You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 12:01pm

Your Reading List

What are you reading?

As for me:

"Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887-1941" by David Evans and Mark Peattie
Thoughts: Absolutely excellent, a great overview of the growth of the IJN, and good insight into naval affairs in general. I'm picking up a lot of ideas for Wesworld from this book - focusing on the navy beyond the ships, the training, the fuel supply, all those tertiary factors.

"No god but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam" by Reza Aslan
Thoughts: I've only just started, but this has already grabbed me in. I absolutely respect and, well adore Reza Aslan already - I've seen or heard most of his TV and radio interviews, because he's just that good - and I think that after I finish, I'll be much more prepared to write about Islam for Navalism.

"Osman's Dream: The History of the Ottoman Empire" by Caroline Finkel
Thoughts: I'm not sure how I feel about this book yet. There's certainly a lot of interesting information, but it's not as readable as I had hoped. Maybe once I start reaching modern times, the book will become more entertaining. Still, lots of good information, I think.

"His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman (AUDIOBOOKS)
Thoughts: My favorite fantasy series of all time - absolutely captivating as books, I've re-read the trilogy at least four times. The audiobooks are very well produced, with the author reading, supported by a cast for all the spoken lines. I think that the three books are about 30 hours of audio total, so perfect for very long drives...

"World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War" by Max Brooks
Thoughts: I just finished this one, and it was excellent, very gripping. It's prevented as a series of interviews of survivors of the "Zombie War", and it's very convincingly written. There's an element of Alternate/Future history here that I really enjoyed.

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 2:40pm

Umm...

A home repair and renovation book from Home Hardware, so I can properly fix the hole the puppies chewed in the wall, attempt to understand the phone wiring as installed by the previous owners, and so forth.

Recently read were:

"Struck by Lightning", by Jeffrey Rosenthal. The book's on probabilities; it's okay. Three days after finished reading it, the media broke a story about how Ontario lottery ticket retailers are winning more jackpots than should be possible without cheating. This guy is the fellow who crunched the numbers and came to the conclusion.

"Fatal Passage", by Ken and Kenneth McGoogan. A biography of Canadian explorer David Rae, who discovered the fate of the Franklin expedition and also filled in the missing spaces on the Northwest Passage. Interesting in that Rae used small expeditions that lived off the land and incorporated local knowledge, rather than sending in large ships with heaps of supplies.

I've noticed the zombie book and may pick that one up...

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 4:02pm

Fear ye mortals!!!

"The Influence of Seapower upon History. 1660-1783" By A.T. Mahan

and any other book which picks my attention at this time.

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 4:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
Umm...

A home repair and renovation book from Home Hardware, so I can properly fix the hole the puppies chewed in the wall, attempt to understand the phone wiring as installed by the previous owners, and so forth.

Recently read were:

"Struck by Lightning", by Jeffrey Rosenthal. The book's on probabilities; it's okay. Three days after finished reading it, the media broke a story about how Ontario lottery ticket retailers are winning more jackpots than should be possible without cheating. This guy is the fellow who crunched the numbers and came to the conclusion.

"Fatal Passage", by Ken and Kenneth McGoogan. A biography of Canadian explorer David Rae, who discovered the fate of the Franklin expedition and also filled in the missing spaces on the Northwest Passage. Interesting in that Rae used small expeditions that lived off the land and incorporated local knowledge, rather than sending in large ships with heaps of supplies.

I've noticed the zombie book and may pick that one up...

Hole in the wall? I hope it's not too bad - not something you want when it's getting cold like this..

It's hard to make a book on statistics readable; the fact that you managed to get through it counts for something, I expect.

I think I've seen Fatal Passage at Borders - sounds interesting! I've actually been looking for period books on exploration, so I can write realistic material on Filipino exploration of Antarctica.

Desertfox: Classy and appropriate. ;) I've actually never read Mahan but it might be fun to read some period literature.

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 6:17pm

Hmmm...
(boring list of readable material)

Stuff I am reading or recently have read...
- Novels
.hack// Another Birth Vol.1//Infection_ by Miu Kawasaki.
Powers That Be , Power Lines and Power Play by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough.

- Manga and other leafthrough stuff in reach to quickly go through before going to sleep (or to prevent me from falling asleep behind the computer).
Samurai Deeper Kyo by Akimine Kamijyo.
Kare Kano by Masami Tsuda.
Berserk by Kentaro Miura.
Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya.
Sakura Wars by Ohji Hiroi.
Oh My Goddess! by Kosuke Fujishima.
RG Veda by CLAMP.
Aria by Kozue Amano.
Corto Maltese by Hugo Pratt.
Yoko Tsuno by Roger Leloup.
British Battleships by Dr. Oskar Parkes.
How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove.
Most other stuff is currently stored in boxes.

Books currently stored somewhere in boxes in my room that I really need to dig out again to use for my drawings...
AotS Yamato.
AotS Fuso.
AotS Hood.
AotS Intrepid.
Tamiya Supplement books Random Japanese Warship details Vol. 1&2 (the most important books in my collection when it comes to warships... need... books... fast!!).

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 6:43pm

Elements of Gas Turbine Propulsion

Modern Control Systems

Fluid Mechanics

You get the general idea...

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 6:45pm

Yes, we get the general idea. Using all that stuff for Wesworld Italy. :-)

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 9:25pm

Not time to bring out Campini's supersonic fighters yet...

[size=1]This one is actually high subsonic but my pictures of the others aren't as good[/size]

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 10:32pm

I haven't read much since my holiday when I finished Warship 2006. Recently I picked up a British Interplanetary Society Journal on British Rocket Fighter programmes and a 1968 book on Soviet merchant ships.

On my shelves to read next are;

The Deceivers: Allied Military Deception in the Second World War by Thaddeus Holt

Short History of Everything by Bill Bryson

George Orwell's Collected Essays

Plus I'm waiting for Tony Buttler's US Secret Projects: Fighters. It promises to be a cracker like his other books.

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 11:17pm

Most of my stuff is still buried in boxes somewhere...... anyone noticed how Denmark is running out of Danish names for it's ships??

Wednesday, November 22nd 2006, 12:41am

Ive noticed you've run out of Spanish names. Some Iberian names are just downright hilarious! Coward? Fearful? See you later?

I have quite a decent aircraft library, my latest aquisition being "U.S. Fighters, 1951-1980s" a good book with every single US aircraft with a P or F designation. Unfortunately my warship library is quite limited to Jane's Warships of WWII, and Jane's Warship Recognition Guide.

Wednesday, November 22nd 2006, 12:57am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Ive noticed you've run out of Spanish names. Some Iberian names are just downright hilarious! Coward? Fearful? See you later?

Those 3 are pre-me, but the Mrs is helping the daft continue with the "Glug" class tankers!

Wednesday, November 22nd 2006, 1:06am

To increase one's collection of Jane's I'd suggest eBay. There are people selling copies of different years (originals and reprints) from 1898 to present.

While Jane's is not always the most accurate source, it is one of the largest "in period" sources of warship data. I've tried to keep my collection at around one book for every five to ten years. My largest gaps I think is from 1924 - 1936 and 1946 - 1959.

Wednesday, November 22nd 2006, 3:02am

Quoted

I have quite a decent aircraft library, my latest aquisition being "U.S. Fighters, 1951-1980s" a good book with every single US aircraft with a P or F designation.

What you really want is The Complete Book of Fighters. :-)

And don't forget to build this:

Wednesday, November 22nd 2006, 5:40am

*drools*

Well I can't complain when I got it for free! ($5 but had a coupon!) I get most of my books from local used bookstores and library sales. Ocasionally you can find a good deal, like the Jane's book for only $10.

Wednesday, November 22nd 2006, 9:04am

Good grief my bookshelf is too huge to pick any particular book, my favorites are the Squadron/Signal books though, lots of pics and reasonable comentary.

My latest book from this series is on Japanese light cruisers. I've also managed to find a few books on subs.

"the Illustrated Directory of Submarines of the world", by David Miller

Comprehensive list of subs from various nations classified by type of propultion, role and era.

"The Canadian Submaines service in reveiw", by J. David Perkins

Nice perspective on the Canadian submarine service, particulariliy its beginings around WW1.

"Wolf Pack, the story of the U-boat in WW2", by Gordon Williamson

Very cool book that examines the various designs, sub pen construction, tactics and crew.

Wednesday, November 22nd 2006, 6:18pm

I keep meaning to go to our library and have a look through the Janes' of World War II - they have the World War I, World War II and every annual edition since 1953. Unfortunately, they're held in one of the special collections, so they have to stay in a special reading room and access requires a member of staff.

The former's not so great a problem, but the latter is. Staff are darned elusive in there. Probably because I insist on going at ungodly hours of the morning, ungodly hours of the evening or on weekends...

Sunday, November 26th 2006, 11:34am

Currently reading three books on Chinese history.

If I pick up Conways again - Mrs A_N asks 'haven't you read that before?'

Quoted

so I can properly fix the hole the puppies chewed in the wall, attempt to understand the phone wiring as installed by the previous owners,

Had a friend who's house had been 'rewired' with speaker cable.

I bet the puppies were just scratching the wall and when you threw a shoe at them... now you have a hole.

Cheers,

Sunday, November 26th 2006, 4:02pm

No - if that had been the case, I'd have a broken window or a dent in the floor.

Val's reaction to my going through the Chesneau CV book has been much the same as Mrs A_N's...

Sunday, November 26th 2006, 7:47pm

Mine:

Pons & Roman eds "Russia in the Age of Wars: 1914-1945"

Tulley "FDR: My Boss"

That CA-11 does a pretty fair imitation of a porcupine, Swampy.