You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 2:26pm

Diplomatic Note to Atlantis, 30 April 1933

The following note is delivered to Atlantean Foreign Minister Maren Xanthus, and copies are delivered to all signatories of the Cleito Treaty.

Mr. Xanthus,

We the undersigned decline to participate in a new round of naval arms limitation negotiations, as requested by Italy, at this time.

Should Italy remain out of compliance with the Cleito Treaty on or after 1 October 1933, we the undersigned shall consider the Cleito Treaty to be null and void as of 1 January 1934.

Tokugawa Tsugako,
Japan

Brashkar II,
Bharat

de la Vega,
The Philippines

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 3:56pm

Now if I could get my hands on it...

Australian reaction: "Oh S***!"

Mexican Reaction: "Cheap Ships!"

:D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Desertfox" (Jan 11th 2007, 3:56pm)

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 5:07pm

Not to put words in RLBH's mouth, but I imagine the UK would forward copies to Australia and Canada soon enough.

"Cheap ships"? Might be fewer on the market if the treaty goes kaput and folks decide to retain their older stuff a bit longer.

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 7:40pm

Doom!

OOC: "I have a very bad feeling about this."

I also have reservations about the Australian's idea of a new treaty for those outside the present treaty. It the big boys aren't playing by the rules anymore, then how will the small fry coop if we are tying out own hands?

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 7:44pm

Not knowing the details of said Australian proposal, I can only say that the "small fry" might still find issues worth discussing, even if a separate arms limitation treaty is not considered a useful outcome.

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 8:02pm

Well if Cleito is "Gone with the Wind"...who can say?

Well one of the points the "Small Fry" was planning to discuss was the sale of ships from Cleito Members to non Cleito Members. So that point will be moot.

The other main point, a mini Treaty to avoid arm races between the small countries, especially in SA,might still be applicable, and if it works could even point the way for a working Cleito.

But first I have to get more countries involved, so far I have Mexico, Chile, and Chosen!

Rocky, there are countries out there who want to get rid of ships but can't. Mexico has a nice big list of potential candidates..

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 8:08pm

Fallout?

Perhaps. Chile was sending a representative anyway...though I forget when it was to be held...October?

With SATSUMA, FAR, and Germany (and probably Nordmark) expressing concern over Italy's appearent breach of treaty in terms of capital ships by more than a minor bookkeeper's error, I'd expect either the situation to be resolved diplomatically (for good or bad) or through Treaty Nations talks (with or without observers).

More or less I'd like to see at least an attempt to salvage the treaty, or a concrete end to it that at least can be agreed upon. Rather than a simple "I'm leaving", I'd like some kind of post meeting of the remaining members to figure out how they will proceed, or at least formally desolve the treaty in agreement that it failed.

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 8:33pm

Some sort of a diplomatic outcome is to be expected; I doubt the world has the stomach for punitive action.

Monday, January 15th 2007, 12:56am

"It's the end...but the time has been prepared for"

"What do you have for me, Mr. M?"

"Important news, my King. Our...sources...report that the main SATSUMA nations have declared that they will be pulling out of the Cleito Treaty, should Italy continue to flaunt it."

"Mmm. And how does that affect us?"

"It is hard to say at this time, my King..."

"Well. Please keep me informed, Mr. M. Now what news do you have regarding our double agent in Indochina?"

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, January 15th 2007, 7:53am

Reminds me of a song by REM: "It´s the end of the world as we know it...."

Many words, few actions..... We´ll see what will happen.

*popcorn*

Monday, January 15th 2007, 9:11am

Most things are happening via backroom channels.

Monday, January 15th 2007, 7:11pm

Truth and Justice

Trust has been lost where it concern the Italians. It will only be a matter of time now. Proof or no proof too many nations believe Italy has broken the treaty, and with this being only the lastest incident of a suspected or near breach by Italy, I imagine several nations will start placing demands for proof this time over the sovereignty of the Italian people. Which will make matters worse. The truth wiill be the end of this I image.

Monday, January 15th 2007, 9:00pm

Short of sanctions or punitive action, there's really nothing that can be done to force an inspection. Sanctions don't work so well unless most everybody is heeding them, which is unlikely to be the case in this scenario. Punitive action is a risky proposition at the best of times.

So yeah, there's mis-trust, but probably from a few directions. Italy and friends would have reason to distrust SATSUMA, FAR, and Germany's actions/motives/attention to detail. I expect there's also a "boy who cried wolf" threshold that'll be crossed sooner or later as nations get tired of the accusations.