You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 10:33pm

Foreign Minister Stressemann nods with some relief that it appears that things MAY, at long last, be moving in the direction of a cease-fire.

"Germany can certainly supply an infantry regiment, and I'm told that the Heer has suggested that a reconnaissance battalion might be useful to the force, as it would give the force some armored cars. As to von Manstein as commander, I will have to check with the Heer to find out his status for this role." He speaks to an aide, who leaves the building and heads for the German embassy.

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 10:42pm

OOC: Erich von Manstein became "Chief 1st Section General Staff" effective July 1 '35... so assuming that's still as historic, he has been in a new job less than a month.

If we're looking for a French commander, Jules-Philippe-Octave Decamp might be a good choice. He was "Commanding Officer Sub-Division Lyon" from '35-'37 and then became Assistant Chief of the Cabinet, Ministry of National Defence & War for France. So he might be a good administrator *and* commander.

English, suggest Sir Bertrand Moberly, who in OTL was a district commander in India...

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 11:04pm

Viscount Ishii Kikujiro spoke:
"Japan could send some units, but I agree with my British colleague that the LoN force should be made up of European troops and non-European units be used when there really is no other choice."

OOC: Japan could send Manzo... or worse... Ambassador Chimama. :D

Monday, February 18th 2008, 12:14am

Turkey can offer the services of General Kazim Orbay or General Fevzi Çakmak as force Commander.

Monday, February 18th 2008, 2:17am

Bernotas hastily scribbled notes as he listened to the delegates exchanges.

Hm . Bernotas thought as he looked over his notes. So far the provisional task force will have the following potential contingents .

1) Belgien units: 2 infantry battalions, 1 cavalry regiment
2) German units: 1 infantry regiment, 1 reconnaissance battalion
3) Bulgarian units: 2 infantry battalion + a supply battalion

Very definitely a good start . Bernotas thought quietly. Now the commander is going to be a sticking point, A German, a French and two Turkish general officers have been put forward for consideration so far.

Now, the Germans and Bulgarians might not object to a German officer as senior man, the Belgians given there past experiences with Germany, will probably be not to keen on the idea. Heavens only knows how they will react to a Turk, although a Frenchman would probably be acceptable to them, or even the other contingents as well. Bernotas mused thoughtfully. Still Erich von Manstein could serve in a chief-of-staff capacity with the task force, German officers were generally well trained for that sort of thing and it would likely be acceptable solution to Belgium.

Bernotas continued to work on his notes, he briefly wondered if the Insurrectionists had made up their mind on accepting the cease-fire, or at least to acknowledge and reciprocate the Lithuanian Government's halt orders.

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Agent148" (Feb 18th 2008, 2:20am)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, February 18th 2008, 2:23am

Quoted

Originally posted by Agent148
the Belgians given there past experiences with Germany, will probably be not to keen on the idea.

ooc: at the time, English, French, German, and Nordmark had been mentioned for possible commanders. Belgium listed three as acceptable, guess which one was not included?

Monday, February 18th 2008, 2:30am

Canada volunteers an RCMP detachment to serve as Constabulary

Monday, February 18th 2008, 2:58am

OOC: true English, German, French and Nordish were mentioned as possible commanders of the Task Force to Wilno, but only a German and a French officer have actually been named so far (excepting the two Turkish officers). And yes I gathered that a German commander for the task force would be unpopular with the Belgien contingent.

Monday, February 18th 2008, 3:06am

OOC: I think it depends upon the final composition of the force. I selected a German because they are a strong military power, with good organizational skills, and were likely to provide one of the biggest contingents to the force. A German officer would also be more palatable to the Polish and Wilno...ers than a Frenchman or Englishman.

I think the senior officer should belong to one of the nations sending larger contingents, which is why Bulgaria did not propose a Bulgarian officer.

Monday, February 18th 2008, 3:35am

So both Turkish officers, both of which were historical commanders (Mustafa Fevzi Çakmak along with Mustafa Kemel Ataturk historically became feild Marshals in the war of independance with Greece), are being quietly overlooked?

I suppose the Nay vote following the bickering fest would have something to do with it.

Monday, February 18th 2008, 3:38am

Bulgaria would have no problem with it... we're allies after all. :P

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 12:24am

Bernotas suddenly noticed the doors of the chamber, move slightly ajar. He quietly but firmly surpressed a groan as he saw, Ambassador Tarkowski slip into the room.

He's persistant I'll give him that, and I suppose I and the rest of the League will have to accept him as a necessary evil , Bernotas thought sourly. On the other hand, it might be wise to have a word with certain people to see if anything can be done about him.

Kaiser Kirk

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 12:50am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
So both Turkish officers, both of which were historical commanders (Mustafa Fevzi Çakmak along with Mustafa Kemel Ataturk historically became feild Marshals in the war of independance with Greece), are being quietly overlooked?

Actually, either would be acceptable to the Belgians. Which means they are willing to serve under French, English, Nordish, or Turkish officers- quite egalitarian.

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 12:54am

Nor does Lithuania have any problem with the two named turkish officers as nominees for the position of task force commander. So long as somebody is chosen to command the LoN troops assigned to maintain the cease-fire.

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 2:22am

Quoted

On the other hand, it might be wise to have a word with certain people to see if anything can be done about him.

Last I heard, the Siamese still had that elephant available for special occasions.

Kaiser Kirk

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 2:25am

Gaston François Marie, Viscount Eyskens, Belgian delegate :

My government has instructed me to suggest that the League select the Turkish General Orbay for command of the League force. General Orbay has a long and distinguished career in a variety of roles, both as a field commander and staff officer.

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 2:48am

Foreign Minister Stressemann:

"My government has no objections to General Orbay.."

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 3:39am

Bernotas considered the matter at length, then nodded to himself.

"Gentlemen, if there are no further objections from the other delegates, I would like to second, Vicomte Eyskens's nomination of General Orbay, for the post of commander of the LoN Task Force. This is providing of course the Turkish military can be prevailed upon to detach him from duty to accept the position."

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 3:53am

French FM Laval...

General Orbay is fully acceptable to the French government.

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 4:15am

Bulgaria finds General Orbay acceptable as well.