Length: 765 ft.
Diameter: 158.5

Airframe weight: 72,589 lbs
Airframe reinforced weight: 79,848 lbs

Maximum Airspeed Design: 105 kts

Maximum Speed: 93 kts=107 mph
Cruise Speed: 35 kts
Cruise Altitude: 17,000 ft.
Max Ceiling: 25,000+ ft. (without payload)

Range at cruise speed: 10,000 NM

Payload at cruise specs:

full range: 29,051 lbs
Radius: 33,081 lbs

Armament:

x12 0.50 MG in powered ball turrets= 8,170 lbs
w/x8 mounted in Engine Nacelles
w/x2 Tail/Rudder of Airship
w/x2 Top of envelope of Airship

x6 20mm cannons in fixed power mounts= 1,900 lbs
w/x3 Forward Gondola
w/x3 Rear Gondola

--------------------------------------

Propulsion:

x8 J-07 "Shooting Star" Engines

586 HP

In 8 Nacelles

Prop Diameter: 18.5 ft
Bypass ratio: 350
Efficiency: 23%

Avg weight: 689 lbs

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Salaam86" (Feb 23rd 2007, 11:27pm)

Thursday, February 22nd 2007, 11:39pm

As I recall, only Canada and the US are producing Helium in any appreciable quantities, and are unlikely to supply any to Chosen.

Thursday, February 22nd 2007, 11:40pm

It will depend heavily on how relations between Japan and the United States (or maybe Canada) are for you to get helium, as there are only two ways to get that gas on this planet, and getting it out of the air is way to expensive and costly verses getting it from natural gas deposits....however those are in Texas.

As for the design...I'll let those with actual airship design experiance work on that.

Thursday, February 22nd 2007, 11:47pm

Stats similar to USS Akron, but with much smaller volume and faster speed. Speeds seem a bit off. For Akron, 72knts max and 50knts cruise.

It would make sense to first follow this vessel up with smaller developmental vessels.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Feb 22nd 2007, 11:50pm)

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 12:00am

Also...building such a large ship and openly calling it an inter-continental bomber... You're allied with most of the countries on the continent to your left, so it's looking like a first-strike weapon against Australia or North America. Allies or not, it might be wise to consider openly provoking larger countries that are already, at best, suspicious of Chosen (especially without checking with said allies first).

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 12:36am

Hmmm...thinks about supplying Chosen helium to use in an intercontinental bomber most likely intended to be used against me or my allies...have to think about this for a bit...

After much deliberation, not only no, but HELL NO!!!
:D

I assume the volume is cubic meters? Akron is over 6,000,000 cubic feet in volume and this is about 4.5 from the looks of it. The US has pretty much sworn off using airships in direct combat, though the Army is still talking about it in their efforts to get rigids. Something like the ZRS concept though could prove useful for the western Pacific as recon out past Pacifica towards the US territories or south towards the East Indies.

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 12:39am

Heh. Germany has definitely sworn off the use of airships in direct combat, even if we could get the helium for them. Too slow, too vulnerable to modern weapons (though certainly a helium-filled airship is better off than the hydrogen-filled Zeppelins of the Great War)..

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 4:15am

i'm sorry, i didnt mean to upset anyone.

just consider it a cancelled design.

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 4:18am

Quoted

Originally posted by CanisD
Hmmm...thinks about supplying Chosen helium to use in an intercontinental bomber most likely intended to be used against me or my allies...have to think about this for a bit...

After much deliberation, not only no, but HELL NO!!!
:D

I assume the volume is cubic meters? Akron is over 6,000,000 cubic feet in volume and this is about 4.5 from the looks of it. The US has pretty much sworn off using airships in direct combat, though the Army is still talking about it in their efforts to get rigids. Something like the ZRS concept though could prove useful for the western Pacific as recon out past Pacifica towards the US territories or south towards the East Indies.

4.5 what?

cubic feet? yeah...just about.

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 4:56am

Quoted

Originally posted by Salaam86

No one's upset, we're just letting you know how it'll be viewed in character by the other nations; Something always worth considering.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 5:25am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Quoted

No one's upset, we're just letting you know how it'll be viewed in character by the other nations; Something always worth considering.

And actually one of the big reasons to be in Wesworld instead of designing in isolation. When I make a new design, I try to consider what is known about my likely opposition to both identify needs and minimum capabilities. Likewise, we post designs for feedback...and pointing out of weak points. The diplomatic side is an adjunct that helps provide the reaction to the designs and actions. Thats all.

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 7:08am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Quoted

And actually one of the big reasons to be in Wesworld instead of designing in isolation. When I make a new design, I try to consider what is known about my likely opposition to both identify needs and minimum capabilities. Likewise, we post designs for feedback...and pointing out of weak points. The diplomatic side is an adjunct that helps provide the reaction to the designs and actions. Thats all.

no, i dont mean I didnt like the negative feedback. i dont see it as negative, i see it as constructive criticism.

what i said sorry about was that I...well I'm not sure. I'm confused over the mixed responses. I've been told by some that chosen can't build it.

gaah...so I'm sorry for distorting the sim then? if it cant be done it can't be done. thats why i said consider it cancelled. i dont want to do something thats not allowed within the sim.

:-)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 7:38am

I had trouble figuring out how to explain. There are different levels of critique. Some "distortion" is fine, but we like things to fall in a natural progression. Chosen has not shown great interest in an Airship previously, so it's a bit odd. That doesn't make it 'not allowed'. That's also what RA was indicating by suggesting a developmental arc. It could also be that the Queen saw one and wants the absolute biggest one technically possible.

So let's call the first type of critique technical possibility- that's something of a consensus issue. In large part it depends on the proposer's ability to present the case for their concept, which folks lend their knowledge in assessing if the proposal is doable. For example, if I proposed a design featuring laser rangefinders....I'd be informed "no". But early IR tech...I could present a case that IR-spectrum lights were known, and the electronic parts were available in period, and I had these storyline reasons...etc, etc.

The idea of a big airship- that's possibly doable (there are airship folks here that would know better than I), but the observation that Chosen lacks helium, and that the only country with it was unlikely to sell helium...that's a technical problem for any Chosen airship designed with helium.

You could adjust for hydrogen, or send a PM to Canis and try to convince the US that it's a good idea to help a Japanese ally field a weapon suited for ultra-long range bombing..like of the US.

Then there's a category I'll call Missed considerations : There was a discussion a while ago on a 25mm torpedo bulkhead. SS2 shows little difference in survivability between a 25mm and a 40mm, but with the warheads in use, consideration of splinters, etc, 40+ is felt by many to be necessary for effectiveness. This wasn't a technical issue, and the designer was free to go ahead and use a 25mm.

Merits/Flaws : Good and bad points of the design, things to consider. The idea that this is a big big project for Chosen, and something of a national prestige item, but one that may upset some foreign powers- these are merits and flaws.

I'm sure somebody else well have a different take. : )
-Kirk

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 7:49am

Check some of Canada's news posts; Most of the nutcase, screwball, and advanced technologies or designs I've been hinting at and developing for several sim-years before throwing out the designs and building them.

The story and development are just as important here as the raw designs and statistics; Just keep that in mind, and you'll be fine. (:

I'd suggest working with Walter and put up some News posts, either backdated a quarter or two, or starting with Q1. When I started Canada, first thing I did was do some research on the country during that period, and decide how I wanted to alter things, and then I put forth a pretty long News post with "major points" for about 10 years. Now, I started with a country that'd been pretty much ignored, whereas you're starting with one that Walter's written a lot about. Write up some news items, and developmental stuff, run it by Walter, then start posting it to get a feel for things. (:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ShinRa_Inc" (Feb 23rd 2007, 7:52am)

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 4:51pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
(big long excellent explanation)

*bows before the Kaiser, whose explanation-fu is strong*

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Swamphen" (Feb 23rd 2007, 4:52pm)

Friday, February 23rd 2007, 11:11pm

Aww, :-)

i'll try. I'm not so good at the whole umm...role playing thing. I can roleplay characters going off other contributions, but I generally try to avoid story telling.

As on Navalism...I'm into airpower more than seapower. So I'd kind of like to steer Chosen in that direction.

As for the airship tech...I don't have the resources to create a whole fleet all at once. if you are asking me to show a progression, by posting designs that would have been built before current sim date, I can do that. If you want them all right now, I have no clue how long that would take to reach a building capacity.

It sounds like Shinra is kinda like me, if he likes to design crazy weapons and build them. lol.
^_^