You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

howard

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 29th 2008, 4:03pm

HEBCO News 2Q36

HEBCO News release #6

HEBCO Dublin: Financing and investment talks continue between the Irish Free State and HEBCO. The construction of shore facilities for HEBCO GALWAY began 7 June with the Minister for Industrial Development turning the first spadeful of dirt for the Manannan Mac Lir Assembly Building. we look forward to the speedy completion of this facility as it will be the first in what we hope is a series of innovative facilities to improve the infrastructure of our new host country.

HEBCO News release #7

HEBCO Galway: design detail work is completed for the first of the Cochrane Class Ocean Survey and Exploration vessels contracted by Royal Dutch Shell. Continuing experimentation with the Salamander miniature submersible continues. HEBCO hopes to have the tether cable problem resolved soon so that the ocean bottom explorer can be man-rated as safe. Simon Lake our chief engineer, predicts that once resolved the HEBCO Salamander will revolutionize underwater resource exploitation.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Jul 29th 2008, 4:05pm)

howard

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 30th 2008, 5:29am

Somewhere in Galway:

Charles Howard bites his cigar in two as he reads the latest nonsense coming out of the LoN.

"Those amateur diplomats are going to kill any chance HEBCO has to build a peaceful ocean resource exploitation technology tree; if they keep putting these exclusion zones and no permanent shelters proposals into their !@#$%^ agreements. You know the deep end of the Caspian is lousy with oil?"

Simon Lake reads the same HEBCO reports that Howard reads: "Can't be helped." he says: "Those people want to fight more than they want to get rich. In the meantime, I think we've solved the Salamander cable problem. The mini-sub should be ready for Irish trials soon. We should try it out on one of the Cochranes when we build it for RDS."

Charles Howard grimaces: "You know as well as I do, that as long as we are limited in resources, we are just treading water here, Simon. We probably have the most advanced marine salvage and oil exploration gear in the world in development and all they want to do out there, outside of Ireland, is play war."

Lake shrugs: "We can only offer to sell what the customer wants. RDS at least has us building. You're too idealistic, Charles. Even those nations like Ireland, who are defense-minded know, that they will have to fight in a claw and tooth world. Otherwise why did we build Annex B and the test range here at their insistance?"

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Jul 30th 2008, 11:18am)

howard

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 30th 2008, 8:56pm

HEBCO Galway: two technicians loading up gear;

First: "Why the !@#$ are we going to Australia?"
Second: "I dunno. Maybe the head office finally landed a customer?"
First: "Don't you believe it. After the fiascoes in Belgium and Siam, this is going to be another wasted trip!"
Supervisor; "Shut up you two! Get that bell packed for shipping."
Second: "Well happy Tuesday to you too, you jerk. You don't sign my paycheck."
First: "Actually he does. Right now we operate on Irish funding, so let's not knobble his rocks."

The two technicians tie off the crane hoist to the Howard/Lake rescue chamber and watch it crane aboard the bell upon the deck of the leased Irish freighter.

Stay tuned.

H.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "howard" (Jul 30th 2008, 9:09pm)

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 1:01am

Lol, reminds me of our old Polish players "two old men" on the docks bantering.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 2:26am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Lol, reminds me of our old Polish players "two old men" on the docks bantering.

I liked those two, didn't realize they moved to Ireland.

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 2:49am

So is the shallow end...

Quoted

You know the deep end of the Caspian is lousy with oil

Some complications there though. Light, but very sour.

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 2:54am

Ireland has recruited heavily amongst people with top-notch language skills. :P

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 6:01pm

Two HEBCO technicians seasick aboard the MV County Armagh:

First: "Hagk!" as he leans over the rail.
Second, a bit green: "What was in that stew?"
Irish seaman rolling by: "T'was a soup, yank-mulligatawny. It's got a bit of neck of lamb in it and is quite a......
Second joins first at the rail: "Kargugh!"
Irish seaman shakes his head in disgust: "What's the matter with you two?"

Charles Howard in a car headed to Dublin:

He reads the report from Yemen. 'There is a slight chance that Yemen will agree to let us test the CRS.'

Maybe things are looking up?

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 1st 2008, 11:17pm

Gregory Powers, HEBCO Corporate Security reads the flimsy. His face turns red. He hits his interphone: "Simmons!"

Simmons, his aide comes rushing in. "Yes, Boss?"

"Get me Sean what's-his-name at whatever they have for an FBI in this country. Something bad is about to happen to Siam, and I need some government contacts, pronto."

"O'Meagher, sir." Simmons says. "Siam? I thought they threw us out of that country?"

Powers looks at Simmons. "That'll be the day when HEBCO Security is tossed. You should know that by now, Simmons. Now get me that O'Malley fella!"

howard

Unregistered

Sunday, August 3rd 2008, 5:37pm

HEBCO throws a fastball.

Greg Powers and Simon Lake playing golf with a HEBCO goon squad in the background to make sure they aren't disturbed:

Greg: "Too bad about Siam. I don't give their king a snowball's chance in Hades of making it through August. On the other hand, he did inadvertently save our Central Europe operator's hide. I thought the White Mice were on to him.

We developed some good contacts through that guy, into that region. Czech MI seems to be really on the ball as far as that as the ruckus in Lithuania goes and they spilled their guts to make that Siam warning possible."

Simon: "While you pat yourself on the back, Greg, don't get too happy. The South American War blew a HEBCO setup in Brazil....." Simon looks to make sure that he is out of earshot. Some of the goons are Irish, and probably their G-2. "You never saw that one coming."

Greg: "No network. No reliable contacts there. You didn't give me time to set one up in region. I've got one now in mind though. Ripe ground. Place is lousy with SATSUMA, AEGIS, even NATO agents, all stumbling over each other and making my job easy. Local national counter-intel has completely broken down. The place, though, is practically in SATSUMA's pocket. Do we want to pick sides in that spywar? If we do, then I say we risk alienating a huge market."

Simon: "No. Strict information brokerage as before. War is bad for our business. We only use what we know to prevent wars, not create them."

Greg: "Okay, Simon. I think a little of Charles Howard is rubbing off on you. You didn't used to be such a pacifist...."

Stay tuned.

H.

howard

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 10:30pm

A small hill overlooking GALWAY; the new Annex B going up making a steel skeletal frame around the harbor as Powers looks out on HEBCO GALWAY.

Simmons: "You didn't tell me Huerta was a crazed megalomaniac."
Powers: "One with a twisted sense of grandeur.'
Simmons: "But an aircraft carrier? Who do they think they are, the United States?"
Powers: "How is the network going?"
Simmons: "Difficult. We have to work this from the left hand and insert operatives cold, because we have nobody on the ground like we did in Brazil, or somebody who agrees with our vision like we do in Siam, who'll help us lodge in country."
Powers: "Well don't count on a narcissistic powermad Pibun Songhram thug to twist to our purpose, like we found in Siam. Emilio Huerta is a Peruvian patriot. He'll wedge doors open for us for only as long as he thinks its in Peru's interest."
Simmons: "And Songham?"
Powers: "Pibun is out for Pibun. Him we can bribe. Rare for a Thai these days. Lucky we found him. Too bad about that king though."

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 5th 2008, 10:31pm)

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 3:29am

Sydney Harbor.

On the rail of that leased Irish freighter, the two HEBCO technicians now have names, Muttlan and Jeffrey or Mutt and Jeff for short. They lean on the rail looking up at the clear cold sky.

Jeff: "Did you deliver your package?"
Mutt: "Yerp."
Jeff: "Southern Cross is sure pretty."
Jeff: "Think, we'll sell the rescue bell?"
Mutt: "Nerp."
Jeff: "How about Seahome 1?"
Mutt: "Nerp."
Jeff: "Think Siam's toast like the Aussies keep saying?"
Jeff: "Who do you think's gonna do them in?"
Mutt: "France, after that Pibun fella takes over, and starts making a ruckus."

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 7:13am

Quoted

Originally posted by howard

Powers: "Pibun is out for Pibun. Him we can bribe. Rare for a Thai these days. Lucky we found him. Too bad about that king though."

Hah! We'll kidnap him, seal him in armor, put him in a safe and hide him in the bottom of a lake to keep him alive!

wadda ya mean, did I rig the air supply?

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 3:52pm

HEBCO News Release #9

HEBCO GALWAY: HEBCO reports today that pursuant codicil 6 of its agreement with the Irish Free State, that Annex B is complete and will begin operations 3Q1936.

Simon Lake watches the big seaplane land and taxi across the harbor to its landing pier.

He eagerly awaits its present.

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 4:18pm

I should note that there's been some discussion between Hood and myself, and Ireland MAY be the Republic of Ireland and not the Free State. I have used both terms. Hood has indicated that Britain followed a more *searches for a good word* enlightened/liberal policy regarding Ireland, and said he regards it as fully independent. The Irish government is thus laid out like the Republic and not the Free State. It's just that I've used Saorstát Éireann then switched off to Republic of Ireland for a bit, and really have no clue which I'd rather be using at this point.

I think I might have the names "Saorstát Éireann" and "Republic of Ireland" just be synonymous, since I've used them both at various times. I'm just generally taking the lowest common denominator of "Eire/Ireland" and "the Irish".

Just FYI.

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 4:29pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
I should note that there's been some discussion between Hood and myself, and Ireland MAY be the Republic of Ireland and not the Free State. I have used both terms. Hood has indicated that Britain followed a more *searches for a good word* enlightened/liberal policy regarding Ireland, and said he regards it as fully independent. The Irish government is thus laid out like the Republic and not the Free State. It's just that I've used Saorstát Éireann then switched off to Republic of Ireland for a bit, and really have no clue which I'd rather be using at this point.

I think I might have the names "Saorstát Éireann" and "Republic of Ireland" just be synonymous, since I've used them both at various times. I'm just generally taking the lowest common denominator of "Eire/Ireland" and "the Irish".

Just FYI.

The HEBCO lawyers will amend the agreement to now read "Republic of Ireland". That will be codicil 2554.
:rolleyes:

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 8th 2008, 4:58pm

HEBCO GALWAY, Annex B:

Simon Lake looks at the first contraption: "This will allow a diver to operate at 500 feet?"

Jonah McLaughlin (resident Irish genius) : in Gaelic Of course it can, you knobhead! What did you think I called you in to see; a couple of flopping oysters?"

American translator: "It works."

All three move down to the next contraption, this one in pieces strewn across a half dozen work benches with a dozen or so frustrated mechanics and technicians running around fiddling with the parts.

Simon Lake: "And what's the story here?"

Jonah McLaughlin: always in Gaelic "Now this is a lot tougher nut for me to crack, you sheepgutting Yank slave-driver. Its got over fifteen thousand parts, its metric not imperial on top of it, and you expect me to duplicate it in ninety days and then improve it? What kind of idiot do you think I am? It'll take a year for me just to figure it out, and another year to duplicate it, as is."

American translator: "It doesn't work."

Simon Lake in Gaelic to the shocked pair of them: "You've got ninety days to do the job, McLaughlin: or I'll bring in someone who can do the job......."

.........to the American translator: "Do your job, or you're fired!"

Translator to McLaughlin: in Gaelic "We forgot that he's a genius....."

McLaughlin with a sheepish grin in English "and something of a clever !@#$%^&. I think I'm going to like him in spite of meself."

Translator: "Ninety days? Is it possible?""

Mclaughlin: "No, but I'll find a way. Why the rush I wonder?"

howard

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 1:01pm

HEBCO Galway, Annex B , Complex 34:

Greg Powers stands in front of a huge plot table......rather a wall. INS men, in their peculiar dark green uniforms, dash up and down US Post Office type wheeled ladders, and use their grease pencils, alcohol bottles, and terry cloth rags to draw on the board an enormous representation of history.

Terrence ó Súilleabháin, the INS naval staff intelligence man running this farce: “Ach, the fool didn't use his destroyers, or the weather! You know this is the first time I've seen this plotted? Why'd you ask us to do it?”

Greg Powers: “I wanted to see for what Hansa died.”

Terrence ó Súilleabháin: “Hansa? Was that the name of your girl? Its not Gaelic, what does it mean? ”

Powers, with some heat: “She wasn't a 'girl'. She was one of my best people. A good operative. “

He adds as he looks at ó Súilleabháin: “Hansa means 'Swan” in Thai.”

Terrence ó Súilleabháin, “Well, she died for that.” He sweeps his hand at the plotted death of the RSAN Hammer. “I hope it was worth it to HEBCO.”

Powers: “As you are my witness, O'Sullivan, I'll make sure that it is.”

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 13th 2008, 1:29pm)

howard

Unregistered

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 3:22am

HEBCO Security

Simmons enters Power's office: "They want to talk."

Powers: "Bit late for that, isn't it, with the French about to stomp them flat?"

Simmons: "Our man says that it isn't Siam's fault, but that they agree to our terms anyway-just 'knock it off' so they can stop Pibun, themselves."

Powers thinks about that. "They can't, not unless they get help. The Indo-China thing is about to blow up. That Songhram idiot already has his operation triggered."

Simmons: "First week in August?"

Powers: "Get hold of the Bobbsy Twins and tell them they just volunteered to work for me. Amateurs, but its what we've got in region that isn't already committed. Here's what they are to do......."

Powers follows up; "If the White Mice didn't start this, then find out who did, Simmons."

Simmons' shark-like face shows teeth: "Then you believe our operative?"

Ppwers: "He just delivered Siam, didn't he? Find out who the !@#$%^&*s really are, that started this. I don't want it to be said that HEBCOSec let the guilty escape."

Note:

The person of Greg Powers is modeled on this historic man:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects…chwarzkopf.html

Quoted

Col. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Born in 1896, Col. H. Norman Schwarzkopf graduated from West Point in 1917 and left for Europe to serve in the First World War. After the armistice, he was appointed military police chief of an occupied German town – a position which would ultimately shape his career. In 1921, soon after leaving the service and returning to New Jersey, the Governor of New Jersey appointed Col. Schwarzkopf to organize and lead the New Jersey State Police.

Col. Schwarzkopf was tough. Of the first 116 recruits, he admitted only eighty-one. By March of 1932, he had shaped the New Jersey State Police into a sizable and effective law enforcement agency. Upon learning of the Lindbergh kidnapping, Col. Schwarzkopf established a command center at the Hopewell estate. Initially, he found his investigation impeded by the Lindberghs' desire to negotiate with the kidnappers for the return of their child. Once the child’s body was found, Col. Schwarzkopf took complete control of the investigation. At the request of the Governor, he reopened the investigation after Hauptmann was convicted.

As a result of the political fall-out which arose in the wake of the Lindbergh affair, Col. Schwarzkopf was replaced as superintendent of the New Jersey State Police. In the late 1930’s, he narrated “Gang Busters” – a popular radio show about true crime. Col. Schwarzkopf returned to military service in 1940, ultimately achieving the rank of Brigadier General, and later helped to organize and train the Iranian police force. He is the father of the Gulf War hero, “Stormin Norman,” who shares his name. Col. Schwarzkopf died in 1958.

He was both ruthless and honorable, and didn't blanche from the unorthodox, or the necessary. He is credited with helping the Iranians build what eventually became SAVAK.

You can see where this is going?

Stay tuned.....

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 16th 2008, 3:28am)

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 3:47am

It's a good thing Irish G2 doesn't know about Powers, because they'd either arrest him as a terrorist mastermind...

...or offer him a job. :P