You are not logged in.

Friday, April 18th 2008, 4:54am

My two cents would be:

-The RSAN doesn't know how long this war will last. If the land war bogs down into trench warfare, it could go on for years more. Ample time to get the class back in combat.

-The RSAN already has two capital ships out of service and can't be sure it won't have more damaged or sunk in action or by accident - and for now, the Ophions are the most modern battleships in the fleet.

-The RSAN can't be sure that more capital ships won't join the other side - whether as sales/transfers or as new belligerents. Nor can it be entirely certain that even its closest allies will actually commit their own capital ships to combat if asked. There's a significant difference between covering a friend's back and kicking somebody's ass.

-The effects of a collapsing Cleito regime are probably not really evident yet, unless South African intelligence is unusually proficient.

So my recommendation would be the quickest, simplest repair job possible. In two or three years, when the war's over and the fleet's battle damage is made good, you can then look at a more extensive mid-life refit, with some sense of international post-Cleito building plans elsewhere.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, April 18th 2008, 9:22am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Shouldn't repairing ships be easier, not harder??

Probably - but this war is the first real test for the rules with many ships damaged and in need for repair. The option to half time for double costs helps a bit if one uses wartime production rules with 50% more output from the factories. Still in the long run it´s too expensive but then again - a war will always ruin your economy. So that´s probably even realistic.....

HoOmAn

Friday, April 18th 2008, 12:42pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
Considering ships like Franklin, Yorktown, North Carolina, South Dakota, long ocean journeys are doable after heavy damage. The torpedo hit is the major one, but could be patched for the trip.

So yes, making one's way home would be doable. The Navy might want to make sure not storm is coming and take Ophion up north toward the equator then over to Kamerun and down, to avoid weather.

You´re most likely right. 61% looks really low but it´s actually at the edge of `moderate`damage as you said. Guess I can sail her to South Africa or Cameroon.

HoOmAn

Friday, April 18th 2008, 12:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
-The RSAN already has two capital ships out of service and can't be sure it won't have more damaged or sunk in action or by accident - and for now, the Ophions are the most modern battleships in the fleet.

[...]

So my recommendation would be the quickest, simplest repair job possible. In two or three years, when the war's over and the fleet's battle damage is made good, you can then look at a more extensive mid-life refit, with some sense of international post-Cleito building plans elsewhere.

The OPHIONs are not the most modern, that would be the IMPERATORs, but I know what you mean and actually it´s worth than you painted it. The RSAN has lost both HERTOGs, both OPHIONs and one MAURITIUS-class out of service even if not sunk. That´s five capital ships. Add two CAs, one CV, one AV and several CLs the navy can´t affort having the OPHIONs sit around in a yard for years.

Running some calculations it seems as if the Opgion could be back in service in 9 month for ~30000ts and the HYPERION in ~5 month for approx. 20000ts respectively. It´s a lot but could be done if I shift some new builds, refits and repairs...