You are not logged in.

Thursday, May 8th 2008, 3:11pm

RfP Heavy trucks and Tank trucks

The IDC is issuing a RfP for Heavy Trucks (6-10t) suitable for offroad operation and Fuel transport trucks with offroad capability

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Vukovlad" (May 8th 2008, 3:26pm)

Thursday, May 8th 2008, 3:20pm

RE: RfP Heavy trucks and Tank trucks

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
The IDC is issuing a RfP for Heavy Trucks (6-10t) suitable for offroad operation and Tank trucks with offroad capability

By "Tank Trucks" do you mean cargo halftracks, or tank transporters??

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (May 8th 2008, 3:21pm)

Thursday, May 8th 2008, 3:25pm

I meant Fuel Transport trucks

Tuesday, May 13th 2008, 6:57pm

Bump

Tuesday, May 13th 2008, 8:24pm

When I get round to posting my 1935 news the Danes will be looking for something similar.....

So purely OOC, give me a few days to work on some drawings and DANA will be happy to submit some designs for your perusal!

Tuesday, May 13th 2008, 8:47pm

Great Britain has several commerical types from Dennis (5 tons) and Commer.

Scammell can offer its Pioneer 6x4 truck which dates from 1927 but it can tow heavy trailers (its the standard British Army Tank transport as the 'Queen Mary' and the basic design has been around since 1927.

Leyland is working on a new 10 ton model called Retriever but is not expected to be ready until mid 1937 at the earliest.

Simple 3 ton Bedford and Morris trucks could be delivered as fuel tankers quite easily.

Tuesday, May 13th 2008, 10:24pm

Are those British trucks offroad capable?

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 4:11pm

The Brits didn't go too much on all-wheel drive etc but they should do on country roads etc.

The British Army is using them anyway. I'm not sure how much terrain came into military thinking for trucks in the 1930s.

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 4:29pm

Anyone else see the guys from Top Gear drive across Botswana in normal road cars? I think they proved pretty well that all-wheel drive isn't always necessary.

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 4:36pm

"OLIVER!!!!!!"
:D

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 4:48pm

There is a slight difference between the flats of N. Africa/SW Africa and the mountains of Persia

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 5:12pm

"Slight" doesn't quite discribe the difference.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 5:32pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
Anyone else see the guys from Top Gear drive across Botswana in normal road cars? I think they proved pretty well that all-wheel drive isn't always necessary.

I think the Persian mountains and likely road infrastructure may be a reasonable place for trucks with greater performance.

In my neck of the woods, even 4x4 with lift kits and oversized tires are not always enough in wintertime, roads get too muddy and the County road becomes impassable. Locals used to go mudding out on the County road until 4x4s couldn't get through. Though folks swear you can get about anywhere if you use mud chains. Still, not practical for military convoys or supply routes.

Yet in the summer, you can get around in a normal street car (well as long as the stream crossings are there).

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 6:21pm

Quoted

There is a slight difference between the flats of N. Africa/SW Africa and the mountains of Persia

Hundreds of miles of mud flats, rocks, bush, swamp with only about 10% on anything that can be described as a road.

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 11:06pm

I think that that 10% is rather optimistic...

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 11:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

Hundreds of miles of mud flats, rocks, bush, swamp with only about 10% on anything that can be described as a road.

A road is simply a prepared grade that allows higher speeds and can be shaped to maintain better drainage. Of the features you describe, only the swamp sounds like a real barrier to a car, provided you can drive over/around the other features. Cross country car races existed before the first 4x4 car- the Dutch 1903 Spyker :)

Once in actual terrain, traction becomes of more import. Mud, gravel, other matters that undermine your drive wheel effectiveness and limit steering capacity. Vertical obstacles requiring wheel travel to avoid high-centering, etc.

Friday, May 16th 2008, 9:27am

Ask and youtube provides. The bit in part can be found here. Its quite good fun to watch.

I've a book from the library currently about AFV design. Theres a large section on mobility and bridging and a great picture of a Stalwart all terrain vehicle stuck in a ditch because its too steep to get out of. In Europe, most gaps that need to be crossed are around 6-10m with very few wider ones.