You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, July 22nd 2006, 10:53pm

Captain Harlock

No, not the WW one. Just wondering if it's worth getting the Endless Odyessy box set if you havent' seen any of the previous works.

Saturday, July 22nd 2006, 11:31pm

Should be Okay

Not sure on that one. It is well done, but there are things that referance earlier works that might not be gotten without the original series (which I don't think is avalible). Hopefully that doesn't detract much from the boxed set.

Be as it may, he really doesn't do a lot of "pirating" here.

I started with the "Harlock Saga" followed by the "Galaxy Express 999" films and then "Cosmo Warrior Zero". All of which really don't seem to be apart from all the others, or are connected in some ways but not others.

Now if you wanted to get a picture of Tochiro Oyama (or in WesWorld his great-uncle) you'd need the "Gun Frontier" series. Or perhaps the "Endless Orbit SSX" series, but I had a hard time finding that one...and I mostly have to guess what they are saying, as it is without subtitles and in Japanese.

Sunday, July 23rd 2006, 12:00am

Shame on me! While I have a few Matsumoto things (including the book "Reiji Matsumoto' World") I still have to get the Harlock stuff.
^_^;;

Sunday, July 23rd 2006, 12:42am

All the other anime stuff I was looking at seemed unreasonaly expensive I was looking into picking up Area 88, but appearently that hasn't all been released yet.

Also, anyone know anywhere to get reasonably priced versions of the older Harlock series and the SB Yamato stuff? Preferably dubbed.

Sunday, July 23rd 2006, 7:49am

Space Battleship Yamato still wins...but Harlock fits the sim better.

eBay. At least for Star Blazers. I don't know if you'll be able to find any old Harlock stuff that is dubbed...or at least that isn't "Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years" which is a fusion of two Matsumoto series...and reportedly not done very well. (oddly brought to the United States by the same people that made Robotech). I've not seen it myself. I bought all my subtitled Harlock, Yamato, and Galaxy Express stuff on eBay. Of course I also boiught most of my Jane's Fighting Ships on ebay as well. The trouble is finding a subtitled version...I have only about 2/3rd of the original Harlock series with subtitles...the rest I have without (because I got tired of waiting the the guy that was doing the subbing).

If you speak French I imagine you could find Albator someplace. From what I understand its about the same as the Japanese version of Harlock. Not as many plot changes as in the American version.

From Harlock Saga and onwards you can find about all the Harlock series and related films on DVD in the United States.

Thursday, July 27th 2006, 5:51am

I use eBay to find a lot of stuff, but I'm not too keen on getting anime off it. It's hard to photocopy a Jane's and try and pass it off as an original. And from a brief look, it seems people are trying to sell ripped copies of this stuff for insane prices.