You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:18pm

Petrograd Post, 19 July 1935

Naval Staff announced today that 3rd Battle Squadron, comprising battleships Imperator Petr Veliki, Veliki Kniaz Dimitrii Donskoi, Veliki Kniaz Aleksandr Nevskii, and Veliki Kniaz Yaroslav Medniy will make a port visit to Byzantium this coming September, as their last excursion on the World Ocean before they enter drydock for an extensive refit. Purpose of port visit is explained in following press release of Russian Federation Naval Staff:

"We announce today that twenty four 381mm/52 guns, six quadruple turrets, and a supply of 381mm ammunition has been sold to Byzantine government for coast defense purposes. Concrete emplacements for these weapons have been under construction there for some time. To deliver them, Russian 3rd Battle Squadron will visit Byzantium prior to entering drydock, and six of their turrets will remain in Byzantium when 3rd Battle Squadron steams to Tallinn for their refit."

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:20pm

Does Byzantium have the means to move quadruple 15" turrets from the ships to their destinations?

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:24pm

Some disassembly required...

Technical assistance is just a telegraph message away, or aboard the ships themselves.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "AdmKuznetsov" (Feb 15th 2008, 8:25pm)

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:25pm

Hey how come they get free stuff? *pouts* :P

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Desertfox" (Feb 15th 2008, 8:26pm)

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:32pm

Russian Naval Staff:

"Hm. We will soon have lots of spare naval rifles for coast defense. Where to put them....

Hm. Black Sea defenses are deficient. What if a big navy gets there, it's 1856 all over again. And Black Sea coastline is pretty long...

Now, if we could keep big navies out of Black Sea, present defenses are more than adequate...

Let them try to force a passage through that! "

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:38pm

Given recent events, the timing of the purchase seems to have been just right, having been arranged long before the events in Lithuania.

Construction of the concrete structures was to have begun in the early spring, they just haven't made it into the news due to lack of time and focus on other issues.

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:47pm

Well Wes,

You did put them into your quarterly reports for Byzantium.

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:49pm

Or we just dismantle my ships and send them overland. Try stopping it then

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:52pm

It would help to build a Kotor-Constanta rail line first...

RosPoezd has experience building railroads in mountainous terrain!

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "AdmKuznetsov" (Feb 15th 2008, 8:56pm)

Friday, February 15th 2008, 8:54pm

Well then we shall build a rail line

The BB isn't supposed to be completed till 1937, so ive got time.

Friday, February 15th 2008, 9:04pm

Heh, it will take longer to disassemble, ship overland and reassemble than it did to build the damn thing. I won't even go into the cost or logic of such an undertaking.....

Suffice it to say the Persians are already on the Turks $hit list but at least they don't have to deal with a clearly superior Turkish navy and a very narrow and treacherous straight. If the Romanians signed themselves up on that list, they would.

Friday, February 15th 2008, 9:12pm

Not trying to get on the Turkish $hit list, but I do need to get my BB home, someway or another. And im merely responding to your statement on closing the straits, which it seems was in response to my warning to Russia. Let me clarify something. So long as the Russians behave, then ill behave, (not like I can do much but the thought is there).

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Feb 15th 2008, 9:16pm)

Friday, February 15th 2008, 9:22pm

Slap some tracks underneath your ships so you can drive your battleship across land. :)

Quoted

Suffice it to say the Persians are already on the Turks $hit list but at least they don't have to deal with a clearly superior Turkish navy and a very narrow and treacherous straight. If the Romanians signed themselves up on that list, they would.

I wonder where Japan would end up if they were to send Ambassador Chimama to Turkey...

The 381mm guns in combination with lots of mines would make it virtually impossible for an agressor to get through the Bosphorus. I would assume that the mining strategy to be used would be Russian (i.e. enough mines in the Bosphorus so one can walk from Europe to Asia without getting wet feet).

Friday, February 15th 2008, 9:36pm

There's already enough mines to cross continents without getting wet feet. Now if Byzantine and Turkey went at it...

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 11:47am

You'd better hope that there isn't much in the way of weather when those ships are steaming back to Tallinn. With all that weight removed stability might be questionable. You'd be much better off just taking the turrets off in drydock and putting them on a big freighter as deck cargo.

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 11:51am

Quoted

Now, if we could keep big navies out of Black Sea, present defenses are more than adequate...

but Russia has just given another power control over the Black Sea's sphincter.

Cheers,

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 11:51am

Alternatively, they could put a bunch of deck cargo on the battleships after the turrets get pulled off.

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 12:02pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Alternatively, they could put a bunch of deck cargo on the battleships after the turrets get pulled off.

8000tons of concrete per ship is quite a lot.

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 12:08pm

True, but it's an option. Or 8000 tons of pig iron would be another alternative, or maybe 8000 tons of marble for a re-building of some of the Tsarist palaces?

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 1:37pm

How about 8000 tons of feathers?

..oh and power over the sphincter of the Black sea really hasn't changed, its still in the hands of the Turks and the Atlanteans, much to the benifit of the Russians. So basically no change really.