You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 2:46pm

War? Havana Talks? Q2?

Are we ready to do anything?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Aug 22nd 2007, 2:46pm)

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 2:57pm

In my case waiting for the events in South America to post Peru's reaction in Q1;waiting for the Czech response in Poland and waiting for the talks in Havana to start.

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 3:34pm

Me and Hoo have sorted out Q4 but we have only very embroynic ideas at present for Q1!

Can we wait a week or two?

I'm waiitng for the Iberian talks to start as well.

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 3:46pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Me and Hoo have sorted out Q4 but we have only very embroynic ideas at present for Q1!

Can we wait a week or two?

I'm waiitng for the Iberian talks to start as well.

But a war in South America will affect the conversations in Havana. The events between South Africa and Argentina are the main news so far and it should have worldwide effects.

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 4:01pm

I suppose it depends on when the Santiago de Cuba conference was supposed to be held.

Of course, the rest of the world is also waiting to hear from the UK and Japan, amongst others, on what the failure in San Francisco means in the big picture.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Aug 22nd 2007, 4:03pm)

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 4:38pm

I have a few quarters to post before I'm caught up completely. As for the Cuba talks I think we are waiting for RAM's lead on that.

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 5:55pm

Quoted

Of course, the rest of the world is also waiting to hear from the UK and Japan, amongst others, on what the failure in San Francisco means in the big picture.

If the world is waiting for Japan to explain what the failure in San Francisco means in the big picture, then they will be waiting for a long, long time as all that information is highly classified (although the only reason that it is classified is because of The Block (tm)).

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 6:06pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10

Quoted

If the world is waiting for Japan to explain what the failure in San Francisco means in the big picture, then they will be waiting for a long, long time as all that information is highly classified (although the only reason that it is classified is because of The Block (tm)).

What, Japan has had an outbreak of El Derretir? :)

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 9:50pm

I'm waiting on an answer from RAM on something. It seems he's overlooked my PM about it, tho.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 11:25pm

I only have a couple Q1 blurbs thought out yet, but I have not posted as I'm paying attention to the evolving situation in South America.

Likewise, I will be present at the Havana talks....maybe. I'm off to Ireland next week on vacation, and so my available time will decline further, though I hope for at least intermittant access- I posted a couple times from eastern Europe last year :)

Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 12:48am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
I'm waiting on an answer from RAM on something. It seems he's overlooked my PM about it, tho.

OOOOPS...yah...must have missed it...will take a look right now.

About La Habana talks...well, I posted a thread some time ago about it and got little response...was waiting for everyone to be ready and/or getting a sub-forum ready for it...

Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 1:56am

Last time I tried to set up a sub forum I didn't do so well, Hoo help!

Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 3:13am

Maybe I should point out that by treaty Chile would need to be involved with Argentina and Brazil if they go to war with an outside power. While I can't see Chilean troops marching into Paraguay, I can see the Armies in Bolivia and Chile moving to form defensive lines in the Gran Chaco in case of any aggressive moves west. The Navy however many have a lot to do. At minimum keep the Straits of Magellen safe. At worst, testing the more or less untried post-1925 Chilean warship designs in combat with something other than pirates.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ithekro" (Aug 23rd 2007, 3:14am)

Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 4:14am

glad my nation isn't in south america.

Kaiser Kirk

Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 11:21pm

From the Dutch perspective, we supply SAE with oil, so there may be Royal Dutch & Shell tankers involved, in addition to normal trade. A war may see Dutch flagged merchants attacked*, which we would take very seriously. Then there's always the possibility that SAE may ask for aid.

All of which may influence the Netherlands Q4, Q1-2 News.

Hmm, I probably should have specified if the Kongo Brigade had left Bolivia yet. Probably would in early Q4 to avoid chance of snows closing the railroad through Peru.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Aug 23rd 2007, 11:24pm)

Friday, August 24th 2007, 3:28pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
From the Dutch perspective, we supply SAE with oil, so there may be Royal Dutch & Shell tankers involved, in addition to normal trade. A war may see Dutch flagged merchants attacked*, which we would take very seriously. Then there's always the possibility that SAE may ask for aid.

All of which may influence the Netherlands Q4, Q1-2 News.

Hmm, I probably should have specified if the Kongo Brigade had left Bolivia yet. Probably would in early Q4 to avoid chance of snows closing the railroad through Peru.

IIRC majority of the oil being shipped is coming from the Dutch Indies so it should be no problem. I don't know if Shell have facilities in Aruba in WW as they did IOTL. But I tend to agree that due to the close relationship between the Kongo and South Africa is for their best interest to move that brigade out of harms way, just to be in the safe side.

Friday, August 24th 2007, 4:10pm

Aruba is Atlantean territory, not sure if the Netherlands would have facility's there that haven't been nationalized eons ago.

Kaiser Kirk

Friday, August 24th 2007, 5:21pm

I have no idea if the various lost Carribean territories were ever Dutch flagged. There is no history of hostilities between the Netherlands and Atlantis, so I don't know when they would have transfered if they ever did.

The Aruba facilities were for processing Venezualian oil, and likely never were built in Wesworld unless Shell helped develop those fields.

As for the East Indies oil, if a tanker making for a SAE port in South America develops a torpedo sized hole, there is a problem. Further SAE has access to the Dutch trade network, so I'd presume there would also be Dutch traders at risk.

Edit: Under the secret clauses of SANTA, the Dutch could also be called on to lend support.

As for the Kongo force in Bolivia- let's presume it pulled out in early November. It would be reasonable to expect the Bolivians to have been able to take over civil responsibilities by then- it would certainly be a priority for them to get the internationals to leave their nation.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Aug 24th 2007, 5:36pm)

Friday, August 24th 2007, 9:09pm

What about Dutch Guyana, where there facility's there as well?

Kaiser Kirk

Friday, August 24th 2007, 11:38pm

I did a little reading on Dutch Guiana, as I recall, the oil is mostly offshore post 1960s or so. There is believed to be on-shore oil, but the poor domestic politics are discouraging folks from trying to really develop it. I do not recall clearly, but Aruba may have been the refining point for the Guiana oil as well. I'd have to look it up through.

In Wesworld, we seem to have lots of ahistorical oil developement by nations, but I have not advanced Dutch Guiana that way. Thought about it...