You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, December 30th 2003, 10:30am

Distances

does anybody know a good program for great circle navigation and distance calculation? I need Lisbon - Cleito, Cleito - Panama and loads more. Wes, what's the geographical location of Cleito?

cheers

Bernhard

Tuesday, December 30th 2003, 11:45am

Well Cleito is in central Atlantis at the northern end of the central sea inlet, deadcenter at the top of it, Eridanus is to the south east of it also at the northern tip of this inland sea. Phellus is directly north of Cleito on the northern coast while Lycabettus is 2/3rds down the eastern coast. On either side of the southern end of the inland sea is Xanthus (eastern side) and Pyrrha (western side). Deucalion and favonus are on the northwest tip of the continent while Thetis is halfway down the western coast.
The southern Island (yet to be named) contains the city's of Illissus and Aufidus and is roughly the same distance from the cape verde islands as the islands are from the african coast. Atlantis proper appears to be similar in size to Norway, Sweden and Finland and ironically has a similar shape to its continent.
I'm currently working on a rough map in order to add more city's and start to devide the country into regions and even get some of its geology laid out. So far Cleito's western end is smack dab against the mountains but this is the anchient city anyways and the site of Plato's mythical city of Atlantis complete with circular rings, in addition to newer medevil castles.

Tuesday, December 30th 2003, 11:50am

hmm. latitude and longitude? thanks for the good description :-)

Tuesday, December 30th 2003, 12:01pm

Looking at the map would give us roughly 28 North, 33 West. Pehaps Wes has more precise coordinates.

Walter

Tuesday, December 30th 2003, 10:51pm

co-ordinates?

...who needs co-ordinants?!!! Acctually I haven't gotten that specific about it yet. Going by the map of the world that I have and useing the wesworld map as a reference the east coast of Atlantis is at 25 west., the northern coast is at 33 north, the western coast is at 45 west and the sothern coast of the mainland is at 20 north. If you have the distance between the cape verde islands and the African coast that should give you the distance to the largest southern island ( island containing Illissus) from the cape verde islands.

Friday, January 2nd 2004, 8:27pm

Acctually looking through my copy of Janes fighting ships of WW1 I noticed tables showing distances between various ports. I can look up whatever ones you like and see if they are listed.

Friday, January 2nd 2004, 8:38pm

Funny. Haven't spotted those distances before in there. Good to know that.
Some distances are in knots in that book. Is a knot distance equal to a nautical mile? I know that 1 knot is 1.852 km/h.

Walter

Friday, January 2nd 2004, 9:17pm

Not sure on that one....I guess we have to use the lists using miles as a distance and go from there.

Friday, January 2nd 2004, 9:45pm

Well, looking in the book the UK section has the distance Portsmouth-New York at 3080 knots and the US section has the distance New York-Portsmouth at 3060 miles.

So it looks like the knot is roughly the distance of a nautical mile.

With knot at 1.852 km, this would give us 1.864 km for a nautical mile.

Walter