You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, November 29th 2003, 2:53pm

Help Needed

Hi folks,

I need a S-boat with the following characteristics:

34x5,1x1,6m
~100ts
2xTT 533mm
1x 40mm
2x 20mm
3x 2000PS Diesel engines on 3 shafts
700nm at 35kn

How to design it with either springstyle or springsharp?

Thanks for your input...

HoOmAn

Saturday, November 29th 2003, 4:16pm

Quoted

How to design it with either springstyle or springsharp?

Don't, i've already tried with the MAS boats. Spring* doesn't work at all. i can't see anything else to do other than just pick a historical design.

Saturday, November 29th 2003, 11:10pm

well

I've read that the S-boats were very stout boats so perhaps you have to use a very high block co-efficient?
I'll see if I can SS a design, allthough by the sounds of it its imposible.

Saturday, November 29th 2003, 11:34pm

yep

....I tip my hat to you if you can do it with SS! I think its outside the range of accurate ship design with SS. another guess on how to do it would be to use the desired dementions and scale them up by ten in SS to get a workable boat and then devide the tonnage ect. by 10 to get the acctual specs? I'm not sure if this would work.

Sunday, November 30th 2003, 12:10am

It won't. If you increase length, beam, and draught by a factor of 10 each, tonnage increases by a factor of 1000. Machinery-power does not increase linearly with tonnage, however, and it should be noted that the machinery used in small attack-craft are either high-speed petrol-engines or high-speed diesels (although by WW2 I think only the Germans had adopted diesels for MTBs) - they are on a different curve than steam-turbines and large medium- and low-speed diesel-engines. Hull-form and -size also matters, as the different portions of resistance have different proportions of total resistance on a small hull than on a large hull - and fast vessels have planing or semi-planing hulls, which do not fit in any way with SpringStyle's formulae.