You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, January 8th 2007, 3:31am

Off-topic question

Can warships operate in the seas near Svalbard? Is it too icey? What other operational hazards would you expect from that kind of climate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard

The reason I ask is.. I've been thinking how much fun it would be to play as the Panserbjørne in a future Wesworld/Navalism iteration.

Monday, January 8th 2007, 4:17am

What in a world were we actually have other species aside from human as cilvilized?

My knowledge of that reagion is very limited, the closest I've been to their are the Orkneys.

Monday, January 8th 2007, 5:12am

Unlikely I know, but Navalism is already weird enough.

Monday, January 8th 2007, 5:29am

Heh well this makes Navalism look quite sane.

Thats said I can't help you in reguards to Svalbard, but I'd assume that if polar bears with opposable thumbs capable of speaking english exist why not a navigatable Svalbard? Perhaps warmer weather is the cause of all this? *shrugs*

Monday, January 8th 2007, 5:33am

Consider it wild speculation then. :P A future fantasy game - I might drop the armoured bears (perhaps a nation of Skrælings?) but I'm still interested in the navigability of the waters up there. I'll do a bit more research..

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Alikchi" (Jan 8th 2007, 6:57am)

Monday, January 8th 2007, 12:33pm

Yes they can. A fasttrak catamaran operates a service from Harstad [near Narvik] to Longyearbyen. I met a German guy there in August who'd just come back. He thought it was the coldest place he'd ever been - in August as well. Cruise ships do operate up there.

In winter its a completely different proposition. I'm trying to find some satellite shots i have.