You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 2:28am

The best Armoured Cruiser that never was ...

c

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 9:24am

whew!

"She experienced a major redesign in the course of this:"....I'll say...and its a good thing too....she would have given those british moniters a run for their money in the "best floating brink" catigory! Overall a nice ship and fun to draw too!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 12:21pm

Nice one!

She really looks good and her sheet indicates she´s a tough nut to crack.

Her overall appearance reminds me of the german WW1-twins SCHARNHORST and GNEISENAU. Your NAVARRA looks like a bigger sister to them - or the next logical step in design evolution.

The only thing worth nitpicking is her really weak secondary and tertiary armament...

I wonder what this mini screw is good for? It seems way too small to be able to drive the ship.

Cheers,

HoOmAn

HoOmAn

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 12:23pm

Ahhh... One more thing...

I just noticed that her cranes are to short to swing outboard and lift a boat.

The boats in general seem to be placed at places where they have no chance to be used.....?!

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 4:20pm

*g* Hooman will be Hooman :-))

c

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 4:45pm

Quoted

Originally posted by LordArpad

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOman
The boats in general seem to be placed at places where they have no chance to be used.....?!

You are missing the point here pal :-) They are lifeboats ... you man them and let the ship sink from underneath you ...

cheers

Bernhard

The main purpose for ships' boats is to provide a method bywhich people and supplies can get between the ship and shore in cases where the ship cannot get to a quay - this was often the case in this time-period (after all, when six battleships, six-twelve cruisers, and somewhere around twentyfour destroyers enter a harbour not specially adapted to serve as a longterm base for such a force, space along the quays quickly becomes scarce). Thus, being able to handle the ship's boats was in fact significant.

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 5:03pm

Peng, I was joking ...

Bernhard

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 9:24pm

lol

...well I caught the joke Bernhard.....but seriously though I did have some missgivings about the lifeboat handling equipment. If you like we can bring her back into the dockyard and make some modifications. Anyone have any other helpfull comments? I have a few questions of my own for everyone. Are lifeboat davits around guns able to be removed or folded out of the way of the turret? Many times I've seen lifeboats set up near or beside turrets and say to myself "boy those boats will float real well after those guns go off!"

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 10:21pm

Personally i've always wondered about those aircraft-catapults on the fantails of capital ships - the aircraft and handling-equipment look very exposed to blast back there.

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 11:48pm

c

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 11:53pm

There would normally be many different boats, of different sizes, and for different purposes. One or two of the larger ones might well have a steam-engine, or later a petrol-engine, and an enclosed cabin, while most would probably be variations of open boats powered by oars. Boats would normally be placed close together, and often even be stacked on top of each other.

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 3:52am

redesigns

c

HoOmAn

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 7:03pm

Question...

Aren´t those cranes still too small/short to handle the boats and lift them off the water?

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 10:32pm

sigh

...not if you've redone the drawing many times and know shes getting converted to a carrier....then they look miles long...

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 10:37pm

The cranes in the profile are longer than the cranes in the overhead view on the latest design - I'd say by a ration of between 7/6 and 7/5.

HoOmAn

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 11:15pm

Cranes

Quoted

Originally posted by Pengolodh_sc
The cranes in the profile are longer than the cranes in the overhead view on the latest design - I'd say by a ration of between 7/6 and 7/5.

I guess you´re right but they´re still not long enough to be trained outbord and lower or lift a boat.

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 11:21pm

Using the overhead view, about 1/6 of the total length of the crane-assembly will stick outside the ship's side when the crane is swung 90deg off the beam. Using the profile view, between 3/13 and 2/7 of the total length of the crane assembly will stick outside the ship's side when the crane is swung 90deg off the beam. By total length of the crane-assembly, I mean the length from the tip of the crane to the backside of the column of the crane.

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 11:47pm

hmmm

Won't those cranes look silly if I enlarged them given their particular look?