You are not logged in.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, January 17th 2008, 3:19am

I don't get the Traebuk.

If it's direct fire, I doubt it would stand up to counterfire well. If it's indirect, a howizter would be a cheaper option.

For direct fire, with the narrows, wouldn't fixed coastal artillery be quite capable, cheaper and better fortified?

For indirect, a battery of railroad gun could be both mobile, more certain of their position, and individually more powerful.

That said, it looks like an Wespe with an M40's spade- but both of those are 1940s vehicles.

Thursday, January 17th 2008, 2:21pm

To me, it looks more like a Nashorn, with the long unbraked gun, than a Wespe.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, January 17th 2008, 5:25pm

I went looking at some example SP guns trying to find something simular, and when a spade was portrayed. Nashorns were AT, so I discounted them :)

Generally you see howitzers first (due to guns higher recoil and weight) tractor/truck drawn, then mounted on existing tractors/trucks. Then you get purpose built and experience leads to crew shelters. If the M40 155mm SPG was a 42 ton vehicle, this one is likely north of 30tons, an expensive heavyweight contender.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Jan 17th 2008, 5:29pm)

Thursday, January 17th 2008, 6:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
If the M40 155mm SPG was a 42 ton vehicle, this one is likely north of 30tons, an expensive heavyweight contender.

The M12 was about 26tons with a 155mm gun. It'll still be pretty heavy compared to the Bille. Maybe putting on about 10tons of weight.

Thursday, January 17th 2008, 6:06pm

Or base it on the Gothia Works Legionnaire Medium Tank, about to enter production for Chile

Weight 24tons
Length 6.21m
Width 2.34m
Height 2.58m
Crew 4
Engine 1x GWM STD-380, 380 Hp V-8 Diesel

Performance 42km/h
Armament 75mm L26 Cannon
3x~ 8mm MG
Suspension Horstmann suspension
Operational
range 200 km
Armor: 15-50mm

Friday, January 18th 2008, 12:31am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
I don't get the Traebuk.

Allow me to try to "get it" for you.

Quoted

If it's direct fire, I doubt it would stand up to counterfire well. If it's indirect, a howizter would be a cheaper option.

No mobile unit would stand up to naval fire, thats a given. What I wanted was a unit that the enemy would not be able to target, due to not knowing where they were, (Think of the Russian mobile missle launchers, and the nightmares that they gave NATO planners, remember the Scuds in GW1?) They would cause difficulties for any advancing force as a result.

Quoted

For direct fire, with the narrows, wouldn't fixed coastal artillery be quite capable, cheaper and better fortified?

Yes, and that is where the larger guns and torpedo systems are, but they are still very obvious and easily targeted from long range

Quoted

For indirect, a battery of railroad gun could be both mobile, more certain of their position, and individually more powerful.

You beeing looking at my news summary for 1935??

Quoted

That said, it looks like an Wespe with an M40's spade- but both of those are 1940s vehicles.

Show me another way to mount a big gun on a moblie chassis that won't look like anything from the 30's / 40's.
It's design is driven (and constrained) by what it is being asked to do.

Friday, January 18th 2008, 5:16am

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
Show me another way to mount a big gun on a moblie chassis that won't look like anything from the 30's / 40's.
It's design is driven (and constrained) by what it is being asked to do.

This Atlantean design is based on the French 194 mle GPF gun. Instead of a spade to "Club" like devices swung down from the rear (acttually the font asthe gun is mounted facing aft) of the vehicle, not exactly a spade.

Below is a design based on a British vehicle with a long wheel base and no spades. It does however have a set of wheels at the rear. The gun is designed to be removed from the chassis and the gun's wheels are attached.

Saturday, January 19th 2008, 12:39am

They is just UGLY!!!!!!!

Wes, are you seriously asking a Danish designer to put his name to that design?????

I'm sure that they'd rather poke their eyes out!!!

Saturday, January 19th 2008, 1:51am

There is ugly and there is effective. If it is effective, looks matter not.

Saturday, January 19th 2008, 2:34am

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
They is just UGLY!!!!!!!

Wes, are you seriously asking a Danish designer to put his name to that design?????

I'm sure that they'd rather poke their eyes out!!!

Oh hell no! I was just siting a few examples of early self propelled artillery peices.

Quoted

Originally posted by Ithekro
There is ugly and there is effective. If it is effective, looks matter not.

As Ithekro stated, form over function! You'll notice thats why the latter design has been turned into mobile heavy lift vehicles, detaching the wheels from an artillery peice each and every time you use it takes up considerable time not to mention the sheer size of the beast. Personally I think they are kinda neat.

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 6:38pm

Persia is interested in the Danish APC program, would it be possible to have them demonstrated in Persia?

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 10:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Persia is interested in the Danish APC program, would it be possible to have them demonstrated in Persia?

The first units to be based in Danish Somalia are due to be delivered early in 1935 (1935 news catch-up due soon!),
and a deligation of Persian Military Officers is welcome to observe the vehicles.

As with the previous Bille tank, Danish designers were instructed to incorporate desert capabilities as a prerequisite of the vehicles.

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 10:42pm

A delegation will be dispatched even if we would have preferred to have them & Billie displayed in TAEX