You are not logged in.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 8:31pm

Jane's WWI

How much is a Jane's Warships of WWI worth? I found one in really good condition at the local bookstore for $15 US Dollars and was wondering if it was worth it.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:00pm

If it's that titanic inch-and-a-half tome, I got it for around $30 Canadian a few years back. Whether or not all the data is accurate, I think it's definitely worth the price.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:18pm

I seem to recall paying something similar, its a steal if you can find a copy. I'd say its worth it, plenty of info thats seems to be for the most part accurate. I got lucky and also found Janes aircraft of WW1.

One discrepency I've noticed however is that the line drawings of the Indefaticable/Invincible class ships have been swapped, though the pictures for each are correct.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:35pm

It has been a while so I can't remember how much I paid for the book. Either paid 20 or 25 Euros each for the WW1 aircraft and fighting ship books. Surplus books BTW, so they were new when I bought them.
... and there is no need for me to repeat that what Wes and Rocky already stated regarding buying that book. :)

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:41pm

Theres a reason it's nickname is Jane's Frightening Slips. It'll give lots of pictures, a run down of smaller ships that don't usually get mentioned, and some rather poor drawings.

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:42pm

Thanks! Now gotta buy it before someone else get's it!

I'm a soon to be college student so every penny counts!

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:49pm

Quoted

Thanks! Now gotta buy it before someone else get's it!

Sometimes you're lucky. Sometimes you're not.

Quoted

I'm a soon to be college student so every penny counts!

So what if you spend a few more pennies on a book? That'll just mean that you will have a few pennies less for food. So you might starve for a few days, but at least you will have the book. :D

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 10:03pm

Quoted

So what if you spend a few more pennies on a book? That'll just mean that you will have a few pennies less for food. So you might starve for a few days, but at least you will have the book.

The book is more useful. You can eat the pages or burn them for warmth. :)

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 10:24pm

Mmmmmmmm, Fiber.

Monday, June 4th 2007, 12:31am

Quoted

The book is more useful. You can eat the pages or burn them for warmth. :)

There's also a third use, of course, the one zillions of Sears & Roebuck catalogs gave their lives bravely for... :D

Friday, November 14th 2008, 9:20pm

RE: Jane's WWI

It's always interesting to view the Jane's entries for old ships. However, as a technical guide, it's a poor choice. (There's a reason it's called Jane's Frightening Slips.) As an alternative to the Jane's Fighting Ships of World War I volume, a reprint of the 1914 annual includes a larger number of entries plus the advertisements, shipyard lists, and other supplementary material which may be the most valuable portion of the book.