You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 11:40am

OOC: This is why the League doesn't work. Time and time again the "I don't care what you say I'll just leave the League" viewpoint comes up whatever we're discussing. The League is just totally powerless to stop that and therefore totally useless. Anyone can do what he likes regardless of whatever anyone says or a group says. Even an Aye vote is totally un-enforcible IC or OOC.

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 12:09pm

Well, yes. But that's the League in a nutshell, and for the most part the UN too.

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 5:22pm

Thats why they must be OOC strong powers.

If AdmK , Hood and Hrolf together do a little power gaming and say in no uncertain terms "PLAY NICE" then everyone else will listen.

Those three players represent the biggest powers in WW.
UN worked well when US and SU agreed on something. Take the Suez Crisis, it ended in weeks. Now when Soviets said "I'm taking my ball and going home" then we had 3 years long hostilities in Korea.

And I think this time is an example that League dose work.
The dispute is over no one got hurt, it not resolved but it is over.

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 9:39pm

Heh, to continue CG's line of thought, if someone wants to "to take their ball and go home," the League could theoretically say "fine, no supper for you," and if things continue "wait until your father gets home." The problem is, "no supper for you" won't work with some countries, and "wait until your father gets home," would likely break the League if it hasn't already. This is likely why there are so many different alliances in WW, just in case the League doesn't work out.

Still, despite all that, there is something to be said for open discussion, and clearing the air.

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 10:25pm

[SIZE=5]The Eye has spoken... [/SIZE]

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 7:27am

You forgot,

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]I KNOW, I SEE, ALL.[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Feb 7th 2010, 7:28am)

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 1:37pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Marek Gutkowski
If AdmK , Hood and Hrolf together do a little power gaming and say in no uncertain terms "PLAY NICE" then everyone else will listen.

To paraphrase DCI Gene Hunt;

"If your not good I'll come round yer' houses and stamp on all your toys!" :D

Will that do the trick?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Feb 7th 2010, 1:38pm)

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 5:26pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
To paraphrase DCI Gene Hunt;

"If your not good I'll come round yer' houses and stamp on all your toys!" :D

Will that do the trick?

Basically..

The problems You three have too agree on something beforehand.

Tuesday, October 1st 2013, 8:18pm

Diplo-Bump

18 June 1944*

The new Iberian representative to the League of Nations, Sr. Pedro Moreno y Garcia, says:

"Gentlemen, it has been almost two years since China formally withdrew its claim to the Paracel Islands. To my thinking, it is worth asking if the remaining claimants to the Paracels believe they can work out a mutually acceptable understanding that would allow the termination of the Paracels Mandate currently administered by my government."

*OOC: Date selected as being in the present or near future for everybody - thus no ret-conning of news would be necessary

Tuesday, October 1st 2013, 9:03pm

OOC: It is my understanding that the only remaining claimants are Indochina (longstanding historical claim), Chile (1930s claim based on a grave on one of the islands), and the Philippines (which I believe dropped their claim).

Are there any other claims that need to be addressed?

Tuesday, October 1st 2013, 9:48pm

It is Japan's opinion that the withdrawal of the Chinese claim makes matters more simple and that ownership of the islands should be granted to Indochina.

Tuesday, October 1st 2013, 11:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
OOC: It is my understanding that the only remaining claimants are Indochina (longstanding historical claim), Chile (1930s claim based on a grave on one of the islands), and the Philippines (which I believe dropped their claim).

Are there any other claims that need to be addressed?

The Philippines had a claim to the Paracels? If so, at this juncture, the Philippine Government would vacate its claim in favor of Indochina.

Wednesday, October 2nd 2013, 1:45am

In that case, there being no other known claimants...

Octavio Reyes (Chile): "The Republic of Chile wishes to formally retract its claim to the Paracel Islands in favor of Indochina, under the sole condition that Chile's military graveyard be maintained as an appropriate sanctuary for the deceased."

Le Van Thinh (Indochina): "The state of Indochina maintains its claim to the Hoàng Sa Islands, sometimes called the Paracels, and is ready, willing, and able to take charge of the archipelago."

Wednesday, October 2nd 2013, 3:12am

Sr. Morean y Garcia: "Thank you, gentlemen. The Iberian Confederation is pleased to table the following motion:

Quoted

Whereas the League of Nations established an Iberian mandate over the Paracel Islands until such time as conflicting national claims to the islands could be resolved in a peaceful manner;

And whereas China, the Philippines, and Chile have in this venue officially retracted any claim to the Paracel Islands;

And whereas Indochina is the sole state asserting a claim to the Paracels;

Let it be therefore resolved that the League of Nations shall terminate the Iberian mandate over the Paracel Islands and recognize Indochinese sovereignty over the Paracel Islands, effective midnight on September 1, 1944.

"The Iberian Confederation invites Indochina to second or amend the motion as necessary and then submit the motion to the League membership for a binding vote."

Wednesday, October 2nd 2013, 3:24am

Le Van Thinh: "The state of Indochina seconds the motion brought by the Commonwealth of Iberia, and proposes it for a vote."

France concurs with the motion.

Wednesday, October 2nd 2013, 3:38am

Don Luis Varela, delegate of the Republic of the Philippines, addresses himself to the League Council thus:

"The Government of the Republic of the Philippines votes in favor of the proposal brought forth to settle once and for all the status of the Hoàng Sa Islands, sometimes called the Paracel Islands."

Wednesday, October 2nd 2013, 2:09pm

Well that was settled nicely and quickly. If only all geopolitics could be handled this way...

Great Britain - Aye
Argentina - Aye

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Oct 5th 2013, 3:15pm)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, October 4th 2013, 9:49pm

ooc : unsure if this is security council or general vote, in either case, I can't see any of the various states I squire having an objection except the Kongo. The Kongo would be concerned about the wishes of the local folks, but as the local folks seem to be Indochinese they'd be ok with this. Likewise Saud would see the ending of a mandate and the return of territory as a good thing...

IC :
Dutch
Kongo
Belgium
Luxembourg
Kingdom of Saud
Sultanate of Yemen
...all yes

Friday, October 4th 2013, 10:07pm

The United States votes aye.

The Kingdom of Romania votes aye.

Friday, October 4th 2013, 10:28pm