You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 4:45am

Peruvian news and events-Q3 1932

July 7 1932 - The War Ministry announced today the arrival of a German military mission under former General Helmut Kundts to help in the training of the growing Peruvian Army. The same source reported "this mission in no way means a formal alliance exists between the German nation and ours. They are civilians subcontracted by our nation to aide our officers in the integration of the new weapons arriving to our armed forces."

July 29 1932 - The Foreign Minister's office is happy to report a non-aggression treaty has been reached with our neighbor to the north, Colombia. The Office stated "the groundwork for this treaty was started in the middle of April after the visit of an Atlantean delegation to Lima open the door for conversations between the Colombian government and our own."

In unrelated news rumors have filtered that the possibility exists Foreign Minister De la Guarda will travel to Panama City from Bogota for an undisclosed reason.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 9:07am

Two Peruvian treaties in a few days... Looks like the Peruvian Minister responsible for international affairs had a lot to do lately. :o)

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 11:26am

The local situation kind of encourages quick action....

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 4:25pm

The Iberian-peruvian treaty of Mutual Assistance is NOT to Mexico's liking. Maybe I should have invaded Preu when I could have.

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 4:31pm

{chuckle} Perhaps that threat is what prompted the Treaty?

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 5:39pm

Mutual Assistance from Iberia would seem to go against the regular anti-European policies of most of the South American nations and Iberia in particular (former colonial power). Also positioning between the alliances of Altantis and Iberia would seem that Peru is courting both sides.

Just an observation. It might be inaccurate.

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 5:47pm

The historical animosity with Iberia is there, certainly. But the needs of the moment may outweigh things like that. And courting both of the major outside powers when there are perceived threats on other borders seems most wise.

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 6:33pm

Perhaps.

I'm more interested in what Brazil is going to do or not do.

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 9:19pm

Argentina is not anti-European.

Iberia poking its nose in might stir up a hornets nest but courting backup from the bigger powers is the only way. Not that Argentina has any wish to involve itself in Peruvian affairs.

Argentina is now friendly with SAE and Atlantis although there is still work to be done. Realtions are good with Italy too so Argentina looks safe enough.

Argentina looks northward and fears Brazilian intentions and wishes Chile could be an ally sometime in the future. As for Columbia we accept Atlantis has interests at stake.

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 9:24pm

August 15th 1932

Francisco De La Guarda shook his head, reading the text of the treaty he signed less than a day ago, while sitting in the seaplane taking him back from the ceremonies in Panama City. He was a simple man, even when his family was one of the elite families of his native country, driven by a desire to help his nation in standing up to the growing powers of the World.

“What I have done?” he asked himself but knowing perfectly well that he did all he could to try to end the isolation his nation was submerged during the 1920’s but them finding out the World considered them a non-entity. He opened his briefcase, took out his diary and opened it. He knew it was stupid to have one but he have dreams of writing his memoirs in the future, so he took a ballpen and began to write.

“I try to extend my hand and I only found closed doors. Germany was willing to continue a commercial relationship but not enter a formal alliance; South Africa refused outright as Atlantis did. At least they were polite when they slammed the door in our faces.” He stopped for a minute and signals an aide to bring him a cup of coffee, the aide nodding at the gesture and moving into the kitchen in search of the Minister’s coffee. “Iberia was the only nation that answered our gestures, them being also outcast in the Americas as we are. As such I proceeded to enter into furious negotiations with them that concluded in a Mutual Defense Treaty in what it could be considered record time. But why I feel like Faust after meeting Mephistopheles?”

He put his pen down and the closed the notebook, the aide setting the tray with his coffee in front of him. Francisco sipped his coffee while staring out of the window into the future he has helped create, silently praying for the best.

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 10:06pm

So when will De La Guarda's autobiography be available in the stores? :-)

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 10:45pm

Excellent post, and intriguing.

Wednesday, October 25th 2006, 12:55am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
{chuckle} Perhaps that threat is what prompted the Treaty?

Oh I don't know about that, Atlantis had zero interest in Peruvian territory which is why the Peru-Colombia treaty was encouraged, as for Atlantis turning down an alliance outright, when did that happen?

IIRC the answer was a suggestion to attempt to improve relations with Chile and see where things went from there...

Its also odd considering Iberia had been incredibly silent in reguards to matters in the region.

I think Francisco De La Guarda has his own tilted interpretation of events.

Wednesday, October 25th 2006, 1:03am

Quoted

Oh I don't know about that, Atlantis had zero interest in Peruvian territory which is why the Peru-Colombia treaty was encouraged

The original comment was a response to the comments from Mexico about wanting to invade Peru, it had nothing to do with Atlantis.

Wednesday, October 25th 2006, 1:21am

My reply was more or less to state that Mexico would not be alone in its concern.

It would be interesting to hear the news from Iberia itself, which is still charactoristically silent in reguards to matters concerning South America, which is why this is really perplexing.

Wednesday, October 25th 2006, 2:13am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin

I think Francisco De La Guarda has his own tilted interpretation of events.

Exactly. You can say his views are very biased indeed. And remember he's trying to write his memoirs so he better put himself in a good light while attacking the other side.

Wednesday, October 25th 2006, 2:18am

Iberia's been silent, due to me being up to my neck in work....Christmas is only round the corner after all!!

Wednesday, October 25th 2006, 2:28am

Unfortunately the silence has gone on for abit longer than the last few months!

Wednesday, October 25th 2006, 2:47am

Iberia seems to be taking wait a see approach to its remaining colonies (or federated territories). Trying to act as either a big brother, old uncle to the former colonies in South America (and Mexico), but it seems most of the former colonies would rather have nothing to do with their crazy old uncle who married the tramp.

I'm more interested in Brazil's reaction.

Wednesday, October 25th 2006, 3:36am

Brazil is another nations thats been somewhat silent lately and it would be interesting to hear what Fyrwulfs thoughts are on the matter.

From and OOC perspective the silence is quite frustrating. My storyline in Colombia is an example of a storyline put on hold for lack of colaberation once interest has been shown.

I understand that we have lives outside the sim but politics and ship building do follow a timeline/pattern that involve a certain level of participation.