You are not logged in.

Wednesday, April 9th 2008, 2:42pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Frankly I dont get the first design, decent range but a poor seaboat, twice as heavy as the original Agas and still not able to outrun cruisers or destroyers.

That's partly a result of Springsharp's inability to sim extremely high-speed vessels. The highest speed I could get without having it fall apart was 33.75 knots... but the Abdiel-class minelayer, which I based it on, could make 38 knots. That, I believe, could outrun a destroyer. :)

True, the seaboat quality is not that great, but remember again that's partly a factor of Springsharp disliking ultrafast designs. It's also partly because the ship has a high L/B ratio, meaning I had to play around a lot more with the trim to get a favorable stability.

Quoted

Ctesiphon (II), Persia Training ship laid down 1936

This is a destroyer leader or a super-light cruiser, not a training ship. :P

That is a problem with SS that it fails to SIM Destroyers and smaller ships realistically.

Why isnt the Ctesiphon (II) a good training ship?

Wednesday, April 9th 2008, 6:47pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
True, the seaboat quality is not that great, but remember again that's partly a factor of Springsharp disliking ultrafast designs. It's also partly because the ship has a high L/B ratio, meaning I had to play around a lot more with the trim to get a favorable stability.

Part of the problem is that you forgot the transom stern, it makes a large difference on ships of this size.[/quote]
Well, yes, and then I would have someone say "You don't put a transom stern on a minelayer!" I can't win! ;(

Quoted

Why isnt the Ctesiphon (II) a good training ship?

Well, she would make a good training ship, but with her speed, guns, and armour, she'd make a better DDL, if you ask me.

When *I* am looking for a training ship, I'd go with either an old, converted CL, AC, or BB; with a 20-knot tender-type vessel, or with a tall ship. The speed costs too much for a training ship of marginal combat value. That's pretty much what I'm going to do for Bulgaria: I'm building the barque Bylgarski Lav, a 1,695-ton sailing vessel, and also eventually converting my old CL Stara Zagora into an MTB Tender with training facilities. In peacetime, the MTBs stay home and Stara Zagora putters about in the Black letting green-faced cadets hurl over the side, and then repaint her; in wartime she'll repair, rearm, and refuel my MTBs.

Incidentally, your existing Karkheh-class tenders, I think, would make a very respectable training vessel. Perhaps not glamourous, but they're already in your fleet (or could have a third example built fairly easily, as you'd already be in possession of the plans).

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, April 9th 2008, 8:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Well, yes, and then I would have someone say "You don't put a transom stern on a minelayer!" I can't win! ;(

You learn fast grasshopper.
:)