You are not logged in.

Monday, November 13th 2006, 7:28pm

Paris Herald, 30 October 1932

President Poincare today gave a speech on foreign affairs today, whose highlight was a section on colonial policy. We reproduce that section below:

“It is clear that present French strategy for the defense of her colonies requires them to maintain their defensive capability while French forces from other parts of the Empire deploy to render assistance. But there is a political aspect here as well. We understand that times are changing, and the world is no longer as it was. During the Great War, France called upon her colonies for her defense, and in response forces were raised from the Empire and committed to the fight. This fact alone indicates that our relations with the peoples of our colonies have changed. And here I must bow to the wisdom of the Herriot government, who laid the foundations for a new kind of relationship between France and her overseas possessions. At the time I was outraged. How dare he shake the foundations of the Imperial glory of France! Matters have become clearer to me as time has passed, and the strength of the Colonial peoples, demonstrated in battle nearly twenty years ago, have developed even more fully. It is clear to me that France must do what she can to encourage this development. Therefore, allow me to lay before you a program to do so.

After discussion with the Chairman of the firm Schneider-Creusot I can announce an investment to build factories in Hanoi, Phnom-Penh, Saigon, and Vientiane producing small arms, explosives, and ammunition, with a view to making Indochina self-sufficient in territorial defense.

I also have the honor to announce a French government program of investment in naval infrastructure, focused on the city of Phnom-Penh, so that when the Khmer people make decisions as to their future, they can do so without fear of either their neighbors or the pirates who prey upon the peaceful commerce of that region.

Of course, these physical means of maintaining independence would be hollow without increased investment in the political and educational institutions serving these peoples. At present, only primary education, in French and Chinese, and in the thought of Confucius, is widely available. Opportunities for secondary and higher education are available only in district capitals and by examination only, and it is only there that a minority can at present have their horizons broadened. This system will not prepare a people to stand in an age dominated as ours is by the power of industry. Science and medicine, the intellectual strength of the modern world, must be introduced. To this end I announce the sale of land in Indochina now held by the French government to finance a system of colleges to train teachers in mathematics and science. These new teachers will find employment in an expanded system of primary and secondary education, so that future generations of the peoples of Indochina will be able to stand on their own and develop their futures as they see fit.

Finally, I announce that in 1945 the French government will sponsor a plebiscite on the political future of the peoples of Indochina. We will lay before them the following choices; to continue the present relations with France, to join in the French Union as an independent state, benefiting from relations with a global political, economic, and cultural association of vast richness and variety, and an amicable parting of ways.

With this policy foundation established, I am confident in the futures of France, and of the strong and talented peoples that history has brought into association with her."

Monday, November 13th 2006, 8:11pm

...hmmm...

I notice 'returning to Siamese control' for the area west of the Mekong, is not within the options listed. ;-)

Monday, November 13th 2006, 8:15pm

official statement:

"The Siamese Government welcomes this inititive by France, and hopes that the peoples of South-East Asia can exercise their independent rights without the need for bloodshed. However the political winds of France are swift to change and we will be watching this situation closely.*

"The Siamese Government would also like to remind the nations of the world that the lands held by France south and west of the Mekong River are, by rights, Siamese, and were taken under duress by the French Empire at the time. We hope that the 'new attitude' of France torwards its colonial possessions can include the returning of unethically taken territories to their rightful possessors."

(* - I.E., continuing to arm certain factions, to keep the French honest.)

Tuesday, November 14th 2006, 12:37am

Official Statement of the government of France

It strikes us as surpassingly unlikely that, with the prospect of political, educational, and economic development in association with the French Union before the Khmer people living on the territory the Siamese despot desires, the Khmer people there would choose to submit themselves to the onerous yoke that despot would impose upon them in order to slake, no doubt very temporarily, his lust for conquest and dominion.

It strikes us as much more likely that the Khmer minority he presently misrules will look longingly upon developments across the border, and will make considerable efforts to gain the benefit of them."

Tuesday, November 14th 2006, 4:31am

Fireworks!

Who's bringing the popcorn?

Tuesday, November 14th 2006, 6:36am

Impatience isn't a vertue, its a vice!

Tuesday, November 14th 2006, 3:31pm

Fight's on! Fight's on!

"The Siamese Government was hoping that we could extend the hand of friendship to France, and that old wounds could be buried. But instead of even extending a counterproposal the French government responds with accusations, libel and threats. Let this be evidence to those who have received "promises", of the true face of France."

(Mr. M. ensures that the various SATSUMA nations quietly receive a copy of the French message, to show them how 'the Frog speaks with forked tongue'.)

Tuesday, November 14th 2006, 4:06pm

*carefully stores all Siamese replies for use in Navalism...*

Tuesday, November 14th 2006, 8:16pm

"The government of Atlantis is currently reviewing any and all economic deals with the Siamese government including the recient rail scout car deal.

We find it deeply disturbing that they would choose this time to reafirm their ancient claims at a time when France is making a considerable effort to reverse its past transgressions and incite anti French sentiment in the region".

Tuesday, November 14th 2006, 8:54pm

Ancient? Less than 30 years old.

Seems to me it was the French who where stirring up Anti-Siamese sentiment in their message.

Australia will be keeping a very close eye on happenings to the North.

Wednesday, November 15th 2006, 12:07am

Aren't the French essentially arming their dependancies? which'll probably go very wrong in a decade or so if we can take historical precedent.

Wednesday, November 15th 2006, 2:52am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
"The government of Atlantis is currently reviewing any and all economic deals with the Siamese government including the recient rail scout car deal.

We find it deeply disturbing that they would choose this time to reafirm their ancient claims at a time when France is making a considerable effort to reverse its past transgressions and incite anti French sentiment in the region".

Wasn't it the 1880s historically that the French snatched large chunks of Siam away?

IIRC, the rationale was that, instead of the border being the centreline of the Mekong, the French demanded to the western edge of the Mekong watershed...

Anway, official response:

"Siam is willing to meet with Atlantean officials to discuss the matter clarify its position and calm Atlantean fears. The issue at hand is not ancient, but within the last 50 years. We merely proposed that the region in question be given the option, in the French proposed plebescite, of returning to Siam. The French reply speaks for itself.

If France is willing to speak cordially and professionally on the issue, then we will respond accordingly. However it should not be surprising that a nation described in the terms used by the French should be offended."

Wednesday, November 15th 2006, 3:33am

"The Chilean Government, overhearing some of the issues in the news, would suggest that is it not impossible for the locals of Indochina to vote for independence and then, after they are no longer French subjects, petition so rejoin the Kingdom of Siam on their own accord."

Wednesday, November 15th 2006, 4:08am

Map and Link, Siam Territorial Losses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_…%281768-1932%29

Wednesday, November 15th 2006, 10:48am

Official Atlantean responce to Siamese government.

"While we will not dismiss the claims made by the Siamese government we do find the timing of the renewed calls ill timed. That being said we would look forward to multi-party talks to openly discuss the issue in an effort to resolve the matter.

I don't think I need to remind the Siamese government that the French and Atlantean governments are bound to defend each other in times of conflict via the FAR defensive treaty. Resolving this issue with force would prove most disasterous for all party's involved.

We would most certainly prefer to handle the issue peacefull as both party's may or may not have valid points that should be explored diplomatically."

Wednesday, November 15th 2006, 2:48pm

Thanks, DF.

Reply to Atlantis:

"Siam has of course no quarrels with Atlantis or Russia, and is willing to explore diplomatic options with France, if the French are willing."

(A much more quiet note is passed noting that while Atlantis is bound to defend France, Denmark is bound to defend Siam - and the Danes are part of AANM...)

Wednesday, November 15th 2006, 3:02pm

A brief statement by Samraja Brashkar II of Bharat, to various reporters on 1 November 1932:

"I applaud the government of France for its decision to empower the people of Indochina through economic, educational, and political development. In private correspondence with M. Poincare, I have expressed my hope and interest in such a bold initiative and am very pleased to see it become reality.

"It would not surprise me if M. Poincare were to face some domestic opposition to this bold initiative. No doubt some fear for French glory, power, and influence. I would remind those neigh-sayers that there is glory in offerring a helping hand and treating others as equals. There is power to be had from allowing people to reach their full potential. There is influence to be had by making the right decisions, and not the easy decisions.

"As an example of this latter point, I will shortly present what is being called the Indochina Protocol. In essence, it is a contract stipulating how Bharat and the members of the South Asian Trade, Scientific Undertaking, and Military Accord will respond to French initiatives in Indochina, as raised by M. Poincare. I believe that such an protocol will, if ratified by the nations in question, allow Indochina to benefit from a peaceful and cooperative international political climate during its developmental years. We may find it also leads to a more normalized and mutually beneficial relationship between France, Bharat, and their respective allies."

When ask about the Siamese statements, Brashkar adds:

"I am aware of the Siamese position regarding the boundaries of Siam and Indochina. The Indochina Protocol does not speak specifically to this matter, and does not commit any party to an action that would constrain the ability of Siam and France to resolve this debate. If the two nations believe Bharat can be of service in resolving the matter, I will offer my services."