You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, November 25th 2006, 3:38am

Bangkok Bugle Q4/32

14 October

Another political party has registered to run for election to what has become known as "the 1935 Government". The People's Party has declared a policy of "peaceful co-exsistance with our neighbours, current and future" and "continued economic development"...

8 November

A furious exchange of diplomacy between France and Siam following the "Indochina Speech" of President Poincare has the King frustrated and the Siam National Party outraged.

The King has stated that "following the speech of Monsieur Poincare we attempted to open a dialogue with France over the status of the territories taken from Siam in the past. Our hand of conciliation was slapped back into our face. The French wish to be seen as good neighbours in Indochina, however I am afraid that there is a great question, if their words have any worth to them."

A spokesman for the SNP was rather more blunt. "France is simply undertaking their "Indochinese Policy" with the aim of throwing scraps at SATSUMA while ensuring their continued rule. One can be sure that when 1945 rolls around, the vote will be for continued union with France, because the French will be voting early and often. Their calling our nation despotic and lusting for conquest, when we merely wish the return of the territories and peoples taken forefully from us by fradulent interpretrations of international law, merely shows their true colors. Let us remember that when France extends an olive branch in one hand, the other is hidden behind their back with a poisioned dagger..."

19 November

The announcement by France of the deployment to Indochina of the battleship Foch has resulted in the SNP roundly denounced France as warmongering, while some have joked about how "the mighty Frog is so terrified of the tiny Elephant"...

4 December

Released reports that the French battleship Courbet is to be scrapped and its weapons installed as coastal artillery around Kampong Saom has sparked an uproar in Bangkok diplomatic circles. The Siamese Nationalist Party has condemned the action as "acting to ensure French opression against the Khmer and Siamese people in the Occupied Territories", while even the People's Party has questioned why France feels so threatened if they seek to ensure the empowerment of their colonial peoples. Reportedly the King will be making an official statement to the French Embassy on the matter...

Saturday, November 25th 2006, 3:44am

6 December:

Official Diplomatic Protest from the King of Siam to the Government of France:

Despite our many differences in the past I have attempted to reconcile our great nations to assist and not impede your Indochinese plan as described in your speech of 30 October. I will not reiterate my objections to your responses to our messages.

Given your lack of productive response to these messages and your apparant lack of interest in the suggestions by third-party nations to assist in mediation Siam will hereby maintain its legal and moral claim to the lands occupied by France, south and west of the Mekong River, and to the centre of the main navigational channel of the Mekong River.

Under these conditions Siam hereby protests the plans of the French Government to install major calibre artillery along the coast of the Occupied Territories. These actions serve no purpose but to further increase tensions in the area and to ensure continued domination over the local peoples.

Should France wish to meet to discuss these matters with an aim to resolving them, my ministers are available at your convience.

signed
Prajadhipok, Rama VII, King of Siam

Saturday, November 25th 2006, 3:49am

Easy, muscles, you can still be colonized >;)

Saturday, November 25th 2006, 3:57am

Oh-Oh! The world is not turning into a very friendly place.

Saturday, November 25th 2006, 11:12am

Just like the real world. :-)

Saturday, November 25th 2006, 11:30am

OOC:Looks like Siam is merely taking advantage of France while she's negotiating with SATSUMA, without her allies to back her up in talks no less.

Sunday, November 26th 2006, 1:45pm

Reply of the French government, 8 December 1932

Your Majesty,

Quoted

Despite our many differences in the past I have attempted to reconcile our great nations to assist and not impede your Indochinese plan as described in your speech of 30 October. I will not reiterate my objections to your responses to our messages.

While developing horrifically destructive and indiscriminate weapons and making demands on French territory may describe an attempt at reconciliation in your mind, the French government are not of the same opinion.

Quoted

Given your lack of productive response to these messages and your apparant lack of interest in the suggestions by third-party nations to assist in mediation Siam will hereby maintain its legal and moral claim to the lands occupied by France, south and west of the Mekong River, and to the centre of the main navigational channel of the Mekong River.

These territories are and will remain French, until 1945 when their inhabitants will choose their own future.

Quoted

Under these conditions Siam hereby protests the plans of the French Government to install major calibre artillery along the coast of the Occupied Territories. These actions serve no purpose but to further increase tensions in the area and to ensure continued domination over the local peoples.

The measures the government of France takes for the defense of her territories are not a concern of the King of Siam.

Quoted

Should France wish to meet to discuss these matters with an aim to resolving them, my ministers are available at your convience.

These matters are entirely resolved, and the French government see no point in such discussion.

Monday, November 27th 2006, 2:58pm

Quoted

These matters are entirely resolved, and the French government see no point in such discussion.

One night in early December, as the French Ambassador to Siam is preparing for bed, there is a 'thunk' on his front porch. Investigating, he finds a menu from one of Bangkok's priciest dining establishments (tied to a rock, hence the thunk). 'Frog legs' is circled and underlined, next to it is an initialed 'M'...

Monday, November 27th 2006, 4:41pm

Quoted

'Frog legs' is circled and underlined, next to it is an initialed 'M'...

... now why am I thinking...

... with that initial 'M'?
Makes me think that 'M' is this guy...

http://home.planet.nl/~duckburg/Afbeeldi…acobs/Olrik.jpg
... or at least in his guise as...

http://www.pierretintin.ch/assets/images/disc22.jpg
:-)

Monday, November 27th 2006, 9:19pm

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://www.sshf.com/fr/holmeso/personnag…moriarty-sp.jpg

...although I think that second one of yours might be closer to the mark. :-)

Tuesday, November 28th 2006, 12:54am

Another Holmes fan or just a passing fancy on your part Swampy?

Tuesday, November 28th 2006, 1:38am

"Yes"

Not a rabid fanboy but do enjoy reading the tales. :-)

Tuesday, November 28th 2006, 1:56am

Great great uncle Sherlock would not approve of that man being alive...still.

Thursday, November 30th 2006, 4:06pm

Well I was thinking more the M.O. than the man himself. I think I'll use Walter's suggestion for the face of "the mighty M". :-)

Thursday, November 30th 2006, 4:13pm

Beware, the French might ressurect Mr. Holmes...

Thursday, November 30th 2006, 8:05pm

... actually, I don't think Mr. Holmes has a chance against Colonel Olrik...
... I mean the Mighty

[SIZE=1]'M'[/SIZE]
:-)

Friday, December 1st 2006, 3:32pm

14 December

It was announced today that there is to be a further expansion of the Royal Siamese Air Force and the Royal Siamese Army. The expansion, partially funded directly from Royal Funds, will see the RSAF expanded to 500 combat aircraft, while the Army will be looking to order a number of tanks and other equipment.

Officials declined to comment on whether the chilling of relations with France has affected the orders with Atlantis for armoured railcars and an airship...

17 December

Although nothing official has been stated, it is reported that the RSAF wishes to enter into discussions with the Royal Australian Air Force torwards the creation of a joint facility for aircrew training in the latter country...

Saturday, December 2nd 2006, 7:06am

I'd think the deals would be suspended or delayed at this point, though most of the barbs have been thrown OOC or behind the scenes rather than publicly.

OOC: Atlantis would ultimately back France given the leeway they have already shown other nations in the region in reguards to its pacific holdings so unless the relations begin improving I'd say the deals would likely get nixed.