You are not logged in.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, April 21st 2008, 3:37am

Membership Application

November 15, 1935

On the 30th anniversary of Leopold II's surrendering power to Queen Wilhelmina, the Kingdom of the Kongo wants to assume proper status among the nations of the world.

As such, Kongo Minister of Foreign Affairs, Count Nzinga Mvemba, at the behest of Prime Minister Duke Lukeni lua Nimi, and with the permission and blessing of Queen Wilhelmina, hereby petitions the League of Nations for Membership.

(A-)Historical details :
While there was 1933-34(?) contribution of the 2nd Kongo Brigade to the LON Bolivian force, I doubt the Kingdom is a member yet, as it is very young and had little reason to be involved in international affairs.

Currently the Kingdom of the Kongo has little in the way of foreign relations, likely some conciliates in nearby territories, esp. SAE, but otherwise relying on Dutch Embassies to handle matters. The Queen has directly controlled the limited foreign policy until about 1928, after which it has been mixed. e would be one

OTL, the Congo was formed in the 1885 Berlin conference and given to President Leopold II of International Association of the Congo for safekeeping. This was a supposedly humanitarian company, but really a shell secretly held by Leopold II.

Leopold II promptly set about a ruthless campaign to plunder the region. Twenty years later the news of widespread atrocities (the Heart of Darkness for one) resulted in international outcry and pressure to remove Leopold II from control.

OTL, everyone thought it would be an expensive money pit and nobody volunteered until the Belgian Govt. reluctantly took it over in 1908.

In Wesworld, Queen Wilhelmina took the burden in 1905 and committed her 27,000 "Household" troops to forcibly evicting Leopold's "Force Publique", while sinking over a hundred million dollars into the Kingdom. Post war German refugees helped repopulate the eastern portions and provide a technical skill base, while the SANTA treaty gave the Kingdom the development it needed.

Thirty years in, the government has evolved from direct rule to a Prime Minister and Cabinet, primarily selected from a House of Lords style of body.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Apr 21st 2008, 3:39am)

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 6:01pm

... Since not a single nation has objected to this membership application, Japan hereby welcomes the Kingdom of the Kongo as the League of Nations' latest member. Japan thanks Queen Wilhelmina and the Kingdom of the Netherlands that they are willing to give the Kingdom of the Kongo this great opportunity.

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 8:08pm

OOC: Hey yeah seems we forgot about this one.
IC:

Atlantis also welcomes the Kingdom of the kongo to the LON.

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 8:19pm

+3

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 8:20pm

OOC: I hadn't forgotten about it. I wanted to wait and see if other nations had any problems with it... but no one reacted to this post so now that I have my H1/1936 report pretty much completed, I decided to reply to it...
... and if anyone does have a problem with it, I have got bad news for you: You're too late! :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Apr 26th 2008, 8:21pm)

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 8:25pm

No thier not too late, seeing as we ALL waited till now to reply. That said I doubt anyone, even India, would object.

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 10:15pm

India finds the application as another ploy of the Dutch Government to try to stack the deck on their favor on the League. Their behavior is typical... :D

Just kidding. Bharat see no problem with Kongo joining the family of nations.

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 7:03am

His Most Royal Majesty, King Carol of Romania, as well as his Majesty's Government both send their congradulations to the people of the Kongo region on entering the family of nations.

General Sikorski, chief of the Armed Forces, and Head of the Government of the people of Poland sends their congradulations as well to the people of Kongo on their entry into the family of nations.

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 7:38am

I'm just shocked ShinRa hasn't noticed I stole his gag!

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 8:10am

I thought ShinRa was on vacation...?

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 9:59am

I think he's poping in from time to time to cheack up.

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 1:10pm

Germany has no objections to the Kongo's joining the League, welcome.

The US expresses no objections.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 7:05pm

Kongo Minister of Foreign Affairs, Count Nzinga Mvemba;

"To the gentlemen of this grand assemblage I give my thanks and the thanks of the peoples of the Kongo.

The oldest mbudye can recall a time within living memory we were many separate kingdoms. The eldest among us can recall the first time they saw Europeans, and my generation is the first to have learned in school of the greater world.

The peoples of the Kongo have made great progress in the past thirty years and it is with pride and pleasure we take our place here. Thank you all. "