You are not logged in.

Thursday, February 14th 2008, 5:02pm

ok I realise TS isnt ideal but its what we have, can any of the more experianced players offer me advice on how to increase weight without increasing armor?

I want to stay at 21 tons, but since everyone thinks my armor is to heavy id like to reduce it a little (but maintain the ability to add extra armor and a larger gun (75mm anyone) in the future without loosing any speed. Advice?

Thursday, February 14th 2008, 5:07pm

I am not an old player but I know that TS underestimates weight of engine and transmission weights for this time period (compared to power output)

Thursday, February 14th 2008, 5:35pm

Lighter is better in pretty much every application.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Feb 14th 2008, 5:35pm)

Thursday, February 14th 2008, 6:05pm

A couple things to look at:

1 - how much recoil distance are you allowing for your main gun? A shorter distance will be easier to deal with in the confines of a turret, and it will increase the weight.

2 - In TS 0.71, I think the author made an error in the calculations he's using for road wheel weight. He's multiplying the volume of the cylinder of the road wheel (since most road wheels are not solid cylinders) by 0.00168. The result, obviously, is quite light road wheels, even for the steel road wheels used during this period. I'm not quite sure, yet, what the 0.00168 should be replaced with, though.

3 - Be sure to check that the top of your vehicle (shown at the top of the Hull Design page) is wide enough for your turret.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 4:15am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
3 - Be sure to check that the top of your vehicle (shown at the top of the Hull Design page) is wide enough for your turret.

Also, as a general matter, the hull needs to be wider than the turret ring. I looked up a bunch of hull widths and turret rings a while back. Unfortunately I don't recall my conclusion with confidence, it was something like turret ring no more than 2/3 of hull width.

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 4:46am

IIRC TS also always assumes that you have a turretbasket

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 11:48am

Kind of. If you don't put in a basket depth, it doesn't generate allocate space for the basket in the hull and give that space to the turret. If you're designing a tank without a turret basket, just don't give it any depth (I've done that with a number of TS designs I've done).