You are not logged in.

Sunday, August 31st 2003, 9:57pm

Alternate WW1

How would these alliances stack up and how could they be formed. Oh and by the way this all starts durring the russo/japanese war.

Alliance A

Britain
Japan
France
Serbia
Turkey
Spain
Belgium

Alliance B

Russia
Germany
Italy
Austria/Hungary
Romania

Nuetral

U.S.
Norway
Switzerland
Albania
Greece
Bulgaria

How would a world war spawn out of the Russo/Japanese war and how would the nuetral powers react? Would entirely different alliances be formed? The U.S. seemed simpathetic to the Japanese position while Germany seemed to lean towards the Russians.

Thursday, September 4th 2003, 11:25pm

wow

16 veiws and not a single opinion on this one guys.....are we sleeping?!!! Is there any other alliance you could see form up?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, September 4th 2003, 11:49pm

Well....

Obviously this is way too complex to be answered with a short statement...

...and it is, at least, beyond the scope of my wisdom.

Sorry,

HoOmAn

17inc

Unregistered

Friday, September 5th 2003, 6:53am

OK what idear for a start year did the did 1St world war

OK what year did the ALT 1ST world war start becores the way i see it if where looking at 1905 russo/ japanese war then theres just one dreadnout and a lot of predreads but if Russer where looking for a round 2 say somwhere in 1914 or 1915 is that what we looking at for a ALT strat date for a war

Friday, September 5th 2003, 6:06pm

Well i'll only comment on naval matters.

With Predreadnoughts, because it is 1905, the RN can beat every other navy in the world at the same time. Their level of dominance is uncomprehendable. Of course in 1906 we have dreadnought, if Britain was at war i would expect sisters to be comissioned around the same time and there would not be the historical gap to the minotaur/neptune and so on. Britain having a squadron of 4-5 dreadnoughts can win any battle, except against an entire fleet of PreD. the RN also has dominance in PreD.

Couple the RNs dominance to the French being in the same alliance and we have total dominance, france being the second largest navy at this time, soon to be outdone by Germany however.

In other words, Alliance 1 will have complete sea control.

Friday, September 5th 2003, 11:26pm

I reckon RA's correct about the naval match-up. It's not going to be close at all. And I'm not sure how the Russians will wind up opposing the French. They were pretty tight at the time.

I have a possible scenario in mind, but will need to check up treaty relations before I present it. Give me a day or two.

To clarify - do you intend for the R-J war to escalate into a global conflict, or to set the diplomatic groundwork in place for a second, subsequent, and somewhat later world war?

Saturday, September 6th 2003, 3:21am

ok lets start over

The Russo/Japanese war begins as normal but how could/would other nations get involved? The U.S. was generally pro Japanese at the time.

Saturday, September 6th 2003, 6:31pm

Well, in 1905 France and Germany almost went at it over Morocco, which both were trying to gain as a protectorate...

So, during the R-J war, but prior to Morocco, suppose Russia formally requested military assistance from France. France declines, not wanting to risk conflict with Japan's ally, Britain. Russia angrily breaks off the Dual Alliance.

When Morocco comes to a head, the Kaiser, rather than backing down as historical, thus feels confident enough to attack France. Britain comes to France's aid under the Entente Cordiale, while Austria-Hungary joins the Germans.

Since they're already at war with Britain, Germany promises to aid Russia in the Pacific if the Russians declare war on Britain. The Russians do so; whether they declare on France is another matter.

Serbia and Belgium come in with the Entente Cordiale. Italy attempts to stay neutral or allies with France and Britain - her more recent treaties with France historically undermined her presence in the Triple Alliance.

Turkey could be a wildcard; Britain would want Turkey to cut off Russian access to the Med, but also has issues with Turkey over massacres of the Christian population just seven years earlier. Turkey might also be reluctant to oppose allied A-H and Russia - or, their combined threat might be enough to have them side with Britain.

Anyway, the line up looks like:

Britain
France
(Italy)
Japan
Belgium
Serbia

Germany
Austria-Hungary
Russia

If you really want to upset the cart, get the Americans involved after they lose merchant ships - to a British blockade of Germany and Russia. That'll help even things up a bit.

It's a suggestion. I don't guarantee that it's all plausible.

Saturday, September 6th 2003, 9:05pm

well

suppose turkey did enter the war on the side of Germany/Russia/Ausria-Hungary, this would likely encourage the Italians to join the allies as I'm sure they have issues with Turkey and wouldn't feel to safe with a Russian fleet breaking out into the Med. How large was the Russian fleet anyway? Even if the Americans jioned the axis side I don't think their fleet is a match for the British/French/Japanese fleets, but they could lend some extra manpower. Its unlikely though that they would side against a fellow anglo nation.

Monday, September 8th 2003, 3:46pm

I imagine Italy's actions would be influenced more by A-H than Turkey.

The size of the Russian fleet very much depends on how far along the R-J war is when this whole scenario blows up. I haven't pinned down exactly when Morocco took place.

Since the Americans were still laying out contingency war plans against England as recently as the '30s, I see no reason to assume they'd be reluctant to fight Britain if the right circumstances were there. You may be right that the numbers wouldn't be even anyway, but an American alliance with the Germans would force the Brits to spread their forces that much thinner.

Monday, September 8th 2003, 5:48pm

Quoted

Since the Americans were still laying out contingency war plans against England as recently as the '30s, I see no reason to assume they'd be reluctant to fight Britain if the right circumstances were there. You may be right that the numbers wouldn't be even anyway, but an American alliance with the Germans would force the Brits to spread their forces that much thinner.

Bear in mind that the US is divided from Europe by the Atlantic ocean and is faced by the 2 most powerful fleets. Also the the US fleet at this time really wasn't very good. Poor ships and poor training. Before WWII the USN had about 52 hours of real experience fighting.