You are not logged in.

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 5:23pm

Looks much much better mefinks, allmost a cross between Hood/Nelson/Graf Spee.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 5:55pm

I am wondering if the spate of aviation fuel fires amidships during the South American war might lead to a reconsideration of the amidships facilities in preference for the stern.

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 5:57pm

Heh, there's a reason the KM asked Arado if a diesel-powered version of the Ar-196 was possible..... :)

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 6:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
I am wondering if the spate of aviation fuel fires amidships during the South American war might lead to a reconsideration of the amidships facilities in preference for the stern.

Possibly. Did the British suffer any similar problems on their Shefield/Fiji class cruisers or the KGV's? IIRC Glasgow lost her bow due to an Avgas explosion.

Kaiser Kirk

Thursday, April 24th 2008, 4:04am

For major warships I'm in favor of putting such things as planes, torpedoes and smoking Filipinos on the stern where they can blow up quietly.

And yes, I did notice the German request, seemed a rather reasonable course of action. Having less experience with the German diesel radials. I'm still debating if I want to follow suit, or take a different tack.

I did forget to compliment the artwork, it's a nice rendition.

Thursday, April 24th 2008, 5:15am

Excellent artwork... you're one of the best, alt_naval.
I prefer the all-forward design myself...
But then again, I think that the Nelson class and the unbuilt Saint class were both handsomely designed ships.

Though in defense, my favorite major surface combatant is the South Dakota of 1939... though I'll admit to a large amount of prejudice in that matter. ;)
Battleship Alabama

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Carthaginian" (Apr 24th 2008, 5:16am)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, April 24th 2008, 10:15am

Stern installations have their own problems. Think vibrations (ruptured avgas pipes anybody?) and less room for storage due to hull form.

Thursday, April 24th 2008, 10:30am

Diesel oil doesn't blow up in confined spaces, but aviation grade diesel will still burn very well. I remember torching a wasp's nest with red diesel ages ago and that lit fine. Stern installations are more problematic as you can't have a satisfactory hangar unless you've got a very larger ship. On smaller ships you've either got no hangar, or a very large hole not far above the waterline.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, April 24th 2008, 12:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
On smaller ships you've either got no hangar, or a very large hole not far above the waterline.

That´s actually true and when looking at some WesWorld design where drawings are available I doubt the installations could be done as expected. You´ve also need room for your ships rudder engine etc. so it´s not that simple to put a hangar aft on a cruiser or even smaller ships.

Kaiser Kirk

Friday, April 25th 2008, 7:15pm

I was thinking of the big boxy sterns such as found on the US Cruisers. The late 1930s CAs/CLs all seem to have stern hangers and twin cats.

As for the rudder engine- likely easier to protect than the amidships area.

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 6:45am

Thanks for the feedback. Its unlikely these ships will be built now but I figured that as they are high speed with a long machinery space then midships was going to be best for aircraft, they are out of the weather, the centre minimises the ship motion when handling the aircraft (and boats) and above all, there is ample space.

Aircraft are going to be a fire hazard anywhere on a ship. You would need a combination of overwhelming carrier support with large airgroups and radar to make spotting/scout aircraft obsolete. Despite the SA war experience this would point to the need to minimise the hazard with avgas as there is no alternative at the moment to ship board aircraft for cruisers.

Cheers,