You are not logged in.

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 4:33am

Not a ship design... ship design questions.

Rather, this is for some questions that I have about equipment that isn't featured anywhere else that I can find. Basically I'm looking to fond the average weights for the following equipment:

1.) Depth Charges (average WWI models)
2.) Torpedoes (450mm, 500mm & 600mm)
3.) ASDIC or other primitive sonar systems
4.) Surface Search Radar & FC Radar
5.) Aircraft and Launch/Recovery Equipment

I don't exactly know what Siam can build, but I want to know how much weight to set aside in my designs for the things that I can do.

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 4:35am

I generally apply 50 tons on a cruiser or battleship-sized design with aircraft, and 25 tons for radar and growth...

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 4:45am

RE: Not a ship design... ship design questions.

Heres what I set aside, roughly.

1.) Depth Charges (average WWI models) - 4 per ton
2.) Torpedoes (450mm, 500mm & 600mm)- between 1.5 and 2 tons per torpedo
3.) ASDIC or other primitive sonar systems - 6-8 tons
4.) Surface Search Radar & FC Radar - 10 tons
5.) Aircraft and Launch/Recovery Equipment - 50 tons per aircraft (including spare parts ammo ect.) plus 10-15 tons for catapult and another 5 for a crane.

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 5:07am

Thanks, guys. Siam is looking to get current in a big way. We may not be the biggest kid on the block, but we do wanna have some cool toys. :D Now, I just gotta get in touch with some folks about opening a few branch offices in Siam.

Remember- we have lotsa cheap labor, and are centrally located for all your Southeast Asian marketing needs! :)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 9:58am

I agree on Wes´ figures except aircrafts where I thought the rule was 25 tons per aircraft, so 50 tons for two and 75 tons for three etc. These figures include crane(s), catapult, fittings, hangar, ammo, fuel, stores etc.

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 11:41am

Weights and information on weapons can be found here.

The standard British asdic set in the interwar years weighed 9tons. Later sets weighed more as more equipment was added, PPI etc.

Most large radar aerials weigh around the 20ton mark but with the extra equipment they'll weigh more like 40-50tons. Short range FC radars with parabolic dishes are more around the 1 ton mark so they can be mounted on turrets. Adopting a longer wavelength saves weight because you need less power to transmit. Or a longer wavelength with the same power gives you a longer range. The longer wavelengths don't have as good resolution though so usefulness for gunnery is less.

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 2:46pm

Quoted

I agree on Wes´ figures except aircrafts where I thought the rule was 25 tons per aircraft, so 50 tons for two and 75 tons for three etc. These figures include crane(s), catapult, fittings, hangar, ammo, fuel, stores etc.

What I can remember that we set it at 25 tons per aircraft and 25 tons for 1 crane + 1 catapult (but that was decided a long time ago, I think on the previous board).
For the Okuni class, I believe I set the catapult (2x) at 10 tons and the crane (1x) at 15 tons for a total of 35 tons.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Feb 23rd 2008, 2:46pm)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 7:07pm

Roo's version is what I recall.
So for 1 aircraft + cat+ crane I'm putting aside 50 tons.

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 9:02pm

That is also my recollection of the rules governing seaplanes.

Sunday, February 24th 2008, 12:34am

Add to design rules post?