You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 1:34am

New Danish Seaplane for 1936

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Mar 5th 2008, 2:39am)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 1:57am

Tis huge!

It's also similar to something Fokker wants to develop using Dornier as the hull designer.

Curious, you list 7 machine guns, I see 6, unless that ventral viewport doubles for a gun port.

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 2:35am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
Tis huge!

It's also similar to something Fokker wants to develop using Dornier as the hull designer.

Curious, you list 7 machine guns, I see 6, unless that ventral viewport doubles for a gun port.

a/ Tis, but not out of historical.

b/ Closer to an American design, crossed with a Dornier

c/ You got it!

Kaiser Kirk

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 2:48am

Oh I know the size is ok, went poking about flying boats to make sure what I was designing wasn't silly.

The thing is.. if this comes out in 1936, I may have to consider dropping Fokker's effort and buying Danish. I'll have to look at my design some evening after work (since my excel 4.0 doesn't do planebuilder) and see where the differences lie and how your ranges fit my desired range bands.

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 2:57am

Strange, but well done!
I like the push/pull engines, a nice ahistorical touch that sets it apart. 2200 pounds of DC's would ruin and sub skipper's day. :D

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 3:09am

Nothing a-historical about the push-pull engines, the Do-26 had them, along with a number of other Dornier designs that weren't built. Seems like some other designs had them as well, but I can't remember them off hand.

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 3:49am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Nothing a-historical about the push-pull engines, the Do-26 had them, along with a number of other Dornier designs that weren't built. Seems like some other designs had them as well, but I can't remember them off hand.

I know there were a few designs that had them, but they were hardly the favored method. It's interesting to see it used on something mainstream.

Also, if you understand Planebuilder, could you help me out a bit? I'm wanting to play with a design, but can't really understand what I'm doing.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Carthaginian" (Mar 5th 2008, 3:50am)

Kaiser Kirk

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 4:13am

Quoted

Pretty sure there were a number of OTL Italian flying boats that had them, though mounted well above the wing in a nacelle.

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 4:36am

Whoa ugly!

Not a bad plane, but you will have problems cooling the rear engines.

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 10:00am

I'm a bit concerned about the pontoons. They're rather massive and draggy. I think smaller floats, but further out along the wing would look nicer, but thats just me. Maybe a bit more chine on the hull as well.

I'm not sure on the double tail either. The might be unexpected effects in having it in the slipstream of the props. Have you drawn a single-tail version?

Overall, it looks pretty good.

Quoted

Not a bad plane, but you will have problems cooling the rear engines.

Not with those massive radiators in the wings. Ground running on just the rear engines might be a problem as theres very little airflow going through the radiators, but this could be overcome.

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 11:05am

Quoted

Rohrbach historically designed several in the late 20's, but none were built. This is WW's second of these to fly. The first was in WW 1932-ish.

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 11:10am

Just a few design points....

The 4 engines would be used to get her airbourne, and ground taxi-ing would only be on the front two. Story line is that pilots of the Ro IX, discovered the rear engine thing on a flight back from St. Thomas when they lost the port forward engine, and actually made the rest of the flight on the rears only to ease the assymetric thrust effects.

Pontoons were decided on because it was felt that the wing was too high for a "normal" float support structure.
They also double as extra fuel tanks

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 11:45am

Because of the tall fuselage, Dornier-style "water wings" make a fair amount of sense, though stabilizing floats would certainly work. I don't think they need to quite THAT prominent, though, based on the Do-214/-216 designs (which WW Germany is thinking about building).

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 1:13pm

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/V…20-%200654.html

Supermarine Type 524. Its huge and still has the wing floats. For that matter, just look at the SaRo Princess.