You are not logged in.

Thursday, April 12th 2007, 2:26pm

You'd want alcohol or some other fuel to mix with the steam, to increase the temperature and thus the power of your charge. Also, you may want to use an injectable catalyst instead of just relying on the silver to ensure complete conversion of the hydrogen peroxide to it's component parts.

Or at least those are my recommendations after reading up on the various HTP turbine projects.

Friday, April 13th 2007, 12:24pm

70-98% concentrated HTP should provide steam at 500-600 degrees celsius, adding kerosene (combusted by the steam) would raise this to around 2000 degrees, way to hot for what I need. Also HTP does not agree with alcahol, or grease. It will combust on clothing once it evaporates into a concentrated form, on leather the results are even more spectacular. It looks like water but don't drink it either... it creates masses of gas and your stomach will explode. (perfect assisnation tool too :evil: )

Its tricky stuff but safer than most other oxidants, I could use platinum or a silver coated nickel catalyst.

I think this is much better than the water-heated steam turbine even if HTP has to be handled VERY carefully.

Friday, April 13th 2007, 1:56pm

The thing is, you don't need the oxidant, there's oxygen to be had in the surrounding air. HTP is useful in rockets because they operate in areas where there is no oxygen to be had.

Friday, April 13th 2007, 2:14pm

The whole point of using HTP is to remove the weighty boiler, water storage, evaporators and cooling system from the engine.

As Gavin said earlier even with the steam turbine you would need superchargers at higher altitudes to compress the oxygen to get a good burn. HTP does away with that need too and it can drive a secondary tubine system for cabin pressursation.

What we have in effect is a turboprop powered by HTP. It would be roughly the same size and weight too and will be superior to any piston engine in WW and superior to my original concept.

Friday, April 13th 2007, 6:28pm

Instead of silver you can use other catalysts. From memory, Manganese works as one of the best with peroxide. The HTP will decompose and give about 300times the volume out as oxygen. You run the hot gas through a turbine to extract the energy and then couple this to a prop. I'm not sure how it'd compare to a GTE as the power extracted depends on the temperature and mass flow. Operating at lower temp will mean lower power out. However you don't need to drive a compressor. I can't say for sure on the effects.

Saturday, April 14th 2007, 11:43am

I've a BIS study paper on British HTP rockets for some info. I'll work on the details.

What I love is the simplicity, there are no boilers or burners or combustion chambers. HTP rockets were also quite basic. I'm thinking along the lines of a basic tapered tube, HTP goes in, decomposes over catalyst, steam at 500-600c then goes into smaller end and compresses into a turbine, then another to make full use of the steam which then goes out via a rear-facing jet-type exhaust, some tapped off from heating and de-icing. Turbine 1 drives the propeller, and Turbine 2 drives cabin pressurisation system and a cruise turbine for the propeller. Looking at 4-5000shp from it. If it can't be done at 600c then its time to add some kerosene... and all the high-tempurature metallurgy problems that brings.

HTP is tricky stuff but I think it can be tamed.

Saturday, April 14th 2007, 12:52pm

Just don't try to tame it Filipino-style. :)

Saturday, April 14th 2007, 4:17pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
I've a BIS study paper on British HTP rockets for some info. I'll work on the details.

What I love is the simplicity, there are no boilers or burners or combustion chambers. HTP rockets were also quite basic. I'm thinking along the lines of a basic tapered tube, HTP goes in, decomposes over catalyst, steam at 500-600c then goes into smaller end and compresses into a turbine, then another to make full use of the steam which then goes out via a rear-facing jet-type exhaust, some tapped off from heating and de-icing. Turbine 1 drives the propeller, and Turbine 2 drives cabin pressurisation system and a cruise turbine for the propeller. Looking at 4-5000shp from it. If it can't be done at 600c then its time to add some kerosene... and all the high-tempurature metallurgy problems that brings.

HTP is tricky stuff but I think it can be tamed.

Now I'm getting convinced, I like HTP too. In fact, it could be quite handy to have about, as I intend using HTP in torpedoes.

Saturday, April 14th 2007, 6:07pm

600°C is similar to the turbine entry temperature for early GTEs so steel turbine blades are out. Nckel-Alloy (or other) blades are needed.

HTP is a real bugger to work with. You can't use copper pipes and cleanliness is real problem.

I'll send you an IMechE paper I have about using HTP for power and propulsion.

Monday, April 16th 2007, 12:32am

Copy that paper to me, could you please, Gavin?

Cheers