You are not logged in.

Friday, July 28th 2006, 5:57pm

Indian News - Q2, 1931

Catching up...

30 April

Final results have been in nearly all cities following India’s second round of civic elections two days ago. In general, the elections went smoothly and without incident, but there were a few aberrations.

In Mumbai, supporters of the two leading candidates, actors Shyam Sachin and Rama Jaswant, clashed outside a number of voting booths and cinemas showing films by the two stars. The Mumbai constabulary reported that seventy-nine arrests were made, many of them at local hospitals; there were no reports of deaths. Sachin, best known for his work in the 1928 epic “The Emperor and His Lady”, prevailed, with 38% of the vote, while Jaswant, an action star from hits such as “The Battle of Port Blair”, and the more recent, “Pirates of Madagascar”, came in second with a 32% tally.

In Delhi, election officials are recounting the votes after a very close race between the leading candidates there. The initial return indicated that businessman P Nand had defeated Dawood Sharma, a retired army officer, but the difference in votes was barely eight hundred. Confirmation of the results is expected in the next three days.

Overall voter turnout was estimated at 51%, an increase of eight points over the inaugural 1927 elections. Chittagong citizens were again particularly active, 85% of them casting a ballot, versus their compatriots in Pune, where barely 29% turned out but gave Pranab Ibrahim, the incumbent, a decisive victory nonetheless.

18 May

Further investigation into the copied Indian torpedos found at a pirate base in the Spratly Islands has turned up an unexpected twist.

Admiral Kashiram Paswan told reporters, “Interrogation of several prisoners in Filipino custody, along with an examination of physical evidence at Mischief Reef, has led us to conclude that Daya Chopras led the pirate torpedo manufacturing process.”

Chopras was one of several executives involved in the Torpedoworks Alleppey scandal that saw poorly manufactured torpedos sold to the Indian Navy. Although he fled the country during the post-Andaman Sea Situation investigations, he was found guilty in absentia of fraud and uttering threats, and was sentenced to life in prison if arrested.. His brother Saif was one of three men executing by mauling.

Admiral Paswan assured the media that Indian authorities are working with their counterparts in the Philippines and elsewhere to track down Chopras. “A man with the ability and willingness to build torpedoes for a criminal operation is somebody we strongly want put out of business”, he said.

1 June

The Naval Design Bureau has fallen just short of a potentially lucrative contract with Argentina. Chief Designer Ashok Ambedkar told AWNR, “We submitted a design with heavy guns and modest speed, and the re-drafted a version with a greater number of smaller guns at Argentine request.”

Although it seemed that the Indian design might have been the leading contender, an Atlantean design proved to be the eventual winner. Ambedkar seemed unfazed by the decision. “I think we produced the best design there. Fact is, I think word of Babur’s sale leaked out to the Argentinians and it tainted the decision-making process.”

He noted that the design is still on the market. “Our own Navy doesn’t think it’s appropriate for our own situation, but other navies with different circumstances may feel otherwise. We certainly invite them to come and talk with us about modifying the design to their specifications.

4 June

India’s ambassador to Nordmark, Mohandas* Gandhi, says that Nordish concerns over the sale of the battleship Babur to Peru are well-founded.

“With Peru now joining the over-long list of nations with dreadnoughts, we must wonder if Bolivia or Colombia can be far behind. Whether or not they perceive a genuine need for such vessels, will they be able to overcome the natural urge to out-do their neighbour?”

Ambassador Gandhi added, “We as a nation can not assume that our responsibilities for global peace end with following the letter of the Cleito Treaty. We must the potential impact of each item we propose to sell abroad, not merely count the currency that will accrue to us.”

(*Historically better known as Mahatma outside India)

25 June

Foreign Affairs Minister Jal Kadharni is pleased with the results of a lengthy Chinese mission to India. “We discussed a number of issues affecting India and China, such as Hainan Dao. India is of the opinion that a peaceful, diplomatic solution to the Hainan Dao dispute is in China’s best interests at this time, and hope that China and Iberia will continue discussion on the matter.”

The Chinese military delegation was fairly busy, visiting ports and aerodromes. The Chinese navy acquired licences for three different warship types, and ordered a modified Nanda Devi class frigate with a 1932 lay-down date. A number of aircraft were also purchased.

Minister Kadharni confirmed that there had been some discussion about China and SATSUMA. “I think we both see areas of mutual interest between China and the members of SATSUMA. If China were to petition for membership, I think there would be gains for us all.”

27 June

India’s Ambassador to Nordmark, Mohandas Gandhi, has resigned his position. He spoke to Nordmarchian and Indian reporters outside the Indian embassy in Stockholm this afternoon:

“I have grown weary of watching my government peddle its wares of death to any nation willing to buy: Poland, Argentina, Peru, Turkey, China. It seems we will sell anything to anybody for the right price, no questions asked.”

Although the sale of a second battleship to Turkey dismayed Mr. Gandhi, it was the recent deal with China that broke the elephant’s back. “I find it inconceivable that on one hand, India states its preferfence for peaceful solution to the matter of Hainan, and on the other hand, that we give China the knowledge it requires to build landing craft that could be used to invade San Hainando”, Mr. Gandhi said. “I must wonder if our government’s real message is that China should seek a peaceful solution until a military solution becomes possible!”

Foreign Affairs Minister Kadharni responded to these comments by saying, “Mr. Gandhi has served India well during his long tenure in cold and remote Nordmark. I regret that he has chosen to end his service in such an unprofessional manner; Nordmark can rest assured that we will appoint a suitable successor at the earliest opportunity.”

Friday, July 28th 2006, 6:06pm

[Excellent stuff, Rocky! I can do events, but getting the more human side of things..... there I bow to the master.]

Friday, July 28th 2006, 6:12pm

Rats another friendly ambassador's gone.

Well written as usual.

Friday, July 28th 2006, 6:39pm

*sighs* So he's gone completely? Rats, I wanted to drive Ghandi around the bend ;)

Friday, July 28th 2006, 6:58pm

It's not like he's dead, he's just unemployed.

Heck, he probably hasn't even left Stockholm yet.

Friday, July 28th 2006, 7:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor

Heck, he probably hasn't even left Stockholm yet.

True, but what other reason would he be in Brazil than as an ambassador?

Friday, July 28th 2006, 7:07pm

Quoted

Well, we can always change that!

Friday, July 28th 2006, 7:13pm

Quoted

Well, we can always change that!

Only if Manzo can sneak away from "Talons Over Cordoba" for a week.

Quoted

True, but what other reason would he be in Brazil than as an ambassador?

Perhaps he'll take up the plight of Brazil's indigenous peoples?

Friday, July 28th 2006, 7:22pm

Quoted

Perhaps he'll take up the plight of Brazil's indigenous peoples?

That he could. Although honestly, it's not much of a plight, because the Empire didn't fall and there aren't any oligarchs being... well, oligarchs.

Friday, July 28th 2006, 7:59pm

Hmm, Native Rights groups.

Chile dealt with them in several ways..some serverlly and other by integration...hense the naming of the new light cruisers (and carrier) after native nations to the country of Chile.

Saturday, July 29th 2006, 1:45am

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
...and the more recent, “Pirates of Madagascar”, came in second with a 32% tally....

A Bollywood pirate movie!

I assume there are many song-and-dance numbers?

Great post, by the way.

Saturday, July 29th 2006, 4:10am

It's possible the Indian sailors and the pirates engaged in a dance-off, with the losers forced to walk the plank.