You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 8:31pm

Jane's WWI

How much is a Jane's Warships of WWI worth? I found one in really good condition at the local bookstore for $15 US Dollars and was wondering if it was worth it.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:00pm

If it's that titanic inch-and-a-half tome, I got it for around $30 Canadian a few years back. Whether or not all the data is accurate, I think it's definitely worth the price.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:18pm

I seem to recall paying something similar, its a steal if you can find a copy. I'd say its worth it, plenty of info thats seems to be for the most part accurate. I got lucky and also found Janes aircraft of WW1.

One discrepency I've noticed however is that the line drawings of the Indefaticable/Invincible class ships have been swapped, though the pictures for each are correct.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:35pm

It has been a while so I can't remember how much I paid for the book. Either paid 20 or 25 Euros each for the WW1 aircraft and fighting ship books. Surplus books BTW, so they were new when I bought them.
... and there is no need for me to repeat that what Wes and Rocky already stated regarding buying that book. :)

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:41pm

Theres a reason it's nickname is Jane's Frightening Slips. It'll give lots of pictures, a run down of smaller ships that don't usually get mentioned, and some rather poor drawings.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:42pm

Thanks! Now gotta buy it before someone else get's it!

I'm a soon to be college student so every penny counts!

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:49pm

Quoted

Thanks! Now gotta buy it before someone else get's it!

Sometimes you're lucky. Sometimes you're not.

Quoted

I'm a soon to be college student so every penny counts!

So what if you spend a few more pennies on a book? That'll just mean that you will have a few pennies less for food. So you might starve for a few days, but at least you will have the book. :D

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 10:03pm

Quoted

So what if you spend a few more pennies on a book? That'll just mean that you will have a few pennies less for food. So you might starve for a few days, but at least you will have the book.

The book is more useful. You can eat the pages or burn them for warmth. :)

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 10:24pm

Mmmmmmmm, Fiber.

Monday, June 4th 2007, 12:31am

Quoted

The book is more useful. You can eat the pages or burn them for warmth. :)

There's also a third use, of course, the one zillions of Sears & Roebuck catalogs gave their lives bravely for... :D

Friday, November 14th 2008, 9:20pm

RE: Jane's WWI

It's always interesting to view the Jane's entries for old ships. However, as a technical guide, it's a poor choice. (There's a reason it's called Jane's Frightening Slips.) As an alternative to the Jane's Fighting Ships of World War I volume, a reprint of the 1914 annual includes a larger number of entries plus the advertisements, shipyard lists, and other supplementary material which may be the most valuable portion of the book.