You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 2:52pm

Italy Q3 - Q4/ 1933

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRmzCUf0Go

July 1 - August 12, 1933
Italo Balbo, Defense Minister leads a flight of 24 flying boats on a round-trip flight from Rome to Chicago, Illinois; the flight ended on Lake Michigan. In honor of this feat, Mussolini will donate a column from Ostia to the city of Chicago; Chicago renamed Seventh Street "Balbo Drive" and staged a parade in his honor. The President invited him to lunch. This follows his earlier expedition to Comodoro Rividavia in 1931.

Thursday, February 1st 2007, 5:16pm

• Numerous meetings between Grandi and the French ambassador in Rome have resulted in a agreement that gives mutual satisfaction. The recent discovery of oil in the Sahara in Algeria has led Italy to extend to France the already extant port facilities at Tripoli. The discovery of oil in Libya in the early 20s led the rapid expansion of the port facilities there, especially the petroleum storage facilities. It is now one of the busiest ports in North Africa. The French ambassador accepted the offer to use the port facilties in addition to their own in Tunisia. However the infrastructure already in place means that Tripoli will be the favoured route in the short term.

• First flight of SM.79ter bomber. Completed with larger and more powerful Isotta-Fraschini inline engines which have resulted in a significant rise in maximum speed. However, problems exist in mating the airframes to the airframe. It is expected that the Alfa-Romeo 126 radial will continue to be used.

• SuperAero releases a RFP for a light bomber. So far, only Breda and Fiat have indicated that they will take part.

• OTO and Ansaldo have reportedly been contracted to produce an undisclosed number of 381mm rifles.

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 7:12pm

• Start of an extensive hydrographical survey of the Ethiopian coastline along the Red Sea using the survey ship Ammiraglio Magnaghi basing out of Asab. The extensive charting being done should make the increased volume of coastal traffic safer with marking of reefs and sandbanks.

• Italian observers in Peru training the Peruvians in the use of their new 47mm anti-tank gun.

http://home.att.net/~mybeasts/1933bwItaliancrpd.jpg

• Italian National Championships in Rome for model aircraft. They are rubber-band powered and the largest has nearly 2.5m wingspan.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Feb 8th 2007, 11:44am)

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 7:22pm

Can we get a little info on the sale of Claudio and Nerone, please?

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 8:18pm

Hmmm. Iberia would seem a likely candidate, but then it might be Argentina or someone else entirely.

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 9:15pm

Sales of What?

Say what now?

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 9:34pm

Quoted

Claudio Laid down 1933, Sold 1933
Nerone Laid down 1933, Sold 1933

Caesar II, Italian ACR laid down 1933

Oh no, Peru's a possible buyer.

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 9:46pm

Interesting. If Peru is still going after the South African ships, I doubt they have the funds for any Italian warships of this size.

Does this effect the Treaty in any way? Or have we gotten to the "let us ignore it and maybe it will go away" approach? :)

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 10:01pm

The facts of the case.

The 3 "Saints" have been completed and are in service, in their original configuration.

The older battleships Cavour, Cesare, Dulio, and Doria are in service.

The newer battleships Caracciolo, Colombo, and Lepanto are in service.

The 3 "Emperors" have had all necessary tonnage produced, and have a completion date of 10 January 1934.

Battleship Date replacement may be laid down
Cesare 14 May 1931
Cavour 1 April 1932
Dulio 10 May 1932
Doria 13 March 1933

Battleship Date replacement may be completed
Cesare 14 May 1934
Cavour 1 April 1935
Dulio 10 May 1935
Doria 13 March 1936

Completion dates for the older Italian BBs may be found here:

http://hazegray.org/navhist/battleships/ital_dr.htm

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "AdmKuznetsov" (Feb 7th 2007, 10:48pm)

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 10:38pm

Calendar style

One little correction: Calendar style. (see "Launched" date.)

Quoted

Ship Name:Augusto
Laid down:01/01/32 Completion:10/01/34 Launched:23/10/32
Amount built:15500 Amount added:176 Amount Needed:0

Ship Name:Tiberio
Amount built:15500 Amount added:176 Amount Needed:0

Ship Name:Caligola
Amount built:15500 Amount added:2176 Amount Needed:0

Note that this report uses the Day/Month/Year pattern,
so therefore completion of these three units is scheduled for January 10, 1934 .

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ithekro" (Feb 7th 2007, 10:39pm)

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 10:47pm

Fixed

Thanks.

That's what you get from posting from memory.

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 10:49pm

The 3 Saints are in service as cruisers that displace c.13000tons

There are then 4 old capital ships up for replacement with 3 Caesar I class replacing 1 ship.

Then there are 2 Caracciolos and Lepanto in service which will bring the total up to the maximum of 9.

Quoted

Note that this report uses the Day/Month/Year pattern,

And you can tell that because there aren't 23 months in the year. I've never ever understood month/day/year. It just makes no logical sense.

I'll post news of who/what/when when I get time, probably tomorrow morning.

Thursday, February 8th 2007, 1:12am

For those that do use Month/Day/Year, it can be confusing if there are no dates over the 12th, and thus the system in use is unclear. However I was just mentioning it to correct the October date stated earlier to the more accurate January 10th.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, February 8th 2007, 1:59am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
And you can tell that because there aren't 23 months in the year. I've never ever understood month/day/year. It just makes no logical sense.

It makes sense to some of us. I'm meeting with several of my friends on February 11th. That happens to be Feb. 11, 2007, or 2/11/07. I could also say "on the 11th of February", but that is not the common manner of speaking in this area.

Thursday, February 8th 2007, 3:43am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

Quoted

Claudio Laid down 1933, Sold 1933
Nerone Laid down 1933, Sold 1933

Caesar II, Italian ACR laid down 1933

Oh no, Peru's a possible buyer.

No we are not. Nice ships but due to the purchase of the Konings we are not buying or building anything until the middle of 1934. Mexico rules the used ship market.

Thursday, February 8th 2007, 3:45am

Quoted

Originally posted by Ithekro
Interesting. If Peru is still going after the South African ships, I doubt they have the funds for any Italian warships of this size.

Does this effect the Treaty in any way? Or have we gotten to the "let us ignore it and maybe it will go away" approach? :)

Good assumption in regard to Peru.

Thursday, February 8th 2007, 11:43am

News

Cantieri Riuniti dell'Adriatico (CRDA) in Trieste annouces the sale of the hulls of the cruisers Claudio and Nerone to the KDM. It is understood that they were approached by the KDM with a strong offer. The Regia Marina accepted the sale when asked by the KDM and CRDA and they hope to recoup their losses. CRDA earns an undisclosed cash sum from the KDM. As the ships will be completed in Aarhus, the Regia Marina has promised to order new ships in the Trieste yard to satisfy CRDA. [Also CRDA is the only yard large enough to handle the ships..]. The Regia Marina and the KDM refused to comment on rumours that the ships would be re-armed with 254mm guns.

Friday, February 9th 2007, 4:50am

Wait, KDM = CG, 254mm = 10", 10"+CG = Admiral Grau... I'll bet that these ships will end up in Peru.

Friday, February 9th 2007, 10:08am

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get you.

Friday, February 9th 2007, 12:53pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Wait, KDM = CG, 254mm = 10", 10"+CG = Admiral Grau... I'll bet that these ships will end up in Peru.

Peru won't mind them joining a AANM Pacific Squadron. :D