You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, July 30th 2006, 1:05pm

Rising Sun Victorious

I have just finished this book published by Greenhill and edited by Peter G. Tsouras.

Like the other AH titles Greenhill has published this book looks at several key moments in the Pacific War and makes different scenarios or outcomes. Both chance and different plans can have a big effect. Battles/camapgins covered include; invasion of Russia instead of SE Asia, what if America implemented Plan Orange, what if Nagumo launched a third strike against Pearl, invasion of Australia, invasion of India and Kurita gets through to Leyte Gulf. Focus is also on intelligence and political aspects of the war, not just fighting.

I enjoyed this book very much and it features much more naval combat than the other AH titles. I found the scenarios plausable and certainly they gave me food for thought. On the whole a better book than 'Third Reich Victorious' which I found covered much the same ground as 'The Hitler Options'. One of the things I liked best was the absence of 'superweapons' etc, most of the actions are based on real events and only differ in small details. Of course the outcomes are decided by the authors but we could learn alot here to script our own combat here in WW. In all a great book that I recommend you read.

Monday, July 31st 2006, 6:17am

It's a pretty alright book. Some of the scenarios are a bit far-fetched IMHO - the "Kurita makes it through to Leyte Gulf" and "Plan Orange" scenarios in particular - but the others are great. Nagumo's 3rd Strike is an excellent read.

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 1:19pm

Do you have the ISBN ????

Kind regards

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 9:48pm

Sure,

ISBN 1-85367-446-X

Also Third Reich Victorious
ISBN 1-85367-492-3

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 8:56am

Thanks for the numbers.

Friday, November 14th 2008, 9:15pm

RE: Rising Sun Victorious

AH is not my thing, but there is a book that you may find interesting, Japanese Military Strategy in the Pacific War by Wood. I can't say I recommend it, but it is an interesting treatment and conversation starter. I posted a review at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Military-…26693695&sr=1-1

Wednesday, November 19th 2008, 7:27pm

RE: Rising Sun Victorious

Quoted

Originally posted by Tiornu
AH is not my thing, but there is a book that you may find interesting, Japanese Military Strategy in the Pacific War by Wood. I can't say I recommend it, but it is an interesting treatment and conversation starter. I posted a review at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Military-…26693695&sr=1-1

I read Your review.
Thanks now I will stay as faraway from that book as humanly possible.