You are not logged in.

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 4:24am

I perosnally do not have a problem with this aircraft. The engines are licensed, Siam has a small but decent aircraft industry (builds FW-42s), and has the required gun.

Mexican FW-187s already carry 2x25.4mm guns, and plans have them carrying 1x47mm gun.Like it was pointed out the P-39 carried a 37mm gun in this time period, and it is perfectly possible to stuff 3x27mm guns in a Pe-2 sized aircraft. After all the XP-67 was planned to carry 6x37mm cannons!

Quoted

I've edited the 37mm's down to two (within reason for the airframe, according to an earlier suggestion) and dropped the airspeed down to a figure given from a better source than Wiki.
That and pushing the date up to 1937 should work fine.

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 4:31am

...Siam builds THESE planes?

...AUUGHG! MY EYES!! I MUST GOUGE THEM OUT, it's so ugly! 8o :D

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 4:37am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
...Siam builds THESE planes?

...AUUGHG! MY EYES!! I MUST GOUGE THEM OUT, it's so ugly! 8o :D

Only because they are in production prior to my taking the country. That is one of the things Swampy did I wish I could take back, like the carrier.

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 5:55am

You could always convert them into target drones.....for heavy AA. Or better yet leave them on a deserted airfield and practice airfield strafing with live ammo!

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 5:58am

The destruction of planes? Heretic!!! Even Ugly planes deserve a chance after all they don't even need wings! :D

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 11:23am

Quoted

I believe the point of the advanced aircraft is explore piston engines, not missles or jets. That may have a ripple effect on all sorts of things, but I would prefer not missles/rockets/jets unless there is a specific discussion and agreement on that point. To date, the last discussion resolved the other way - non advanced jets/rockets.

I'll be honest: I know nothing about such a discussion...
... besides, I did not create SAER. While I have looked at rockets on planes in the past (late 1920s I believe with modified Prieur rockets, with newer, improved variants becoming available now with better, more reliable, less flamable planes being available to carry such rockets), I have started to look at such weaponry after the creation of SAER (as well as the use of the Pe-2 clone as weapons platform for the Fritz-X clone).

Quoted

I plan on dabling in guided ordinance programs of my own, some of which should see service in 42/43, unless the Japanese, um, accelerate the timeline.

I think this "what if" picture might be a good reason for Atlantis to work on guided ordnance if it were to become a reality. :D

Inspired by this "what if" image from Italy of the attack on the ANS Melampus. :)

Quoted

The destruction of planes? Heretic!!! Even Ugly planes deserve a chance after all they don't even need wings!

My opinion: Such ugliness deserves destruction. I'd use it as cannon fodder in order to distract the enemy with its ugliness. :)

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 12:07pm

Re: the Fw-42s - I don't think Siam was building them so much as buying them from Focke-Wulf in Germany, at least originally. But the plan was to build some of Siam's aircraft domestically, so it's certainly possible that some of the Fw-42s were built in Siam.

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 5:23pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Re: the Fw-42s - I don't think Siam was building them so much as buying them from Focke-Wulf in Germany, at least originally. But the plan was to build some of Siam's aircraft domestically, so it's certainly possible that some of the Fw-42s were built in Siam.

There will be 'innumerable problems' with the Siamese-built aircraft, then, leading them to change over to something more conventional.

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 5:31pm

The only thing unconventional about the Fw-42 is the placement of the wing and horizontal tail. Production wise, the Fw-42 seems easier to manufacture than the Pe-2.

You should stick with the FW-42, then a few years down the road you can build these babies:

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 5:34pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
The only thing unconventional about the Fw-42 is the placement of the wing and horizontal tail.

This is a VERY BIG difference, DF.

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 5:44pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
I think this "what if" picture might be a good reason for Atlantis to work on guided ordnance if it were to become a reality. :D

Inspired by this "what if" image from Italy of the attack on the ANS Melampus. :)

Yawn....Another nation counting its chickens before they hatch I see. Unfortunately for you Walter, there are much better pictures of distroyed Japanese vessels to use to inflate ones ego.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 6:21pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson

As a storyline matter, Fokker (in WW) has a factory in the Indies, so training and technical help for the fledgling Siamese aircraft factory would have been available. They could then work off the German plans to build their plane.
Though Plane plans are seldom plain :)

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 6:36pm

So, Siam makes ugly cats and ugly aircraft. I may have to declare war on them for humanitarian purposes. :D

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 7:49pm

Quoted

This is a VERY BIG difference, DF.
Not in terms of production, and the aerodymanic kinks have already been worked out.