) at 18,600 ft
- Rate of Climb:2,175 fpm
- Weight (empty): 4,306 lbs

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 6:59pm

Iberia will send a contingent, details to follow.

Denmark, however, won't; as I can't get my head around planebuider!

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 7:22pm

Demark can always "borrow" designs so you can use the given data rather than messing around with planebuilder. :D

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 9:11pm

Got ten firm entries already!

If we get odd numbers I'll augument with NPC pilots and planes, I'm sure the Czechs and Swiss will attend to make up numbers as usual.

If you guys wish I'll post the report in the News section but I guess these entries should be made here as we are discussing flying matters.

As for rules;

A pilot must have been flying for three years in order to compete, most good fighter pilots will have this anyway.

As for engines I suppose a twin-engined aircraft could bring two spares but the chances of wrecking both engines in qualifers seems remote or unlucky!

The Royal Air Force will enter;

Group Captain Lionel Mandrake flying a production Supermarine Spitfire Mk I
Flying Officer Basil Heath flying the prototype Melrin powered Hawker Hurricane Mk II

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 9:50pm

Nordmark, Coldmere and Yugoslavia will send planes and pilots, will provide details tomorrow as I have to create some pilots for Coldmere first!

Update on the Coldmere coronation storyline, 3days down, 4 to go.

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 10:02pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
As for engines I suppose a twin-engined aircraft could bring two spares but the chances of wrecking both engines in qualifers seems remote or unlucky!

I just wanted clarification that any spares were allowed; the rules as written says two engines, period, which means no spares for a twin-engine aircraft. Canada will bring whichever number of spares is allowed for it's twin-engine entry.

Saturday, September 6th 2008, 1:07am

Germany will be sending aircraft, most likely 1 Bf-109B and 1 Fw-187A (the only likely reasonable choices, as the Fw-190 and He-100 probably won't be within 6 months of service then).

Saturday, September 6th 2008, 1:33am

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
Demark can always "borrow" designs so you can use the given data rather than messing around with planebuilder. :D

If that's acceptable to the organisers of the competition, then maybe Denmark can go to the ball!!

Saturday, September 6th 2008, 2:23am

From Australia:

Luitenant Wilfred Stanley "Woof" Arthur, flying an Australian Aviation AA-5 Centaur:

Power: Rolls-Royce 870hp Peregrine

Armament: Four 7.62/0.3in machine guns

Size: Wingspan - 29ft
Length - 25ft
Wing area - 170sq ft

Weight: Empty - 3200lb
Max take-off - 3900lb

Performance: Max speed - 330mph
Ceiling - 33,000ft
Range - 500 miles
Climb - 3300ft per minute

Also from Australia:

Captain Robert Henry Maxwell (Bobby) Gibbes flying a Fokker-Avia D.XXd

Max weight : 4,400 lbs
Normal operating weight : 4,255 lbs
Armament : 20mm Cannon, 4 x 7.92mm MGs, radio.
Rate of climb : estimated 2,783 fpm (12Y-49 rate : 3,244 fpm)
Maximum speed : estimated 340 mph at 12,000 feet (12Y-49 : 358 mph)
Maximum altitude : 40,000 feet
Wingloading : 22 lbs / sq. ft

There will be a further two entries from Mexico but I still have to figure out who will attend.

Saturday, September 6th 2008, 2:36am

Persia will send two Gothia Works GW-107 piloted by Major Reza Rustam and Lieutenant Fereydoon Zandi

MODEL Gothia Works Type 107
ENGINE GWM V-1300 1300Hp
WEIGHTS
Take-off weight 2900 kg
Empty weight 2000 kg
DIMENSIONS
Wingspan 9.70 m
Length 7.90 m
Height 2.70 m

PERFORMANCE
Max. speed 630 km/h
Range 750 km
Rate of Climb 15 m/s

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Vukovlad" (Sep 6th 2008, 3:04am)

Saturday, September 6th 2008, 2:37am

It's hard to choose when you have so many possible planes, and only two slots...

From Mexico:

Capitan Valenzuela returns seeking the Gold... He flies a TNCA C-10+ Aguila II, prototype high performance fighter.

Power: Supercharged Curtiss-Mexico Emperor V-1720 1,200hp

Armament: Two 0.5in machine guns (all in nose)

Size: Wingspan - 30ft
Length - 25ft
Wing area - 200sq ft

Weight: Empty - 3200lb
Max take-off - 4200lb

Performance: Max speed - 370mph
Ceiling - 31,500ft
Range - 400 miles
Climb - 3,000ft per minute

Also from Mexico:

Teniente Cielocaminante returs, this time flying a Focke Wulf FW-187M+ (FW-187M fitted with the new Curtiss engines)

The Mexican version of the FW-187 'Falke'. Equipped with 2 25mm cannon and 4 .30 caliber MGs in the nose.

Characteristics:

Weight (maximum) 12,000 lbs
Weight (empty) 8,900 lbs

Length 36.5 ft
Wingspan 50 ft
Wing Area 327 sq ft
Sweep 3 degrees

Engines 2
Curtiss Emperor V-1720
Piston

1,100 hp at 12,000 ft

Crew 1