You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 6:00pm

New Chinese Army

Hmmmm. I think it's more than a little early for China (anyone, really) to have armored divisions.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 7:58pm

More than slightly early for China. Lack of roads?

Camels, horses and Bicycles are the best bet for mobility at the current time.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 11:34pm

I consider this to be an armored division as well.
:-)
Of course, this has got to be one of the earliest types of armored units.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 12:30am

I guess it depends on your definition of armored division ;)

China's could be just a bunch of FT-17s piled together with no motorized infantry support.

Ubiwan

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 7:51am

Problems with my new Chinese army?

"I guess it depends on your definition of armored division ;) "
That hits the nail the head ;-).

Surely it is a little early for armored divisions but I do not have also yet the exact list in the head.
And how one designates otherwise a division, which contains tanks, except as an armored division? ;-)))

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 8:29pm

The deciding factor is how many tanks in your division? If there is more infantry, even if motorised, then it is not an armoured division. Seperate tank companies can be formed but larger formations are too early, and anyway China will need foreign assistance in learning tactics, maintence etc, after all most of the soldiers are unskilled peasants. It will be a steep and long learning curve.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 9:51pm

Armor?

The troops could be wearing plate or chain mail...and thus it would be an "armored" division, right?

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 12:10am

I agree. After all it's armor and it has been around for a while.
Things I am thinking of are the Testudo formation, Phalanx formation, Cataphracts and let's not forget the Elephant units. I think that the Roman Testudo formation looks a bit like an ancient 'tank'.

Ubiwan

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 8:58am

That is already everything conscious to me. Rome was also not built on one day. The published list does not mean also that it is valid immediately. It is a far way up to then.

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 12:27pm

Quoted

After all it's armor and it has been around for a while.

Shurely armour?

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 12:31pm

Quoted

Shurely armour?

Depends on which version of English you're using.

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 1:04pm

Quoted

Depends on which version of English you're using.

The correct version.... :)

Ubiwan

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 1:28pm

####################
Armour or Armor or Amor ????
This is the question !!!!!
####################

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 5:22pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

After all it's armor and it has been around for a while.

Shurely armour?

That's what you get when you stay in Canada for too long! ^_^
Normally I write it the British way, not the North American Way.
Amor?!

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 5:24pm

According to the dictionary, "armour" is a limited use variant of "armor" used primarily by the British.

From Latin armâtûra, "equipment". So any English use of it will be based on the French influence from 1066.

So what is the pre-French word for it...that would be the "proper" English word.

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 7:48pm

Quoted

According to the dictionary, "armour" is a limited use variant of "armor" used primarily by the British.

The OED says "armour", which is also used in Oz and NZ. Would you trust a nation that can't pronounce "aluminium" and "lever" correctly? or my personal favourite; Georgia -> Jorjar

Amor is not a word, Amour is French for "love"

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 8:26pm

Who says "Jorjar"?

As for spelling of armor verses armour, in the english language, both are correct based on how the English would write out French and Latin words. Both -or and -our were used. However around the time the British codified the language to be -our, was about the same time as the colonial split, and thus the Americans in the Webster's Dictionary use -or. Such as Honor and Color.

Saturday, July 15th 2006, 1:41pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

The OED says "armour", which is also used in Oz and NZ. Would you trust a nation that can't pronounce "aluminium" and "lever" correctly? or my personal favourite; Georgia -> Jorjar

Amor is not a word, Amour is French for "love"

Hate to say it, but the colonial renegades actually have "aluminum" right. On this one occasion, it's the mother country being awkward...

Saturday, July 15th 2006, 11:57pm

English like any other language has its own indiginous dilects so I wouldn't get picky on spelling.

Take Canada for example, we speak two languages, English and French, both not entirely spoken exactly as the mother country's intended. The French absolutely froth at the mouth when listening to a French Canadian speak "French".

Americans think Canadians are saying "aboot" when we say about.

Sunday, July 16th 2006, 8:28am

Funny that you mention the French. When I was on holiday in Quebec in December 1999, we had this bus tour through the city. There were four on the Bus: me, my mom and a French couple. The French couple had a hard time understanding what the Guide told them in French.

'Aboot'??
What's that all aboot!? :-)

Quoted

Hate to say it, but the colonial renegades actually have "aluminum" right. On this one occasion, it's the mother country being awkward...

Why is that? Aluminum 'has a less classical sound'. Also 'the "ium" spelling is the most widespread version around the world' (from here) so the motherland has to be right, right?

Quoted

Would you trust a nation that can't pronounce "aluminium" and "lever" correctly? or my personal favourite; Georgia -> Jorjar

What about Ark-an-saw?