You are not logged in.

Friday, October 17th 2003, 9:57pm

Sim Pace

Although I'm enjoying the storytelling and detail people are bringing to the sim, I wonder if we could pick up the pace a bit.

Months ago we had talked about doing six sim-years in a real year, but the last several weeks we've been doing things almost in real-time. My Indian construction planning is so far ahead of the current quarter that I'm now doing make-work projects like mapping out the army. The quantity and content of posts over the past week suggests some of you are probably in the same position.

Can we endeavour to finish off Q3 by the end of the month, and then punch through Q4 and the first half of 1922 by Christmas? I assume that our current Nordmark/Argentina storyline will be largely concluded by Q4, and anybody planning something else major has time to have it all prepared in advance...

Thoughts?

J

Friday, October 17th 2003, 10:12pm

I also am enjoying the storylines and am trying (and failing) to work out what every body is up to. We are however getting a little slow and picking up the pace would be welcome. I have things planned over the next few years but i have plenty of time to work things out beforehand.

Saturday, October 18th 2003, 1:57am

pace

Well like rock doctor said I'm looking for make work projects too like finnishing my fleet list and posting where they are. Either way I'm happy but for everyones benifit I'll stand in the "move along" camp.

Saturday, October 18th 2003, 2:42am

I am working on things, but the last week and half those things have by necessity had to be school-projects and not sim-related matters (anybody willing to move here at their own expense and take over some DFD-tasks for free? They're making my head spin!), and I just had to take on 20% extra credits this semester, having to play two months of catch-up in those credits - thankfully they're easy credits in something I know well, but they still generate a need to write a lot. A deadline for Q3 by the end of the month may be hard to achieve for me.

I have some news-things in partial completion, and hope to be able to post some things this weekend. The two immediately hard things to write will be the presentation of evidence (July 10), and the royal funeral (July 25th).

To give you an idea of what is coming, the next few days of July will reveal: just why Argentine-Danish relations are breaking apart; a surprising fact concerning who has been arrested (and a tragic consequence); US/UK, Argentine and Chilean statements on the conflict; a South-American summit of nations impolitely ignoring large powers' invitations to other summits; whether or not Nordmark has a king; and mad women with handbags.

After the Royal funeral, there will be relative quiet for quite some time - it is a long way from Nordmark to the Sotuh Atlantic; when Britain responded to the Argentine invasion of the Falklands in 1981, it took IIRC a month and a half until they arrived and could begin doing things - many ships in 1921 move more slowly, and so it can be expected to take much longer - don't expect anything to happen until late August/early September, even if Nordmark begins sailing in early July.

I am not presently planning on having much drama happen between the Royal Funeral and that time, so hopefully a skip ahead can be done. The coronation whoever is the actual new king of Nordmark isn't due until June 22nd 1922, a year and a day after the death of Gustav V, and also the planned day for a victory parade; plans are already made for bringing back a piece of the first stone touched on South Georgia by the landing Nordmark forces, have it cut and polished, and set in the King's Crown.

Saturday, October 18th 2003, 9:30pm

It all sounds very intriguing, and I'm glad to hear that the Feminists for South Georgia will be back.

Can I ask what DFD is?

Saturday, October 18th 2003, 9:39pm

Data Flow Diagram. We are having a project which counts 1/3 of the semester's grade, and have completed the pre-project, and are completing the part about user-requirements. Unfortunately, the users are all fictive, so we have to make up requirements as we go, we are not getting feedback on earlier handed in parts, and are having to skip the lectures where we are taught how to do things in order to have time to do them (not to mention getting hold of a computer onwhich to do them) - I have so far received 45 minutes of lecture on how to do DFDs, and the only printed material available to us are seven PowerPoint slides. Am not fully optimistic about this project.

Monday, October 20th 2003, 12:50pm

ambitious

Hi Peng

this does sound very intriguing indeed, but the concerns about the pace of the sim are there. Is the there any chance you can spread your stuff out a bit, so we can move forward? I do appreciate your RL concerns but somehow ambition and reality have to match .... Can any of us think of a way of making this more manageable for Peng - because the storyline _is_ cool!

Bernhard

Saturday, October 25th 2003, 10:03pm

hmm, with the armada assembling and expected in south georgia in 2 months'time is there any reason not to accelerate the pace again a bit?

cheers

Bernhard

Saturday, October 25th 2003, 10:26pm

I have a number of newsitems that go through July 11th, and then there is the fuenral of the 25th - there is nothing more planned between that and the arrival and initiation of action in the south

Saturday, October 25th 2003, 11:53pm

thanks for the update