You are not logged in.

Saturday, April 28th 2007, 8:12pm

Peru's News and Events Q3/1934

Excerpts of Ricardo Arjona's personal diary

July 1st 1934- My decision to use the cavalry regiments to create new antiaircraft battalions for the infantry regiments seems to be the last straw for some in the cavalry officer corps. My informants in the regiments have reported subversive talks between some of the older officers and now the younger ones (1) are joining the subversives.

July 8th 1934- Members of the 4th and 5th Cavalry Regiment send me a letter asking me to recapacite my decision in what they call "for the good of the service." Looking at the numbers it could make more sense to use the newly raised infantry regiments to build the battalions but making this change now could be seeing by many as a sign of weakness.

July 18th 1934- I have met with the different branches(2) in the last couple of days and I have discussed the situation in regard to the antiaircraft units. I have made my mind up but announcing the turn around I desire will make me look weak.

July 21st 1934- Preparations are being made for the withdraw of the bulk of our remaing forces in Bolivia. A small force wil be left in La Paz until the treaty is signed but pretty much our presence in Bolivia could be considered a closed chapter.

(1) the graduates of the Peruvian Cavalry School created by him.

(2) with the commanders of the different branches of the Peruvian Army.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Apr 28th 2007, 8:13pm)

Monday, April 30th 2007, 2:03am

July 24th 1934- Navy Minister De la Garza read the reports with relief for the first time in a while. "We have turned the corner and we are in our way." He smiled while thinking that, with money finally being available for the contruction of new destroyers and submarines by the end of the year.

"I hope the mission we sent to Germany reach an agreement to build their designs locally. It will make it easier for us." He shook his head and smiled again, opening them the folder with the progress report of the cruiser laid down in Iberia; "I guess we will call it Almirante Grau. Yes, it will suit it fine."

Monday, April 30th 2007, 1:44pm

July 29th 1934- Reports from Bogota seems to indicate the Dutch proposal to resolve the Santa Cruz issue has been agreed by both the Brazilian and our own delegations and the possibility of a treaty been signed soon is now a reality.

August 1st 1934- The Ministry of the Navy informed today that the Kingdom of South Africa is ready to deliver the first of the dreadnaughts purchased from them and in the next couple of days the ship could leave port for Peruvian waters.

Thursday, May 3rd 2007, 1:07am

August 5th 1934- The Iberian Mountain Brigade, now based permanently near Cuzco, sponsored a festival last week in the village near their base. The locals found the gesture as one of good will but a side effect noted by this reporter of the presence of the Iberians in the region since last year has being the rising number of children born with lighter skin tones than the ones normal for the local population.

August 7th 1934- The Independent Tank Battalion (1) has being permanently stationed in Tacna. The move has being applauded by sectors of the Army as a way to ensure the new borders are better protected. The bulk of the movement will be completed by the middle of the month and made official by the end of it.

Aug 10th 1934- News from South Africa report the battleship Atahualpa departed that nation and is on the way to Peruvian waters. Still is not know when the ship will arrive to our nation due to secrecy.

(1) the battalion with used Nordmark tanks.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (May 3rd 2007, 1:08am)

Friday, May 4th 2007, 12:10am

August 16th 1934- It was announced today the demobilization of the 10th and 11th Artillery Regiments, together with the 9th and 10th Sapper Battalions effective by the end of the month. The move was explained as "a sign to our neighbors of our peaceful intentions. With the end of full scale hostilities the need for those troops in active duty doesn't exist anymore."

It was also stated the possibility of a reduction of the number of active infantry regiments and a reorganization of the cavalry ones could be in the plans of the Ministry of War.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (May 4th 2007, 12:15am)

Sunday, May 6th 2007, 4:31pm

August 21st 1934- It has being reported from Bogota that an agreement has finally being reached in the peace talks to end the Andean War. Terms are not disclosed at this time but Minister de La Guarda stated that "peace has being achieved and a final treaty should be ratified very soon. It's not the peace we would have wanted but it's the one we got and we should try to live by it."

When asked if possible to give more details his response was "the Atlantean, Dutch and Colombian host were more than impecable in their treatment of our delegation and their actions will be remembered by our diplomatic corps for many years to come." It has to be noted the non-mention of the actions of the Chilean and Brazilian delegations.

Thursday, May 10th 2007, 1:25am

August 30th 1934- The last of our troops returned today to our territory, ending the occupation of Bolivia and turning over the administration of La Paz to the League of Nations and the civilian government on the city. The ceremony was a very somber and simple one, with General Arturo Sandoval leaving the former Presidential Palace while saluting the Bolivian flag and turning over the building to members of the Provisional Bolivian government and to the American Geiger(1).

Contrary to our allies in the war, Peru didn't acquired any territorial concessions(2) with only their desire for peace leading them to join to end the war. Now this chapter is over and the time for peace is at hand.

September 4th 1934- The Ministry of the Navy announced Minister de La Garza has being invited by the Iberian nation to travel with them to the San Francisco Conference as an observer on their delegation. A spokesman for the the Ministry stated the Minister will travel by aircraft to Panama, followed later by air travel to Cuba and them to the United States.

September 10th 1934- The Ministry of the Navy announced today a deal has being reached with Italy for the purchase of 36 SM79 torpedo bombers. The complete order is expected to be delivered by the middle of 1935.

(1) notice the derogatory way Geiger is mentioned, with no rank used.

(2) except if you don't count getting Tacna from Chile. ;)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (May 10th 2007, 1:26am)

Saturday, May 12th 2007, 2:34pm

September 1st 1934- The dreadnaught Atahualpa entered the port of Callao today and was received in a ceremony attended by the President himself. Also attending were the Minister of the Navy, the South African ambassador and the Iberian ambassador.

While the President speech was very short(1) the ones by both the Minister of the Navy and the South African ambassador mentioned the good commercial relationship between both our nations and the hope that it will continue into the future.

The ceremony ended with a reception in the ship itself only for the VIP's attending the ceremony.

(1) remember the President is a puppet of the Ministers of the Navy, the Army and the Foreign Minister. Not a lot is allowed to say.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (May 12th 2007, 2:35pm)

Saturday, May 19th 2007, 11:22pm

September 19th 1934- It has being announced today a treaty was signed in Bogota ending the Andean War. The text is not know at this time but reports coming from Bogota state Chile gained some territorial concessions from Bolivia while an autonomous Republic of Santa Cruz was created but still technically part of Bolivia. Our nations main concerns, the security of the postwar Bolivia and reparations for the war, were answered by the Treaty.(1)

(1) pretty much I will receive 1000 tons per quarter from Bolivia for a period of ten years starting Q4 1934.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (May 19th 2007, 11:23pm)

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 11:25pm

September 23rd 1934- The Ministry of the Navy announced a deal has been reached with Germany for the licensing of the construction of their light destroyers and coastal submarines here in Peru. Terms wer not disclosed but has being stated production could start as soon as next month.