You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 12:12am

Building shore batteries

Someone remind me the accepted method of determining the tonnage cost for new-build shore batteries, and otherwise building stand-alone gun turrets... >< Searching didn't turn up anything useful.

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 12:27am

Sim as ship with no guns or gun armour, check the weight.

Add the size of gun you want and any armour, check the weight.

Subtract one from the other = weight of guns and armour if any.

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 12:34am

As I recall, shore batteries were the weight of the gun/mount combination only, and not the concrete to make, say, a bunker around it. At least, that's what I've heard.

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 12:59am

Dunno what you meant by subtract, CG, as subtracting light displacement gave me what seemed to be a really low number.

However, loading an empty ship with the guns you're checking, and checking the report for Armament/Armour weight seems more logical;

Quoted

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament:
Armour:

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 1:03am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
Dunno what you meant by subtract, CG, as subtracting light displacement gave me what seemed to be a really low number.

However, loading an empty ship with the guns you're checking, and checking the report for Armament/Armour weight seems more logical;

Quoted

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament:
Armour:

Yeah , that works too!!

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 1:24pm

You don't really need to simulate the costs in tonnage, but the best way to do it would be to look at the turret weights given on NavWeaps.

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 4:37pm

Either or works. Its not like they are going anywhere.

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 6:37pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
You don't really need to simulate the costs in tonnage, but the best way to do it would be to look at the turret weights given on NavWeaps.

I'm looking into a gun/turret combo that's not a historical production. The weights seem to compare well with others in the same range, tho.

I thought since most coast defense guns are using old guns (which do cost tonnage, or could be used on new ships, etc), that new emplacements would also cost tonnage.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ShinRa_Inc" (Aug 19th 2008, 6:39pm)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 6:40pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Pretty much what the Dutch have been doing for the last 8 years... I think. Made a spreadsheet I'm working through, but I think thats how I got the wieghts. Generally presuming concrete emplacements.