You are not logged in.

howard

Unregistered

Monday, September 8th 2008, 12:55am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Quoted

Originally posted by howard
So I know I can have Avrit Singhram do it in the WW Thailand sim.

Well, I've already nabbed most of Avro Canada's historical design staff, so I guess I can start up some Avro Arrows in a year or two...

You don't have the tech or science base for it. No-one does Supersonic jet engines, especially Mach 2.4 capable jet engines, require metallurgies and understandings of gas fluid dynamics you won't get for ten years.

On the other hand, the HALE rocket is Civil War steam engine technology. The bazooka fundamentally is scarcely more advanced.

Four orders of magnitude technical difference between a bazooka and a AVRO Arrow.

FOUR orders of magnitude.

That blows a gaping hole right in your argument, ShinRa.

Science. You wanted it used; so I wouldn't go off on flights of fancy. Well I'm using it now, not in hindsight but as it applies to the WW 1937 present.

With respects;

H.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, September 8th 2008, 1:22am

Item 1.

Quoted

Recall that Robert Goddard circa 1918 started experimenting with this when he first started working on an RPG for Pershing's Army as a trench and machine gun nest clearing weapon.

Interesting, but fairly irrelevant.

As are the references to other rockets and rocketeers and if it can or can not be done. Great, Goddard demonstrated it on a practice range. Proof of concept, not proof of a practical weapon the Army was on the verge of adopting when the war ended.

The question is when was it in-service.
Not dreamed up, or prototyped, but developed and accepted for use. When and What army adopted an RPG/Rocket launcher/ type device as standard issue?

It is not absolute, there is room for everyone to discuss things. I imagine if the USMC had asked for funding in the mid30s and was denied, that would be a good basis. Did an invasion/fire/flood/death/fiscal emergency cut short the design evolution to allow a substantive argument that it would have been finalized and adopted in this time frame?

Item 2
My reference to the possibility of a shaped charge was simply because your story had folks saying something like 'this will take out any tank'.
That could be over-enthusiasm or an indication that the HE round was HEAT or HESH. Apparently HE.

Item 3

Quoted

The BAM RPG-1 has been fired successfully in action and is established.

Which is the problem with introducing such things in such a manner.

However, it is only established to you. SIAM is yours, you can choose that route. There are other pieces of military equipment out there which folks have pushed through despite disagreement and may/may not be accepted outside their nation(1).

Item 4.
I am still wondering why you appear to have chosen to go for the stats of the 1945 M9A1 bazooka, albeit with a substantially larger warhead and no apparent degradation in performance, than the 1942 M1A1. Even if folks were to accept that there was a good basis to accelerate the introduction of a bazooka like weapon, why accept the 2nd Generation, 10 years in the future as a reasonable basis for introduction.

(1) off topic: but a potential problem in the world war concept talked about elsewhere

howard

Unregistered

Monday, September 8th 2008, 1:57am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
Item 1.

Quoted

Recall that Robert Goddard circa 1918 started experimenting with this when he first started working on an RPG for Pershing's Army as a trench and machine gun nest clearing weapon.

Interesting, but fairly irrelevant.

Quite relevant. Like many 1919 weapons it was in the trials stage when the war ended. No war no procurement.

Quoted

As are the references to other rockets and rocketeers and if it can or can not be done. Great, Goddard demonstrated it on a practice range. Proof of concept, not proof of a practical weapon the Army was on the verge of adopting when the war ended.

Look again. The Goddard rocket launcher is remarkably similar to the 1864 rocket battery successfully used in the siege of Charleston, S.,C.

Quoted

The question is when was it in-service.
Not dreamed up, or prototyped, but developed and accepted for use. When and What army adopted an RPG/Rocket launcher/ type device as standard issue?

US Army 1846, 1863, 1941. Would have in 1919, but Congress kiboshed it.

Quoted

It is not absolute, there is room for everyone to discuss things. I imagine if the USMC had asked for funding in the mid30s and was denied, that would be a good basis. Did an invasion/fire/flood/death/fiscal emergency cut short the design evolution to allow a substantive argument that it would have been finalized and adopted in this time frame?

Reframe the question? I was challenged as to whether I knew what the hell I was talking about. I answered that question with both observation and evidence.

Quoted

Item 2
My reference to the possibility of a shaped charge was simply because your story had folks saying something like 'this will take out any tank'.

That was in PMs, suggested by others in this thread, and never made it into the Thailand SIM. In fact my authoritative public statement in this thread and there is blast fragmentation as the description of the weapon grenade, itself:

Quoted

That could be over-enthusiasm or an indication that the HE round was HEAT or HESH. Apparently HE.

Not by me it wasn't. I vetted it beforehand with your best technical expert.

Quoted

Item 3

Quoted

The BAM RPG-1 has been fired successfully in action and is established.

Which is the problem with introducing such things in such a manner.

I posted it beforehand and waited and waited and saw no really serious objections.

Quoted

However, it is only established to you. SIAM is yours, you can choose that route. There are other pieces of military equipment out there which folks have pushed through despite disagreement and may/may not be accepted outside their nation(1).

Rubber gas. That still irritates me, but its here. This RPG is actually well within plausibility and easily duplicated if you know how. Avrit, er I know how.

Quoted

Item 4.
I am still wondering why you appear to have chosen to go for the stats of the 1945 M9A1 bazooka, albeit with a substantially larger warhead and no apparent degradation in performance, than the 1942 M1A1. Even if folks were to accept that there was a good basis to accelerate the introduction of a bazooka like weapon, why accept the 2nd Generation, 10 years in the future as a reasonable basis for introduction.

Because the Lyle rocket gun happens to fit the profile nicely and a Czech can mine is the right dimension for the RPG warhead?^2

Quoted

(1) off topic: but a potential problem in the world war concept talked about elsewhere

^2 Whatever you use for the 1937 BAM RPG-1 would come out of an existing available tech tree composite. I also know what I want that warhead to do when it arrives. I want it to blast frag an area at least 20 meters in radius. and move a 200 kilogram log out of place by impact and blast frag, You need a rocket the size I specified to accomplish this.

Also you will see that its specifications are not the 1945 bazooka specs at all. MER and flight performance is inferior to the original bazooka.

H.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "howard" (Sep 8th 2008, 2:02am)

Monday, September 8th 2008, 3:15am

My primary issue with it is not so much the technology as that I doubt it will be accurate enough for what is claimed to be it's purpose: dealing with strongpoints. In the jungles, it's probably not going to be able to use even the majority of it's effective range, and given the accuracy problems faced by other rocket weapons of the period it's not likely to be able to hit small point targets with any consistency. It's unclear what percentage of the warhead weight is explosive and what is metal, but assuming a .67 kg explosive fill, a HEAT round (once developed) will make it an effective weapon against bunkers and other strongpoints, but until then it will be more of a curiosity than an effective weapon. For now, as Marek suggested, flamethrowers are a better choice for dealing with bunkers (especially in the jungle, where their operators stand a better chance of getting within flame range),

Monday, September 8th 2008, 3:23am

The Goddard rockets were liquid fueled, solid fueled rockets like this one have been around for a long time. A rocket launcher is not particularly difficult to make, since it's simply a long metal tube with an igniter on one end. The only other requirement is a rocket with a suitably short burn time. If you have both, you can make a rocket launcher.

As for why it was not done. It simply was not needed. Rockets are temperamental beasts and not exacly accurate. There's alot of other more accurate ways of delivering high explosives where you want them. Rocket launchers didn't come into use untill there was a need for man portable anti tank weapon. And guerilla forces needed some quick and portable firepower.

That said, I understand why Siam would want such a weapon, but it would have drawbacks, it would NOT be accurate for one. Personally, I would go for rifle grenades.

Monday, September 8th 2008, 3:38am

Quoted

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Quoted

So I know I can have Avrit Singhram do it in the WW Thailand sim.

Well, I've already nabbed most of Avro Canada's historical design staff, so I guess I can start up some Avro Arrows in a year or two...

You don't have the tech or science base for it.

Sure I do, I've got the in-sim people I've said have the know-how to do it (Bonus, mine actually did it historically), and 70 years worth of historical research to apply backwards through the folds of space-time.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, September 8th 2008, 3:56am

Quoted

Quite relevant. Like many 1919 weapons it was in the trials stage when the war ended. No war no procurement.

No, not very relevant because we don't generally use prototypes as the basis for weapons introduction. The description available in Wiki does not sound like a developed system.

Quoted

Look again. The Goddard rocket launcher is remarkably similar to the 1864 rocket battery successfully used in the siege of Charleston, S.,C.

A battery is different than an RPG.
Now, a shoulder fired man portable rocket launcher in use in the US civil war? Never read about it.

Quoted

The 1846 and 1863 are irrelevant if we're not talking man portable rocket launchers.
1941 is interesting, Wiki says the M1A1 was first issued June 14, 1942 by Capt. L.A. Skinner. Its a difference of 5 years or 6 years in the future.

Would have been 1919 except for congress- now that would be reasonable fodder to claim the weapon. Are we certain that the weapon demonstrated in November 1918 was only a year from being deployable? Did the US army make a specific funding request that was denied? Did it later revisit the concept and try to add a rocket launcher but not have the budget?

Quoted

Reframe the question? I was challenged as to whether I knew what the hell I was talking about. I answered that question with both observation and evidence.

My question, in the very first post,

Quoted

I am curious as to the in-service historic precedent for this RPG existing in the 1930s.

Which you still have not provided.

Quoted

Rubber gas. That still irritates me, but its here.

Yep. I'm not keen on either. I developed a Napalm-type as a response, and later regretted it, just leads to nonsense escalation.

Quoted

Because the Lyle rocket gun happens to fit the profile nicely and a Czech can mine is the right dimension for the RPG warhead?^2

Not familiar with either. Searching for lyle rocket gun turns up USCG Lyle guns, which appear to been conventional guns with specialty shells. Don't feel like searching through a book for the Can mine, as I don't see the obvious link between a mine and a projectile.

Quoted

Also you will see that its specifications are not the 1945 bazooka specs at all. MER and flight performance is inferior to the original bazooka.

Well, using Wiki again,

Quoted

M9A1

* Length: 61 in (1,550 mm)
* Caliber: 60 mm (2.36 in)
* Weight: 15.95 lb
* Warhead: M6A3/C shaped charge (3.5 lb)
* Range
o Maximum: 400–500 yards (365.76– 457.2 m)
o Effective: 120 yards (109.728 m)
* Crew: 2, operator and loader(M9) or 1, operator+loader(M9A1)

Length- shorter by 1 inch
Caliber : greater by 1 inch
weight : same to the hundredth of the pound.
Warhead : Different, as expected
Range : Same
Effective : Same

It's that exact same weight, range and effective range that had me thinking there was some similarity in stats to the 1945 Bazooka. Though I would expect your weight to be higher and/or range shorter due to the higher caliber.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Sep 8th 2008, 3:57am)

howard

Unregistered

Monday, September 8th 2008, 4:59am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
My primary issue with it is not so much the technology as that I doubt it will be accurate enough for what is claimed to be it's purpose: dealing with strongpoints. In the jungles, it's probably not going to be able to use even the majority of it's effective range, and given the accuracy problems faced by other rocket weapons of the period it's not likely to be able to hit small point targets with any consistency. It's unclear what percentage of the warhead weight is explosive and what is metal, but assuming a .67 kg explosive fill, a HEAT round (once developed) will make it an effective weapon against bunkers and other strongpoints, but until then it will be more of a curiosity than an effective weapon. For now, as Marek suggested, flamethrowers are a better choice for dealing with bunkers (especially in the jungle, where their operators stand a better chance of getting within flame range),

Short response-generally whatever national version, a man carried flamethrower range to engage an embrasure is 30 feet [9 meters] or less. You have to get the jet inside the dugout to be certain. Are you sure about that flame thrower? I am sure. It isn't that good a weapon. Grenades were more effective.

howard

Unregistered

Monday, September 8th 2008, 5:41am

Quoted

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

Quoted

No, not very relevant because we don't generally use prototypes as the basis for weapons introduction. The description available in Wiki does not sound like a developed system.

I prefer NASA. They describe it as a weapon-proof.. That we can use.

Quoted

Quoted

A battery is different than an RPG.
Now, a shoulder fired man portable rocket launcher in use in the US civil war? Never read about it.

You misunderstand the true nature of the US Civil War rocket.

Quoted

Quoted

The 1846 and 1863 are irrelevant if we're not talking man portable rocket launchers.
1941 is interesting, Wiki says the M1A1 was first issued June 14, 1942 by Capt. L.A. Skinner. Its a difference of 5 years or 6 years in the future.

As you can see, ALL of those rocket launchers were man-portable and AIMED.

Quoted

Would have been 1919 except for congress- now that would be reasonable fodder to claim the weapon. Are we certain that the weapon demonstrated in November 1918 was only a year from being deployable? Did the US army make a specific funding request that was denied? Did it later revisit the concept and try to add a rocket launcher but not have the budget?

Case stated as described.

Quoted

Quoted

My question, in the very first post,

Quoted

I am curious as to the in-service historic precedent for this RPG existing in the 1930s.

Asked and answered. CREF above.

Quoted

Which you still have not provided.

Was provided repeatedly.

Quoted

Quoted

Rubber gas. That still irritates me, but its here.

Yep. I'm not keen on either. I developed a Napalm-type as a response, and later regretted it, just leads to nonsense escalation.

I actually agree with this. Napalm was a WW II development that was less effective than is generally claimed. The RPG at least is not only 1937 plausible, it makes a lot of military sense. I mean, reflect on the resistance to the Gatling gun which was fielded but never used in the numbers it should have been; until Maxim finally eked it out in 1890? That is the reason you don't see a WW I bazooka.

Quoted

Quoted

Not familiar with either. Searching for lyle rocket gun turns up USCG Lyle guns, which appear to been conventional guns with specialty shells. Don't feel like searching through a book for the Can mine, as I don't see the obvious link between a mine and a projectile.

Size and design for the warhead can. The Gyro-jet rocket gun is a more familiar more modern smaller version of the Lyle rocket gun.

Quoted

Quoted

Well, using Wiki again,

Quoted

M9A1

* Length: 61 in (1,550 mm)
* Caliber: 60 mm (2.36 in)
* Weight: 15.95 lb
* Warhead: M6A3/C shaped charge (3.5 lb)
* Range
o Maximum: 400–500 yards (365.76– 457.2 m)
o Effective: 120 yards (109.728 m)
* Crew: 2, operator and loader(M9) or 1, operator+loader(M9A1)

Length- shorter by 1 inch
Caliber : greater by 1 inch
weight : same to the hundredth of the pound.
Warhead : Different, as expected
Range : Same
Effective : Same

It's that exact same weight, range and effective range that had me thinking there was some similarity in stats to the 1945 Bazooka. Though I would expect your weight to be higher and/or range shorter due to the higher caliber.

Well here I cheated a little. I needed the Human factors engineering limits for my rocket launcher as to size and weight. Since that is about 20 kilograms all up and not more than two meters in length for the launch tube?

Every type of possible rubberized solid rocket fuel I used, yielded a ridiculous long range because of the sustained burn time. I chopped those numbers severely and passed them around via PM for peer review comment. Still wasn't enough for WW acceptance, so after discussion, I chopped the burn time to about 3/5 second. Those are the numbers you finally get-surprise? Not really. Its expected. The Panzerschreck and the Bazooka are too similar to each other in flight performance to be an accident.

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Sep 8th 2008, 5:55am)