You are not logged in.

Sunday, January 21st 2007, 1:54pm

Argentine Anti-tank guns

From Hood's great post of earlier today:

Quoted

37mm M30/Rh: The Rheinmetall 37mm anti-tank gun was one of the first in Europe and has sold well. In 1929 Argentina brought some twenty-four to equip every divisions anti-tank company which until recently has not been an active formation.

1929 is perhaps a bit early for this weapon, since Germany was forbidden from having or developing such weapons under the VT. 1930 or 1931 works, though.

Sunday, January 21st 2007, 3:24pm

In my 'WWII: The Directory of Weapons', ed Chris Bishop it claims the PaK 35/36 that Rheinmetall began work on a 37mm Anti-Tank gun in 1925 and that production began in 1928. Designed for horse traction it was modernised and mass produced from 1934 as the PaK 35/36. Of course this seems odd but Germany was secretly trying all ways to get around the VT anyway.

Ian Hogg in 'German Artillery of World War Two' states development of the PaK 35/36 began only in 1933. Was there another 37mm gun before the PaK?

Sunday, January 21st 2007, 4:07pm

Well, there was the WWI 3.7cm TAK weapon, for sure. I'm seeing a similar conflict on dates as well. It's certainly POSSIBLE that Rheinmettall produced an early version of the 3.7cm PAK with a wooden-spoke wheel arrangement, I just can't see it being sold outside the country until 1930 or 19311 (just to keep the VT from being an issue).

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, January 22nd 2007, 6:02pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Well, there was the WWI 3.7cm TAK weapon, for sure. I'm seeing a similar conflict on dates as well. It's certainly POSSIBLE that Rheinmettall produced an early version of the 3.7cm PAK with a wooden-spoke wheel arrangement, I just can't see it being sold outside the country until 1930 or 19311 (just to keep the VT from being an issue).

Well I've been working on the presumption that the current Dutch ATG is a 37mm/~40 successor to the German WWI 37mm, issued in the mid 1920s.

Considering that a number of German companies set up shop outside Germany, a Dutch Rheinmettall factory could certainly be the source of the Argie weapons if the two of you find that storyline acceptable.

Monday, January 22nd 2007, 6:10pm

Works for me.

Monday, January 22nd 2007, 7:54pm

Sounds ok to me too.

BTW, what I meant in the quote Hrolf added is that the AT Companies were formed but never received any training and the guns were in storage but recent actions in Bolivia and Mexico have shown the need for such a formation and they are currently being reformed.